Armored Bridge layer

tmhippo

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

That would be really neat - opposed crossings and obstacle reductions are very difficult operations.

Perhaps we could have a scenario in which you have to save the Stryker unit that - using it's great speed and operational mobility - crossed the bridge well ahead of you and got RPGed to a precipitous halt. smile.gif

Moon has repeatedly warned that this time they're not going to spoil us rotten like they did with CMBB. But still, every time a weapon system is mentioned they tell us they're planning to include it!

Its a good bet everyone here wants a chance to fire a line charge down the middle of a city street at least once, just like everybody wanted to a chance play with a Sturmtiger in CMBB. I'd imagine, though, that MICLICK would cost a pile of points when you're purchasing your units (assuming that CMx2 units are acquired like CMx1 units).

I had seen one deployed before my tank platoon assault. It was towed behind a M113. Basically it fires a line with explosives across a wire/mine obstacle, clearing a path. We still had mine plow tanks go through first.

That reminds me, Id like to see plow tanks- Out of every 4 tanks in a platoon, 2 are mine plow tanks

• 9 months later...

flamingknives,

MICLIC = MIne CLearing LIne Charge. Basically, it's merely the latest incarnation of a weapon first developed during WW II (Snake, methinks), consisting of a rocket propelled hose full of explosives. Launched across a minefield, then detonated, it clears mines by sympathetic detonation. Those not destroyed outright tend to have severely damaged fuzes.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guys, we aren't making an engineer centric game, so you can forget about all sorts of specialized equipment. Including bridge layers. They would be nice to have, but think about how frequently they would be used compared to how much work it would take to put them in. It's not going to happen.

In fact, I would go so far as to say it won't happen for a Module either. This is the sort of thing that we just can not stray into without getting ourselves hopelessly bogged down for years more.

Steve

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Cheers John, although I had already worked out what it was. I'm familiar enough with the concept, but didn't know the name

Here's one

That's certainly a lot of happy Norwegians. And what's wrong with that?

BTW, any idea what (looks like it) goes spinning off one end? I'm thinking it's formed from a standing wave created from the explosion going in a line on the ground, causing precipitation in the humid air. But of course, that could be what they want me to think ;)

[ October 09, 2006, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Other Means ]

flamingknives,

Pity, but you can't have everything.
Tell me about it :( One thing to keep in mind is that we WANT to include everything and the kitchen sink. We tried very hard to do that with CMx1 and even then we didn't get everything in. Unfortunately, that amount of effort was unsustainable and so we all have to adjust our expecations for what is possible.

Does this mean that ARRVs are out too? I suppose so, since they would require vehicle recovery.
Currently there are no plans for ARRVs because there are no plans for recovery. This is one of those things that not only requires yet another set of unique models and animations, but not insignificant amounts of AI work. People take driving and the phyisics of motion for granted. It's really tough stuff to code. Plus, something has to determine that recovery should happen, how to go about it, with whom, and under what circumstances. There are soldiers out there that go through months, even years, of training to make these sorts of calls. Really tough to jam that into a few bits of code.

Then there are things like 'dozer blades on tank - are these gone too? Vehicular minefield clearance? I recall seeing something on MICLIC being in though.
MCLIC (mine clearing for you non-technical people) is on our feature list still. It's within the scope of CM and within the realm of "doability" for CM:SF. Hopefully for the initial release. Dozer and mine rollers for tanks will likely be in a follow up Module. We want them in, they are "doable", but with the amount we have on our plates left to do it's probably not going to be in the initial release.

Steve