The inevitable 'when's the 1.06 patch coming?' thread

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About performance, I just wrote this in another thread:

"Hmmm... I don't know. We have some testers running testers running fast single processors and slow duals (1.6GHz) OK, so you might be good to go. However, if we find that some people are having a hard time getting the game to play at a reasonable framerate we'll see what can be done to allow "Traditional LOS" to be used instead of "Enhanced LOS". We've not wanted to have a toggle in there if we can avoid it due to doubling our maintenance work."

Piecekeeper ,

I never expected these improvements so fast when i bought the game...Great work!
I must say that honestly I never expected us to get Enhanced LOS into the game so fast. But true to our game developer nature, when we sat back after v1.03 and said "look at all that speed we have available now!" the next thing we did was look at our wish list to see how we could humble the processors again ;)

Flammenwerfer,

When I was reading the blog, I kept thinking, Moon isn't usually this long winded.
I prefer "thorough" :D

Adam1,

One comment about the opposition to abstraction - I'm not sure what the opposition is, but I think there is still a lot we don't understand about the way things work and that as we figure them out or are informed by Battlefront the more we get it
Yup, which is why I am very happy to be here explaining how the game works instead of other stuff ;) It is true there is a LOT of stuff under that hood that players aren't completely aware of. It took us years to explain CMBO alone. Sometimes we don't explain things on purpose for the player's "own good" (kinda like not giving away what happens to a main character in the middle of a good book to a person still on chapter 1), sometimes it is simply because we haven't got around to explaining it in enough detail. It's always a balancing act of good judgement and time. The vast majority of the time it is simply a matter of not having the chance to explain things yet. It takes a while to explain 3 years worth of coding, that's for sure.

Oh yeah, slowly but surely we are getting more user feedback into the game. The weapons mouse over info in v1.05 is just the beginning. v1.06 has something else nifty, more as we go along.

Steve

[ January 14, 2008, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Maybe I'm imagining things but since 1.05 a unit calling in an area attack by an aircraft is stuck with the 'painted' attack area for the rest of the mission. The aircraft can be landed and empty and yet the big blue disk is still painted on the map, this gets a confusing if the same unit is calling in multiple attacks.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

P.S. the ELOS sounds great, however like most people here I've probably found an acceptable balance between framerate and visual quality, I just hope that dosen't change too much.

Good and bad news maybe... smile.gif I though I could get away with a relatively small system upgrade a few months ago.

I hope my P4 3.4Ghz with HyperThreading can keep up with the 25 percent increase in calculations!

:D Good news to see yet another big thing for CMSF coming, though (along with dynamic lighting earlier)!

I have to confess that I'm a bit nervous about this change. I only have a single core 3Ghz Intel processor and I like to play the game with all the settings maxed out and have usually been able to in most situations, including my own designs.

But a potential 25 fold (that's 2500% not 25%) increase in one of the most intensive processor activities is bound to give us all a significant drop in frames unless the processors are super-fast.

Any word on what kind of situations will be the hardest hit? Large maps? Lots of individual soldiers spotting? Mixes of vehicles and footsloggers? Will more closed terrain help or not?

There is definitely no reason to panic.

All this percent numbers thrown around do not reflect any actual degradation. Without having applied any scientific methods, I would go as far a to say that I do not experience any noticeable slow-downs (e.g. Viper Pass, Core 2 Duo T7200 2,00 GHz, 1 GB RAM).

Honestly, the way things are going currently, you can really look forward towards 1.06!

Best regards,

Thomm

Rollstoy:

yeah I know. I am very excited about the changes it's bringing. It will give us all more tactical flexibility because we'll be able to hide troops behind walls, small undulations etc. It should even make the 'Slow' movement command useful for infantry again.

I'm only nervous because I forsee myself having to buy a new processor to continue to work on my campaign. Some of the scenarios place a pretty heavy load on my processor as it stands just now. I would be disappointed if I weren't able to continue after 1.06 is released until I buy a new processor. After all, it's not JUST a processor, it'll be a motherboard too as well as all the hassle I'll probably get reactivating Vista because it's a major hardware upgrade.

Paper Tiger,

This is part of the reason why the testing takes a while.

In the last few days we have been working though multiple iterations of 1.06 so that certain large test scenarios can be loaded (and turns saved) at progressively better (i.e. better quality) graphics settings.

If everyone had a Cray (with I don’t know a 4Tb Graphics card) they could roll out versions earlier and just tell customers “oh sorry we have just revised the minimum specs up so buy a new computer”.

Getting bugs out and making sure it works well on most people’s machines is a big part of the challenge.

Yeah, I appreciate that. I'm just very intersted to see if a simple increase in RAM will do the trick for me. There's nothing shoddy about my processor but I currently only have 1GB of RAM and that's with Vista 64 Home. Memory is very cheap to buy just now so expanding that to 4GB is not unrealistic. And much cheaper than forking out appx US$500 for a spanking new quad processor with a motherboard to match. Although I reckon I'm heading that way. Who knows, maybe I could swing it with the wife to get all three :D

Yup, I have a 64 bit processor and Vista 64 Home edition. I knew that RAM made a difference but I had no idea that it was so important. I'm one of those people who love using computers but have very little idea about what makes them tick. So you think I'll get better frames with 2+Gb of RAM? That's a very cheap upgrade for me and my wife would probably prefer that option.

1GB isn't that much. Especially not with Vista. Heck, go ahead and get 4GB. It's still not very big investment and at least you're getting some benefit with your 64bit system.

You won't necessarily get better framerates but should get better load times at the very least. And less tendency for hick-ups.

In a few days we'll have a better idea when it will be released. There are still a few rough edges we want to make sure are smoothed out before we release. If nothing significant turns up between now and, say, Monday, next week will probably be chewed up getting the patch ready for distribution to you guys. If something does crop up it will be later, obviously.

BTW, Charles has given me strong reassurance that he feels anybody that can run CM:SF v1.05 should be happy with the performance out of v1.06.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

In a few days we'll have a better idea when it will be released. There are still a few rough edges we want to make sure are smoothed out before we release. If nothing significant turns up between now and, say, Monday, next week will probably be chewed up getting the patch ready for distribution to you guys. If something does crop up it will be later, obviously.

BTW, Charles has given me strong reassurance that he feels anybody that can run CM:SF v1.05 should be happy with the performance out of v1.06.

Steve

Thanks for the info but can you tell me if this:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?s=190bc495ef9e2151655a105749c00682&t=338461

...is true ?

This would be a dream ! smile.gif

[ January 17, 2008, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Wiggum ]

Originally posted by Piecekeeper:

What? the link doesnt work?

from the link...

...will we, the Paradox customers, get the patch at the same time like the Battlefront customers ??

YES. Battlefront has promised to deliver the files on time this time. -Flori,Paradox Community Manager

Paradox Dev Team

The link works for me. To answer the question, we hope that the lag between when we give the files to Paradox and when the patch is up will be less than in the past. Unfortunately, this is not within our direct control because they have their own copy protection system and internal procedures they have to work through.

We really don't want to hold the Battlefront patch back for several days simply because the Paradox patch isn't ready. The point should be to not make either set of customers wait for any artificial reason, right? So we'll just have to see how things go :D

Steve