The inevitable 'when's the 1.06 patch coming?' thread

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agreement on the low wall LOS bug. Despite all the improvements in 1.05, the addition of this bug basically made the game unplayable for me.

Low walls are in most of the scenarios with the few exceptions of the desert.

If other things are planned for 1.06, can we get a 1.05a release that fixes the low wall bug?

Originally posted by Neepster:

100% agreement on the low wall LOS bug. Despite all the improvements in 1.05, the addition of this bug basically made the game unplayable for me.

Low walls are in most of the scenarios with the few exceptions of the desert.

If other things are planned for 1.06, can we get a 1.05a release that fixes the low wall bug?

Yes please BFC. I feel the same way and have stated so sice 1.05 came out. Yea it fixed some problems but it has made the game nearly unplayable. To me this is the only thing that really bothers me. Please release a hotfix for the low wall bug. Specially if 1.06 is a couple of weeks away.

Remember you can have either:

1. The patch in a couple of weeks (not my call)

OR

2. Have the low wall (and whatever else) fixed

So if you want a quick turn around on the issuing of fixes then you shouldn’t expect them to address major issues.

Conversely, the longer you wait, the more comprehensive a given update will be.

Patience Grasshopper. smile.gif

If the low wall makes scenarios unplayable why not revert back to 1.04 until its fixed?

gibsonm

I know it looks like we're a bit impatient. However, the low wall bug has already been fixed. Steve said that Charles fixed it some weekend before the Xmas holidays so we aren't waiting for them to fix it. It's a pretty major bug if you're playing scenarios with low walls, ie urban which is the game's main emphasis. It also renders most of the user-created content on CMMODS pretty useless too. Apparently, 'Hammertime', the most popular user created scenario to date, has been spoiled by this bug so it's a biggie.

Steve also said that he wanted a 'quick turnaround' on 1.06 and not let it turn into another monster patch like 1.05.

Incidentally, how do you uninstall a patch? Wouldn't you have to do a complete reinstall of the game?

Well depends on how you have things setup.

If you only have one copy installed then yes “rolling back” or “backing out” would require a complete re install.

I have two copies on my machine (in differently named directories) so I can apply a patch to one and leave the other untouched. If the patch doesn’t work I just delete the “broken” version and then duplicate the working one again.

BTW: The name is Mark (as per the signature block).

I absolutely agree with the "hotfix" solution if the bug is already fixed. Don't make us wait another month while the rest of the kitchen sink is thrown in (and maybe inadvertently breaks something else).

Forget the rest of the "fixes" for 1.06. None of the rest are as killer as the low wall LOS bug.

Fix the low wall LOS bug and I think that this game is finally really playable.

As for reverting to 1.04, no way. 1.04 has the "can't shoot downwards" LOS bug plus plenty of others... that is the point of 1.05... go FORWARD, not back...

Well obviously you might need to read between the lines as to why its not out yet.

But in any case its irrelevant what I say as you will just keep demanding more / earlier (and then bleat when it doesn’t work).

Anyway its beyond my paygrade to comment further (and outside the NDA).

So enjoy your posts and I guess you’ll get it when its ready.

You aren’t my customer.

My customers are my clients who are quiet satisfied and happy with the service I provide (as of course if they weren’t they wouldn’t stay).

But as I said earlier, its irrelevant what I say as those without patience will just keep clamouring for more and more without allowing sufficient development time to get it right.

So I’ll stop posting and hopefully this thread will just drop off the page.

Opinions of 1.05 thread:

Thanks! The fixes are easy, and we'll put out v1.06 very quickly.

Steve (16th December)

Version 1.06 will be a quick patch so it doesn't get bogged down and turn into a monster patch as v1.05. TacAI stuff is generally time intensive to get working right (programming and testing).

Steve (17th December)

BTW, Charles fixed the low wall LOS bug over the weekend already. It was a fairly easy thing to address.

Steve (18th December)

We intend to release a v1.06 patch within a few weeks. We need to fix a couple more of the pressing issues (low walls was the most important) and get it tested. Remember, rushing the last part of testing is why the low wall problem is there in the first place We also have to allow for an extra week just because of the Holidays. The problem with volunteers is that they can't be forced to work, the little buggers!

Steve (19th December)

It took less than 5 minutes to find that. I suppose the important part of this is the 'in a few weeks'. Since that was more than 3 weeks ago, I think that it's reasonable to ask and I am entitled to as long as I do it in a responsible and mature way. I'm not impatient, I'm certainly not complaining and I am a happy customer too. However, the 'mature' part is open to debate. :D

I am working on a few scenarios of my own and the low wall bug makes playtesting awkward for balancing purposes in the situations that have them.

Of course I don't expect Battlefront will be hurried into releasing the patch by anything that's posted here. And I don't expect them to reply either. However, it seems to be a convention in this forum to ask when a patch will be released beforehand in a light hearted manner, thus the smiley in my first post.

When I said "weeks" I wasn't counting the week of Christmas :D So it's been about 2 weeks or so by my count.

We had a "hotfix" patch and rejected it for reasons that will become clearer when v1.06 is released. Don't worry, we aren't going to get into another prolonged kitchensink patch. Testing is going very well so far.

Steve

Originally posted by gibsonm:

You aren’t my customer.

My customers are my clients who are quiet satisfied and happy with the service I provide (as of course if they weren’t they wouldn’t stay).

I prefer my clients to be quiet and satisfied also .. Hehe .. Couldn't help myself.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We had a "hotfix" patch and rejected it for reasons that will become clearer when v1.06 is released. Don't worry, we aren't going to get into another prolonged kitchensink patch. Testing is going very well so far.

I don't know if it's just me, but that statement feels about as believable as "I'll stop drinking tomorrow" .. 1.05 was quick fix, too, no?