Eastern Europe 1939

What I would like to see from CMx2 (not first installment, hoping for NW Europe) is any kind of WWII mainland Europe conflicts before 1943. Germany hits Poland, assisted by the Soviets. Parachute attacks on bridges in the Low Countries. Armoured drives northern France, or what I would really like to see, the battle of Gembleaux. Italians in southern France and Albania. Germans in Yugoslavia and Greece. Norway.

There is enough here for several games and I would like to see them all included in some game at some point in time. (maybe not the Italians in Albania)

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

You all have it wrong. I have it direct from an unnamed inside source that the first CMx2 release is entitled Little Jimmy Throws Spitballs at Mary Margaret in 5th. Grade at St. Anthony's. Don't say anything about this, okay guys?

Michael

Sounds like an historical epic. How many voices do you do in this one?

With this new and sexy engine they have every chance to recruit alot of new players who love eye-candy. Very unlikely that the Polish would play a big part in that. I'm guessing they go for the old mainstream Normandy scenario.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :D .

//Salkin

I think the first game should feature a theater/theme popular enough that it doesn't have to be marketed to grogs only, but at the same time it shouldn't be a game that I will want to spend most of my future CM time playing. The first release should be a sort of demo of what CMx2 is capable of. If the capabilities of the new engine are going to be more fully exploited with each release I would rather BFC hold off on the really poplular themes until they are ready to exploit the engine to its fullest.

To clarify my point, CM:BO is arguably the most popular theater of the CMx1 titles, but I'm sure most of us wish BFC would have gone back to update CM:BO to take advantage of the new developments in CM:BB and CM:AK. I don't want the first CMx2 release to be the game that I will want to play the most if the engine is not yet ready for prime time.

Pvt Ryan. Since the new game is on a much smaller scale it will perhaps not be as much of an issue which area comes first. With CMBO it was the whole NW Europe theatre which was modeled. Now we are more likely to get the "American breakout July 44" or "The Battle For The Bridge at Arnhem". So an early engine release will not preclude so much of a theatre when it is upgraded later.

I truly believe the first release will be in NW Europe and probably the 2nd somewhere on the Eastern front.

But after those 2 I would be willing to bet that WWII will go on the back burner for the next 1 or 2. It would be good marketing at that point to show the engine is capable of other battles. Especially when the engine will be farmed out to 3rd party developers. It would expand your possibilities to branch out.

[ August 27, 2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Emar ]

I'm with those who believe it has to be WWII, western front. Either Normandy or Bulge. From a marketing standpoint, this is the best way to launch this thing. We also need a setting that allows for big bad tanks. The eastern front would allow for the latter, but the market interest is not as high.

Either that, or Starship Troopers.

What about France 1940? Plenty of action and tank battles. British expeditionary forces and French army against the germans. I still find it strange that the germans beat the french in just 3 months while both armies had comparable sizes. In fact, France had more and better armour than the germans.

Would love to drink a nice bottle of wine before going into action.