Sidearms, what do you look for.

Because I am tired of the endless complaint threads, lets get into a good old gunfight.

Personally my biggest concern is with how it feels in my hand. Unlike many of my fellow soldiers, I have always loved the M9. It just fits my hand better than anything else I have used. The size of the round doesn't bother me as I have always placed my faith in my ability to put rounds where I want them. Of course I would never try to go into combat with a .22 (spare me the M16 remarks) but the 9mm suits me just fine.

In the end I feel that it is important to have a weapon that you can operate as an extension of yourself. If you have to think about the weapon itself rather than your target you are putting yourself at a sever dissadvantage.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like and own an HK USP. Some people poo-poo it as a plastic gun, but it's been very reliable for me as well as ppl in European Law enforcement. Pretty damn accurate in the .40 S&W size.

Beretta feels best in my hand, but I can't hit the side of a barn with it. My father in law swears by his gold cup.

Kimber if you want a work of art ;-D

Springfield Armory XD-45.

High-capacity .45ACP in a stable, bombproof, ergonomic and comfortably designed package. I've owned and carried a lot of pistols, but the XD-45 is without a doubt the best gun I've ever owned right out of the box.

As for the caliber choice... with a good gun at common handgun ranges I'm equally accurate with a 9MM or a .45, so all other things being equal, I go for the round that makes bigger holes.

I carried an M9 for four years and the 96G civilian model for about 11 years. It is a good, reliable and accurate weapon. I only had two malfunctions in all those years and both were due to ammo, not the weapon.

Recently switched to the Sig P226 .40 and absolutely love it. Tack driver that feels good and comfortable.

Some swear by Glock, also known as "tactical tupperware", but I could never get very accurate with it.

As to the Desert Eagle, I've never shot the big ones, but the baby Eagle in .40 shoots like a dream. Little heavy, but a very nice weapon.

Has to a) fit your hand B) go bang when it should c) go click when it should. After that, caliber isn't too important. M9, XD-9, 1911, etc.

And the DE isn't the "worst handgun ever". Maybe a Lorcin, but not a DE. The DE is an accurate, oversized piece built for large-scale plinking, silhouette shooting, and hunting. Not for use as a defensive tool.

One thing I that bugs me about a lot of the newer pistols is the trigger safety. I don't know why since my primary safety is my brain, but I just like manual safeties.

I have fired the Glock a few times but it just never felt right. I also did a couple qualification ranges with a SIG but everything was just out of reach and just didn't feel right.

I am a long time Sig and Glock shooter and have shot competitively. I would have to say that I prefer the Glocks as they are slightly more reliable, have a decent trigger (with the right connector) that is always the same, and carry more ammo.

The XD's do have a great grip--even a person with small hands will have no problems with an XD-45.

Sidearm if I needed to carry a full-size handgun? My Steyr M9 - looks like a ray gun and fits like a dream. I shoot it well. For me.

Sidearm I shoot best? My buddy's CZ-75 in 9mm. I don't think I can miss with this gun, and I'm not that good a shot - the bullets just go where you want them to.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

Sidearm if I needed to carry a full-size handgun? My Steyr M9 - looks like a ray gun and fits like a dream. I shoot it well. For me.

Sidearm I shoot best? My buddy's CZ-75 in 9mm. I don't think I can miss with this gun, and I'm not that good a shot - the bullets just go where you want them to.

-dale

You mean like the Gun Gene Simmons used in "Runaway"

Originally posted by Crimguy:

I like and own an HK USP. Some people poo-poo it as a plastic gun, but it's been very reliable for me as well as ppl in European Law enforcement. Pretty damn accurate in the .40 S&W size.

Beretta feels best in my hand, but I can't hit the side of a barn with it. My father in law swears by his gold cup.

Kimber if you want a work of art ;-D

Kimbers are guns you show your friends, Glocks are guns you show your enemies.

Originally posted by 'Card:

Springfield Armory XD-45.

High-capacity .45ACP in a stable, bombproof, ergonomic and comfortably designed package. I've owned and carried a lot of pistols, but the XD-45 is without a doubt the best gun I've ever owned right out of the box.

As for the caliber choice... with a good gun at common handgun ranges I'm equally accurate with a 9MM or a .45, so all other things being equal, I go for the round that makes bigger holes.

Couldn't really stand the trigger when I tried out - felt "spongy" to me, and it was difficult placing my shots correctly.

But perhaps I have just been spoiled by the 1911 trigger.

Originally posted by Adam1:

"Worst handgun ever? Desert Eagle. "

Why?

The handle is huge to account for the huge rounds. Not very comfortable unless you have unusually huge hands. Plus, the one I fired ejected the casings straight back and hit me right between the eyes every time.

Sure, maybe a big .50 or .45 is sexy, but not that useful. It's almost like closing a t-ball game with Nolan Ryan. Too much.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

-dale

You mean like the Gun Gene Simmons used in "Runaway" </font>