In Search of a Ghost - New Campaign

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Duke d'Aquitaine:

I just finished Crossroads, which was EXCELLENT. I really like playing on the same map a few times, gives the experience tactical depth.

I'm really looking forward to your next campaign, mate!

Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it.

New campaign will be out any minute now. Hope to see an AAR from you! ;)

--

Hey Spartan,

I tried to make it really well balanced but I have not tested it PBEM.

Against the AI only Blue.

If you want to give it a go, it would be great. Then tell me what you think. I'd be glad to make a tweaked version specially for PBEM based on your comments.

--

Originally posted by zwobot:

Yesterday I started Webwing's mini campaign Crossroads, it begins with an infantry only battle which seems to be playable as PBEM. You can get it at CMMODS, I am sure you will like it.

Love to hear what you think of the Crossroads trilogy after you finish it!

--

Originally posted by Guardsman:

Hi Webwing, just started your campaign, finished the first battle. Fantastic mate. Well constructed briefing and challenging first battle.

You have reignited my enthusiasm for CMSF. Well done!!!

Regards, Darren

Wow! Fantastic. I'm glad to hear that.

The first battle is just the antipasti. A small taste of what is about to come! ;)

--

Webwing... You've created an over the top cool campaign, "In search of a Ghost."

I've played the first two in the set of seven. I'll play it every chance I get this weekend. I seriously have got to tell you thanks. You've put a lot of time in this one and it shows. Fantastic job, the "Elite" of all the user battles out there. I'll give you my AAR Sunday night. Is it ok if I email it to you? I don't want to spoil this battle for anyone! Again, rocking cool!

Thanks a lot ThePhantom!

I really like your AARs because you point out all stuff that you think can be improved. And you know very well what you are talking about since you are a top mission designer yourself.

You can send it to my email but I guess people in the forum would enjoy reading it too.

Besides after what Taki* is doing there is no way for you to spoil anything anymore! :D

But it's up to you of course.

--

I think these types of campaigns are the only way to play the game because it forces you to take it slow and keep your guys alive. In scenarios the "flag rush" at the end is just to tempting for most players to resist. So many turns of careful planning go out the window in the last few mad minutes. A string of related scenarios with carry over loses is the only way to go. Of course the problem is designing/testing ect. not to mention the time involved for the designer.

Well done to Webwing and others who have taken the time to design these campaigns. By the way I did pretty good in the first battle: 2 KIA, 4 WIA, 2 missing, enemy surrender. Battle 2 in progress, the low wall issue is a problem here so we'll see.

One last thing, is anyone else depressed when you see the number of KIA'a at the end? I get depressed when I see one of my guys go down with a red dot. Sure it's just a game but watching a man die because you screwed up, man I'm glad I was in the air force.

Originally posted by Spartan:

Webwing Crossroads does not allow us to select Pbem is that correct?

Hm, you can't play ANY campaign multiplayer apparently!

Multiplayer is only allowed for single missions.

Crossroads was a single mission before it became the campaign.

I took the single mission away since it made no sense to me to have them both at CMMODS. You can always play it in the campaign if you want to.

But now it makes me think that I might have been wrong... :confused:

--

Originally posted by ThePhantom:

Webwing,

When you go to make a campaign you're asked to locate the campaign "script" text.... Where is that?

You need to create it.

There is a model to follow:

My Little Campaign.txt inside the game's folder.

Open it and you will see how it works.

Change it to suit your campaign and put it inside the same folder where your other campaign files are.

Remember to create the core units before anything else!

In the game manual BF recommends not to have only core units in the missions but you will need some core units anyway.

The way I did it was a bit radical. You only get core units all the way. :eek: :D

--

I went nuts on this one :) I replayed the first mission until I had no losses, cost me 5 re-runs, damn :-D

The tactics were clear: deploy a smokescreen around the left MG house, move left around the hill in front of it, suppress the people inside it from afar, breach the wall from behind, clear the houses. The rightmost MG house you take out with the F-16 and 10 mins of longrange fire from the first MG house.

I'm ready for Bravo mission 2, hehe.

Well done Duke!

Fantastic!

But don't think you will be able to finish the other missions without loses. I don't think it is doable.

But if you prove me wrong I will send you a signed T-shirt with "I killed the Ghost" in it! :D

10%/15% loses(KIA + WIA) in each mission is very reasonable. I planned the campaign taking that into account. If you take less loses the 3 last missions will be easier for you.

Remember that WIA has the same effect as KIA for the campaign purposes.

--

OK - The Bar has been set so high, you can't do just a basic scenario now. In Search of a Ghost ended the one scenario game in my book. The campaign makes you a better player. Now, I hate losing one guy. I don't even want to see one guy wounded.

Ok, maybe the battalion or company commander can get shot up - I never liked those guys, they always made me uncomfortable when I was in the service. They're useless in the field and they take all the credit for everything the platoon or company accomplishes. Now, I just use them as advanced scouts. I click on them and use the run command sending them off towards the enemy. Makes me feel powerful, anyway. Sorry, got off track there.

I am working on a new one, "A Day To Remember."

A Day to Remember! Hm, I like that!

But you are a perfectionist, so I expect this will be released only by the end of the year.

End of 2009, of course. :D

Just one thing Phantom, don't even think of starting to build your campaign before you finish playing the Ghost!!! tongue.gif

I'm looking forward to your AAR!!!

--

Originally posted by Webwing:

Well done Duke!

Fantastic!

But don't think you will be able to finish the other missions without loses. I don't think it is doable.

But if you prove me wrong I will send you a signed T-shirt with "I killed the Ghost" in it! :D

10%/15% loses(KIA + WIA) in each mission is very reasonable. I planned the campaign taking that into account. If you take less loses the 3 last missions will be easier for you.

Remember that WIA has the same effect as KIA for the campaign purposes.

--

Yes, 10-15% is where I ended up first time I played it. Good to know :)

It's true going back to single scenarios is difficult - getting to know your guys through several scenarios add a nice layer of roleplaying :)

Webwing, really enjoying the campaign until I got to mission 5 where you have only 25 minutes to take the hill and the hideout. It just meant the needless slaughter of good men as it was just too much to ask in the brief time period considering the large number of enemies. Of course if this scenario is working as you intended then you are indeed a cruel man. smile.gif

Otherwise excellent.

******* LOADS OF SPOILERS IN THIS POST ***********

Originally posted by bodkin:

Webwing, really enjoying the campaign until I got to mission 5 where you have only 25 minutes to take the hill and the hideout. It just meant the needless slaughter of good men as it was just too much to ask in the brief time period considering the large number of enemies. Of course if this scenario is working as you intended then you are indeed a cruel man. smile.gif

Otherwise excellent.

bodkin,

Thanks for the feedback

Sometimes we design something with a certain intention but others don't get it.

That means only one thing, we failed ! :D

Not the player.

I probably was trying to make this campaign feel too much like something alive and real and not something 100 pre planned. Unfortunately the only way to communicate with the player is the briefing.

The idea in this case of mission 5 was this:

I tell that it will be a really hard task and I tell you that you have to take the hiddeout.

Once you get to the site things are even worse than we expected and the enemy is waiting for us!

The mission is not called Hideout but Hill 440 which is already a hint. Also 30 minutes is clearly not enough to get to the hideout anyway. Another hint.

But I guess the message is a bit obscure.

If you only try to get the hill, it will not be a slaughter.

Stay put. get some suppressive fire on the machine guns and slowly go up the hill and take it.

Or, which is also realist. Ask for a surrender live with the defeat and go to the next mission where you get reinforcements.

I have also to confess that I am guilty of trying to put too many references to WWII. In this case the Normandy landings.

--