Marines Bug Reports

ChrisND

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experiencing 3rd crash in a row (I am freaking out at this point) with Marines. Windows gives me an error message with a Send/Don't Send to Microsoft option and locks the game. I'm running Bootcamp (Os/X Tiger, Win XP service pack 2), so i am very, very, very worried about Marines and compatiability options at the moment. Original CMSF never displayed this kind of behavior.

For 30 seconds that the game did let me play i noticed vastly improved performance, so source of crashes in puzzling.

Any suggestions?

Hi All,

In CMSF Marines I have played one quick battle. I noticed that the targeting arcs do not seem to work for the lavs. The turrets keep facing forward. Also a small graphics glitch. Upon loading a team one of the back doors did not shut. It drove along and no one fell out but the door was open.

In CMSF with 1.10 patch the vehicle pathing seems odd. When you give a direct path, say a fast move order, it redraws the waypoints in a very illogical manner. Sending the vehicles all over the place when a direct route is obviously available. They make it to where they are going but not in the way one would like.

Regards John

Only had a chance to play one QB so far, but I noticed that the LAVs have a problem with leaving one or two of the rear doors open after disembarking and reembarking troops. Imagine my consternation when an RPG flew directly into the open troop compartent of one of my LAVs as it was driving around.

Only had a chance to play one QB so far, but I noticed that the LAVs have a problem with leaving one or two of the rear doors open after disembarking and reembarking troops. Imagine my consternation when an RPG flew directly into the open troop compartent of one of my LAVs as it was driving around.

This was spotted but it was yet to be addressed. Either that or delay again. :) It didn't adversely affect the performance of either units. So 1.11 here we come.

As posted in a thread I started before I saw this one: A UAZ dismount bug

Anyhow, there are definitely issues with dismounting from the UAZ: I had difficulty selecting the FOs once they were in their jeeps, and when I choose 'dismount' I found that their movement was restricted in the same way as if they were still in the jeep! Fortunately this only lasts for one move, after that they give up the idea that they have four wheels and act as Real men again. I didn't see if they move as fast as a jeep, will have to try it again and keep an eye on them.

Also, it seems that you can only press dismount once per turn. Very bad for indecisive commanders like me who tend to change their mind several times a turn while planning. This should be easily replicable, but I can throw over a save game if nec.

Not sure if this is a bug per-se...but as was pointed out earlier, vehicle pathing (BMP-1 in this scenario) seems to have changed?

What I saw was a BMP driving erratically along a seemingly straight stretch of road in between some buildings. Despite ending up at the end way-point it seemed to jink from left to right when there was no visual need for it i.e it's path was unobstructed. I have played this scenario many many times so it caught my attention straight away.

Curious.

i got the same LAV rear-hatch-won't-close issue. mounted up a recon platoon and every single one of the LAVs took off with rear hatches wide open.

vehicle pathfinding a little peculiar, as mentioned by others. I don't understand why my unarmored/unarmed MTVR decided it needed to face the enemy before allowing my Marines to disembark. The thing slowly rotated on a dime to face the enemy as Marines in the bed were getting picked off two at a time by a sniper and an enemy squad. Its the most frustrating thing in the world to watch that vulnerable open-top thing loaded with Marines slowly turning in place as i yell at my computer while violently clicking on the grayed-out "dismount" button.

Also, I'm not sure if this was something that was fixed in CMSF and then unfixed in Marines or something, or perhaps it was deemed too trivial for BFC to give their attention to it but... there is still an awkward visual glitch--weapon magazines suddenly move to awkward positions when their carriers do a FAST or QUICK type movement.

Have anyone else noticed how the behaviour of medics has changed? With 1.08 medic aid did not kick in when the unit was under moderate to heavy fire, which was good. Now medics seem to rush to the aid as soon as someone goes down. I had a three-man sniper team getting ambushed in the open at about 40 meters; one man went down, but instead of shooting back, the soldier carrying the grenade launcher starts performing first aid...

Vehicle pathing seems to have gone wonky on us. I had a M1A1SEP reverse to its designated waypoint, thru some trees. Reminded me of my driving skills...

Sgt Williams "Meach, reverse up that slope"

Meach "Which direction, Sergeant?"

Sgt Williams "for &%*) sake, you $*^"_(&^ idiot, you can only reverse in one direction!"

Meach "oh yeah"

In my head I was meaning after I reverse what facing should I have? up or down the hill? But it came out wrong. Meh.... I knew what I meant. So I kinda understand where the tanker was coming from...even if he went in the wrong direction.

We'll look into the pathing issues with vehicles. In fact, we're already talking about it in the tester area. Not sure what to say about it at this point, but obviously if we can nail something down we'll fix it.

The Campaign issue The Louch found is explained in a separate thread which bares his name. It's a parameter setting in the first battle that was not optimal.

Buddy Aid changes went through many iterations during testing, much to Charles' dismay :) We tried very hard to strike the correct balance between helping buddies and self protection. Soldiers do tend to abandon first aid when they feel threatened, however they are less likely to actively engage if they don't. Unfortunately, sometimes that's a judgement call that goes against what the player thinks should happen. Overall the testers were pleased about where we wound up vs. 1.08 (which they asked us to change) and the half dozen different compromises Charles punted out to us. That doesn't mean we can't tweak it a bit more, but it might be counter productive since to some extent it will always be about average results and never optimized for any particular circumstance.

Other issues have been commented on already so I'll pass on them.

Steve

In campaign, on veteran level, I get all enemies on the map marked as "?" from beginning of the mission. This did not take place in mission 1, but in mission 2 it happened, and now again in mission 4 (which is quite crowded with "?"s). I didn't notice this on mission 3 either. Is it intentional or a bug?

Zip

SPOILER ALERT!

About the Campaign. If you successfully complete the 1st mission "Beach Recon" with your Scout/Sniper teams. You have gathered intel on the Landing that will provide you with <?> rough locations on enemy dispostion. There are variable ways into "Amphibious Assault into Hamidiyah" with the recon intel & without.

The sceanrio designer can adjust how much pre battle intel goes into each scenario.

It is not a bug

Hi Steve,

Great to hear you are looking into the vehicle pathing issues. While playing Al Huqf in veteran WEGO (my testing ground for urban combat) I noticed more strange vehicle behaviour.

In one case I needed the BMP to change position in order to get a different firing angle due to the blocking of LOS/LOF due to one of the many low walls seperating the houses. I gave it a short (10 metre or so) reverse order and then a short hunt order towards it's new location. I watched as it reversed, then drove forward back to it's original start point, turned side on, moved across to the where the end hunt destination was, turned again (showing it's ass which prompting a rifle grenade in it's direction - it missed) then drove straight down the road about 40 metres (into a house) and stopped. Next turn I gave it a new hunt order back to where it came from and this was done without any trouble.

All of this was done in a T-junction of intersecting roads surrounded by low walls and houses. At no time did I have a space issue, the BMP had plenty of room for manouvre.

Hope this can be nailed down.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to mention a few more things that I thought were a little odd while playing Al Huqf on veteran level WEGO.

Firstly, what determines whether an important squad weapon (like the RPG-7) is picked up or not? I have had several cases where my hapless Red squad has not picked up the launcher after the gunner has fallen. Buddy aid is administered yet the launcher has not been picked up. The remaining squad of 8 guys has the RPG rockets in their inventory but no-one has deemed it important enough to pick up the launcher. They have remained in their position (a house) and are simply waiting for the next Blue attack. Surely, this should happen all the time? In 1.08 I saw this behaviour often and was very happy with it.

In a two man dedicated RPG anti-tank unit this should happen right? Gunner goes down, assistant gives buddy aid, then picks up launcher? Again, I didn't see this happen in Al Huqf. After buddy aid the gunner's body and launcher dissapeared leaving the remaining AT team member with his AK.

Secondly, in 1.08 I was pretty sure that when 8-9 AK's opened fire at a suicidal Blue squad running in the open I was sure to knock most of them down quite quickly. Since 1.10 I am not so sure anymore. I read that accuracy had been toned down, and I am aware that troop quality/experience, and suppression all play a part in how accurate outgoing fire is, but since the new patch, I watch in disbelief as loads of out-going fire seems to miss seemingly 'sitting duck' targets at relative close ranges (20-40 metres) The Blue troops will stop amongst the sickeningly hail of fire (in most cases in this scenario in the middle of a road), turn to face their newly acquired targets and rip off long bursts - killing/pinning etc my boys in good cover who literally had the jump on them. My Red fire just doesn't seem to hit them like it used too.

Am I seeing things/missing something here? The Blue boys are vets/cracks and regs in the Al Huqf scenario and my boys are all poorly led and easily freaked out regulars, but AK's fired 'en masse' into open and bunched up targets at close range would surely do more than just give your postion away.

I am not convinced that what I am seeing can be explained away by some extremely complicated abstraction...but would gladly like to hear otherwise...if it is indeed the case.

Cheers

We are aware of an issue with weapon recovery via Buddy Aid, which will be addressed in v1.11. I'll have the lads double check and make sure it's not happening for on the fly weapon recovery. We did test that specifically a while ago and found it worked fine, however if nobody has spare capacity to carry the weapon then nobody will pick it up. Which makes sense in most cases.

I'm not aware of a systemic problem with accuracy being unrealistic. Full auto bursts by a nervous, poorly trained soldier at 30m isn't a sure hit at anything other than the sky above :D Still, it's good to keep an eye on this.

Damage tracking between battles is on a wish list from a long time ago. Unfortunately, it's a tough nut to crack because there are other data implications so it hasn't been touched yet.

Steve