In Search of a Ghost - New Campaign

Sneak peak!

Here are some pages from a PDF file that will accompany this campaign.

It will help immerse yourself in the context of the campaign, with text, "photos" of the areas, maps, etc.

It has bit of a WWII feel to it I know. I just can't help it. ;)

This will be 95% infantry.

4 new maps. 6 missions.

I'll start converting it to 1.05. It's being tested and tweaked. Still quite a bit of balancing and so on. So bear with me.

Hope to have it out anytime before Christmas.

Thanks

--

sneakpeak.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is impressive. Done with a lot o' lerv! And almost all infantry - great! I love tanks and things that make big bangs, but infantry battles can be a joy, with a whole different slant on the game. I only wish campaigns could be dynamic ie damage, losses etc transfer from battle to battle.

Just downloaded 1.05 so looking forward to this.

Originally posted by handihoc:

Wow, that is impressive. Done with a lot o' lerv! And almost all infantry - great! I love tanks and things that make big bangs, but infantry battles can be a joy, with a whole different slant on the game. I only wish campaigns could be dynamic ie damage, losses etc transfer from battle to battle.

Just downloaded 1.05 so looking forward to this.

If you make it a branching campaign than it looks pretty dynamic. A lot more work though.

Losses, supplies, rest factor, all carry on from mission to mission, if the designer so wishes. Not damage to buildings though.

I'm using this and hope to upgrade it in the future to a branching campaign also.

--

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Really beautiful and detailed briefing screens...top notch!

Thanks,

There will be graphics for the briefing screens as well.

The pages here will be part of a PDF file. It will be sort of a report the commander should read prior to the campaign. ;)

I wanted to have a story linking the missions. Not just a lose string of missions that you play one after the other.

--

[ December 15, 2007, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Originally posted by War RaVeN:

Webwing,

Your presentations are always super, I looking forward with great excitement to your upcoming campaign.

Thanks WarRaVeN,

If all goes well after this I'll convert it to TOW with the new map editor!

A rogue German general that refuses to accept the end of the war. Sort of Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now!!! :D

This way you can get away with mixing all sorts of units and equipments!

I'd really like to do that. But we'll see. I'm more into CM:SF ATM.

--

Originally posted by zmoney:

Wow Web, you're really going all out. I really appreciate all the hard work. Keep it up.

Thanks zmoney,

I've had a project like this in mind for a long time. Finally found the game platform to make it materialize.

--

[ December 16, 2007, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Originally posted by handihoc :

QUOTE: Originally posted by webwing:

If you make it a branching campaign than it looks pretty dynamic. Losses, supplies, rest factor, all carry on from mission to mission, if the designer so wishes. -- QUOTE

OK, that's good news. I wasn't aware of it. Cheers!

It is probably the most important thing to use in the campaign and what made me want to do a campaign as opposed to just a string of missions.

You get this soldiers (a battalion in my case) and you have to take them through these missions. If you don't take good care of them you will start with a battalion but get to the last mission with what amounts to a company or less! And thus won't be able so succeed. So conserving the troops becomes paramount. You can't just throw them into battle. That makes the whole campaign a lot more realistic and involving.

Another nice feature is to have each company and platoon with it's own characteristics.

Able is where the elite troops are and Charlie where the recruit are. So they will play differently and get perform differently. Choosing the right troops for the job also makes a difference in the results.

Branching is a feature provided by BF. But to implement it means many more missions to design. It would take another couple of months to do. Maybe for an upgrade to the campaign in the future.

---

[ December 16, 2007, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

Webwing, you have amazed me once again. Looks great! Can't wait!

Thanks Fighting Seabee,

It's a shame you haven't got the time to test it.

Finally coming together! After 8 hours of work this weekend I got to play the whole campaign from start to finish in its latest form.

For the first time I see the light at the end of the tunnel! smile.gif

It's getting closer to what I had in mind in terms of quality if not in form.

--

--

Field Marshal Blücher is testing it and is doing a fantastic job, I must say.

All graphics, briefings and AI is done and working well. Done loads of balancing but you know how that works. It's never really finished you just decide when you want to stop.

I'm dealing with 7 missions here! It's a nightmare!!! :eek:

But answering your question:

I want it out before Christmas. :D

--

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wiggum,

It was supposed to be out before Christmas but testers still need to finish playing it.

It's finished. It's just testing now and some tweaking.

If you want to give it a go I could send it your way. But you need to send me the feedback then about every mission you play!!! ;)

--

Webwing:

"It's never really finished you just decide when you want to stop.

I'm dealing with 7 missions here! It's a nightmare!!! "

I can really appreciate that now that I'm working on one. I was planning for 5+ missions in but I think 4-5 will be enough work. I honestly could finish it today with just four but I don't feel that it's finished. Enjoy the holiday and look forward to seeing this one in the near future.