New Scenario - "Hammertime"

Mech heavy combat team under the command of "Hammer 6" drives hard and fast north along "Route 66". Laying in wait is a Syrian mech unit tasked with stopping the advance. Hammertime!

Best played H2H, or Blue Vs Red AI. Will also play Red Vs Blue AI.

Just updated to version 4 which makes a small Syrian OOB change.

You can get it over at CMMODS

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

[ October 19, 2007, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: George Mc ]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All!

Hey wow! Thanks for the feedback - great stuff :D

By the comments it seems you are all playing as Blue Vs Red AI? I've done a plan for the Blue side but I think the AI not being able to react like a human when attacking means playing the Blue AI has limited appeal. Nailing a M1 Abrams from the rear with a RPG is rather fun though - at least in it's pixel form...

Still if you play against the Blue AI be keen to hear how it went.

Thanks again and glad you are all enjoying it. Nice to hear.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

I played as Blue. Didn't take massive casualties, but ran out of time so I lost. I don't understand the 2-hour time limit. Why isn't there an unlimited option?

I could never beat that mission within 2 hours with the way i play....heh heh....

Hi Slaphappy

I'm still getting my head around how much longer action scan take in CMSF. If a built a scenario in CMX1 with 120 turns I think few people would go near it. :D

My timescale on it was based on how long it took me to get into the town plus some more. But then knowing the scenario means you go a bit faster.

It's easy enough for me to up the time frame for this smile.gif

In game you are stuck with the time the designer sets for the scenario - although if players want it is easy enough to chnage in the editor. Other good thing about this new editor is you can do that and not see what the other side has so you still keep that FOW.

Re your defeat. I did set some of the US parameters so that excessive ammo consumption would penalise the player. One design issue is how you give the player enough to know what constartints they are playing within, without your brief sounding like your guys are in a game. I'm sure RL briefs don't say "We can win this if we stay withing 20% KIA, 30% unit untact and we keep our ammo expenditure to 40%"... So any suggestions how the designer can get around this and still give the player an idea of what constartints they are in but maintain that immersion factor? smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi George!

Beautiful map, excellent concealed positions for vehicles, nice way of channelling blue force vehicles by marshland!!

As others have already mentioned, the scenario should be 2.5 to 3 hours long. I advanced carefully without losing vehicles until 01:30, then I started to rush the town with horrific results. I guess that with more time at my hand I could have taken the town and enjoyed myself, while now I am frustrated by what I consider an artificial constraint.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by George Mc:

So any suggestions how the designer can get around this and still give the player an idea of what constartints they are in but maintain that immersion factor?

My take on this is to just be honest with the player and don't worry so much about the immersion. I'd rather know via the briefing what the victory condition are than having to load up every scenario into the editor to check for myself. Many (many!) scenarios have poorly written briefings that play on the author's vanity but do very little to help the player know what they need to accomplish (the ridiculous phaseline Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders battle in the campaign comes to mind). Nothing wrecks immersion more than unclear goals or breaking out to the editor to see what's required.

While the soapbox will still support me, I'd also like to ask that if a battle penalizes me for ammo consumption at least do me the favor of an explanation. For example: "In addition to taking the objectives you must be prepared to defend the possession for several hours while awaiting resupply. Failure to preserve adequate ammo levels to fight off a counterattack puts this operation in jeopardy. If your forces ammo levels drop to 15% you will be ordered to withdraw rather than risk being overrun."

George MC,

I had a few false starts at your scenario and finally played it right through in RT mode today. Congratulations on a great scenario! Lots of tension as you edge forward trying to identify the next enemy strong-point or missile team before they identify you first! Lots of action as you call a halt to the advance whilst the artillery does its work. And then the sudden realization that you have only half an hour to go and have to take an entire town!

Keep them coming!

P.S. - I should mention I suffered a tactical defeat. I lost 53 men killed (53! that has to be a record for me) and only took half the objectives. Its a tough one, that's for sure.

I played the final 15 minutes of the scenario last night. As predicted, I lost, because I ran out of time.

It is too late for me, because the replay value is gone now that I know where the enemy is, but for the sake of others I would kindly ask you to increase the time limit by 30 minutes or perhaps even 1 hour!

Apart from that, it is definitely one of the best scenarios out there! The terrain really breaks up attacks nicely and I had to re-adjust my axis of attack several times. The ambush positions of the Red forces are also very well laid out. Plus, it is beautiful!

Best regards,

Thomm

Nice job George and thanks for doing this one. I still haven't hit the first phase line yet as I keep getting my a** handed to me in ambush, mines, etc.. I like this one and good suspense/challenge level. Can't comment on the time yet but I will see.

Question - When you Save game it assigns a number to the file but for this game I only have one choice when I go to load it i.e. the latest file. In fact, the "number" in the file name never shows in this scenario in the load menu. Was wondering why that is?

Thanks again!

deerslayer, I noticed the same thing.

The savegame says Hammertime_001 or 002 or 003, but when you reload it is _001 from the latest point. It overwrites previous saves.

I have never saved other missions(usually finished them in one sitting).

Is this something in CMSF, or just this scenario?

Anyone else notice this?

Hawkmek

[ September 07, 2007, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Hawkmek ]

Originally posted by Hawkmek:

Anyone else notice this?

Wow, now that you mention it: I was sure that I saved at 01:00 and at 01:45. When I found myself running out of time, I wanted to go back to the 01:00 save game, and thought that I did, but the 01:45 setting showed up.

I put the blame on user error, but maybe it *is* something different!

Best regards,

Thomm