New Scenario - "Hammertime"

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the humanity! George, you're an evil man. This is a challenging mission.

It doesn't help that a Boy Scout leader has more tactical sense in his little finger than I have in my entire body. tongue.gif

***SPOILERS***

The end result was a Total Defeat for US forces. :( I lost 7 Brads and a Humvee with a further 3 Brads and both Abrams immobilised.

Perhaps foolishly, I advanced across the entire front - 2nd platoon west, scout, HQ elements and Abrams centre, 1st and 3rd platoons east.

Managed to get a platoon into the SE portion of the city supported closely by 4 Brads but they made little ground. A close assault against the second T72 to the SE managed to KO it with an AT4 or Javelin, not sure which. Due to my impatience at a 5 min wait for a 155mm bombardment on the T72, the shells arrived just moments after my 2 half squads took it out. They weren't too happy.

Live and learn. I'll give myself a few days to forget the details and try it again with different tactics. Certainly the infantry need to be deployed earlier rather than letting them brew up in the Bradleys.

[ October 08, 2007, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Ricochet67 ]

So far, the best I've been able to pull off is a draw, with heavy losses for the US (and that was after several attempts, so with the advantage of prior intelligence). It really is a tough one, and very enjoyable. The final stage is - literally - a real killer.

Determined to go back and get a win at some point.

This is a great example of how statistically weaker forces (Reds) can intelligently use terrain to their advantage and overcome a more powerful force. Alot of the US long-range firepower is negated here, even with the open terrain.

Has anybody managed a win on this one, first time?

here is a link where you can follow my current pbem game, it's in french but it might be interesting for some of you, by the way I'm the red player

http://www.appui-feu.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10818#176956

in summary, so far I managed to kill one javelin squad, the m2 and rv humwee, both bradley. A squad with survivors are hiding in bldgs. My opponent just received a new wave of renfort. the serious stuff is about to start now and I'm expecting my casualties to grow quickly

Nice one, Phullbrick. Can't understand everything, but enough to follow the action. Good video too.

My feeling is that, in multiplayer and/or PBEM, the US side will be completely toasted (assuming the Red player is not thoroughly incompetent). I reckon this scenario is set up as a single player game against the Syrian AI (or, more to the point, against that demonic Scot who designed it). Be interesting to see how it pans out for you guys, but I'll be very surprised if the US get anywhere near their goal. The enemy will be able to pick you off at leisure.

I've just started again as US, Elite, against the AI. Trying a different tack, making better progress than before, but, obviously, I now have a major advantage in terms of advance intel.

However it works out, this battle really brings out some of SF's strongest features. Great fun.

Hi Guys

He! He! I must admit I've played it through lot's myself. The US player can get into town, what you do there is another story.

Possible Spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

Handihoc I suspect you are right, that in H2H this might well prove beyond the US player. Still we'll see. I reckon indiscriminate use of artillery fire could win the day smile.gif Think WW1 Barrages...

Originally posted by Phullbrick:

here is a link where you can follow my current pbem game, it's in french but it might be interesting for some of you, by the way I'm the red player

http://www.appui-feu.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10818#176956

in summary, so far I managed to kill one javelin squad, the m2 and rv humwee, both bradley. A squad with survivors are hiding in bldgs. My opponent just received a new wave of renfort. the serious stuff is about to start now and I'm expecting my casualties to grow quickly

Excellent! smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi Guys

Sorry to cause confusion. I was caught out by the chnage to make Syrian arty support more realistic (only FOOS can call it in). So the chnage is to give the Syrians a FOO. I guess it'll make a differenc just it won't make things any easier for the US player. I'm not sure how good the AI is at calling in artillery... ;)

I suspect it won't spoil your enjoyment of wherever you are at in current games smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Good one George Mc!

***************SPOILERS*******************

I played the Syrians (realtime, veteran, V1.04), and achieved a tactical victory, although I didn´t use the AT13s properly. (I tried a second time and achieved an american surrender.) The blue AI is pretty good on the first half of the map, but doesn´t try to enter the town at the end, except for one M1 that goes in without infantry support. What I learned in this scenario is:

T72s will survive the Bradley Autocannon as long as they are a few hundred metres away. (frontal armor)

AT13s have 1000m range, but only hit with certainty at under 200m.

I´m playing blue now (admittedly with more info on the enemy than I should have). Scouting ahead with infantry (as in CMx1) isn´t really an option here, you have to inch ahead and hope that you can spot the ambushes first and mortar them out of existance.

Hi Yoss!

Thanks for the comments - I'll double check the AI plan for Blue. It could be that you have the Blue infantry pinned down so they refuse to continue with their plan. I've noticed that happens. But I'll double check it to make sure. Or could be you killed all the Blue infantry smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the oppoment of Phullbrick (I'm the US player ;) ).

Well, George, this scenario is really the best I played.

It's been a while since I post new screenshot about our game with Phullbrick but I cannot post so much because he'll see to much of my plans ;)

Actually, I had lost another Brad from the ATGM but a hard arty strike (line) and some lucky fire with covering Brad take them down (well, maybe not all of them, but 2 ATGM squads are killed).

I had destroyed a lot of BMP-2 with Javelin (6 or 7). With my reinforcements, I can start my offensive. Actually, I know he got some casualty from area or direct fire but not so much.

My Abrams are not here yet, we will see how it goes in the next turns smile.gif

Hi Mirabelle

Thanks for posting your comments - I'll echo Handihoc's request for keeping us posted smile.gif

I'm equally as interested as to how this plays out H2H.

Whilst I am here A BIG THANK YOU to all those who have posted comments for the scenario over at CMMODs. smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

George,

I posted a comment at CMMODS, but under my previous handle, philwil. Needless to say, it was highly favourable. I'm just itching for more now. Having said that, there are some really excellent and imaginative scenarios appearing from several designers. It really makes the game. My only complaint is that I don't have the damn time to play them all!

Curious question George. Are you gonna update your blowtorch website with your new CMSF work? Or create a new site? Because it would be great to have all of your fantastic work in one place. The way you present your scenarios there is great and as it seems that you made quite the scenario here, I was wondering if you had any plans in that respect?

PS. I haven't played the scenario much less play the game...hell I don't even own it lol.