Could there be a Media Outcry against CM:SF?

Hi,

A few weeks back, the game "Resistance: Fall of Man" came in for a lot of flak in the press when an Arch-Bishop denounced the game for its portrayal of a violent gun-battle inside Manchester Cathedral. The fact that the game is set in a parallel universe in which WWII never happened, and that the battle was fought to liberate the Cathedral from a bunch of mutant scum, seemed to have been lost on the Arch-Bishop. Such is life!

In light of this, is anyone concerned that CM:SF might itself fall victim to a knee-jerk negative reaction in the media. I can see the headlines now. "Game depicts IED and VIED attacks on US troops. Game encourages player to take on the role of a terrorist leader and plant road-side bombs to kill US soldiers".

I am sure there are plenty of loonies out there who could make life hell for BFC if they wanted to. The press would lap it up I'm sure.

I hope it doesn't happen but I'm wondering if anyone else has thought this might be a problem?

There is always someone who is going to get pissed off about something. I don't think a BFC game is going to get the same scrutiny as a Sony game. Plus since BFC is a private company they don't have to bend to the will of the wackos who might come out of the woodwork.

I've got it, we get a headwrapped middle eastern man to make a video of him talking to the camera, telling us how, he and his group of terrorists use it to realisticaly train to fight and kill Americans.

Then we get him to post it on YouTube, Google Video, Liveleak and Metacafe. After that, we just wait for the media to go nuts, saying its a terrorist training tool and then Jack Thompson would come and say how its realistic depiction of war is corrupting our youth.

BFC would have more advertisement and sales than they could handle. :D

Originally posted by Sgt.Rock of Easy Company:

I've got it, we get a headwrapped middle eastern man to make a video of him talking to the camera, telling us how, he and his group of terrorists use it to realisticaly train to fight and kill Americans.

Then we get him to post it on YouTube, Google Video, Liveleak and Metacafe. After that, we just wait for the media to go nuts, saying its a terrorist training tool and then Jack Thompson would come and say how its realistic depiction of war is corrupting our youth.

May I suggest before this is taken seriously by someone to let the game get released first. Then start this "interesting" ad campaign. You wouldn't want to be the cause of the title being shelved till the it blows over.

Just my thoughts.

LOL, that would do the trick :D

for me the arguement can be reversed in that the game allows you to get into the head of the enemy and learn to think outside the box so as to not give the enemy that advantage

this game like many others can and probably will be used as a teaching tool

I mean we have aggressor squadrons and brigades that use the enemy tactics to train our troops

why can't a game do the same thing

if anything it will save on fuel and manitence

vs trying out a plan that might be silly and worthless

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Hi,

A few weeks back, the game "Resistance: Fall of Man" came in for a lot of flak in the press when an Arch-Bishop denounced the game for its portrayal of a violent gun-battle inside Manchester Cathedral. The fact that the game is set in a parallel universe in which WWII never happened, and that the battle was fought to liberate the Cathedral from a bunch of mutant scum, seemed to have been lost on the Arch-Bishop. Such is life!

In light of this, is anyone concerned that CM:SF might itself fall victim to a knee-jerk negative reaction in the media. I can see the headlines now. "Game depicts IED and VIED attacks on US troops. Game encourages player to take on the role of a terrorist leader and plant road-side bombs to kill US soldiers".

I am sure there are plenty of loonies out there who could make life hell for BFC if they wanted to. The press would lap it up I'm sure.

I hope it doesn't happen but I'm wondering if anyone else has thought this might be a problem?

We do expect a number of people will criticise the game. Probably from one of three main groups:

1. Muslims - yet another game showing Imperialist Americans killing Muslims in their homes while they sleep soundly.

2. Left Wing - glorifying the killing of the innocent for the preservation of America's oil interests.

3. Right Wing - traitorous scum who are giving the (deleted) (deleted) terrorist (deleted) (deleted... hey, I can't help it... Right Wingers LOVE to swear smile.gif ) Arabs the tools to kill our American Heros who are fighting on the side God (the real one, not the fake one).

They're all wrong, of course, but that's never stoped them from sounding off before.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We do expect a number of people will criticise the game. Probably from one of three main groups:

1. Muslims - yet another game showing Imperialist Americans killing Muslims in their homes while they sleep soundly.

2. Left Wing - glorifying the killing of the innocent for the preservation of America's oil interests.

3. Right Wing - traitorous scum who are giving the (deleted) (deleted) terrorist (deleted) (deleted... hey, I can't help it... Right Wingers LOVE to swear smile.gif ) Arabs the tools to kill our American Heros who are fighting on the side God (the real one, not the fake one).

They're all wrong, of course, but that's never stoped them from sounding off before.

Steve

Can we have a Module where we get to save the world from the Left and Right Whingers :D

and then Jack Thompson would come and say how its realistic depiction of war is corrupting our youth.

There's nothing funny about Jack Thompson. I used to think of him as an amusing and harmless loon, but probably a nice guy. That changed rather abruptly with the Virginia Tech shooting: The bodies of the victims were, literally, still warm when he went on TV "explaining" how the police would search the killers belongings for video games, which were surely to blame for it all. Even ambulance-chasing lawyers have more integrity than Thompson. The guy is filth as far as I'm concerned.

Well given the way kids make video's and release them on YouTube now the production cost of this "project" would be about $0.00.

The game is to be released July 27 so that leaves about 10 days for preproduction, 9 days for shooting 9 days for post production (credits, editing and such) and 1 day to upload.

If you think about it, the video release should be in re-action to the release of the game so if it was actually uploaded say 5-7 days after the actual release date of the game that would have the most impact I think. smile.gif

I believe this is also known now as "viral marketing" ! So lets get on it! Now I am not suggesting BFC would or should try this. No, I was just following up on the idea that a fan of the game or someone who likes to do stuff like post home made video's on YouTube for fun, would have about 29 days to work on their next big release.

-tom w

[ June 28, 2007, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Ask Paris Hilton if a little 'unwanted' notoriety pays off! It no doubt would greatly benefit BFC's bottom line if some crusading group or another got a little national exposure protesting the product. Either that or someone will have to release a bootleg sex video entitled "A Night on the Moon". :eek:

There's nothing funny about Jack Thompson. I used to think of him as an amusing and harmless loon, but probably a nice guy. That changed rather abruptly with the Virginia Tech shooting: The bodies of the victims were, literally, still warm when he went on TV "explaining" how the police would search the killers belongings for video games, which were surely to blame for it all. Even ambulance-chasing lawyers have more integrity than Thompson. The guy is filth as far as I'm concerned.

Using footage of real people getting killed overseas to sell a videogame would prove him right.

I'd just as soon BF.C continue to take the high road of moral responsiblity and not cash in on moral outrage for the sake of a few bucks.

The game is an intellectual exercise about a hypothetical invasion of Syria by US forces, played out at the tactical level - part of a long line of tactical wargames dating back to 1969, and of computer tactical wargames dating to the 1970s. Nothing more, nothing less, except for those who, as Steve points out, have an agenda.

[ June 28, 2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Using footage of real people getting killed overseas to sell a videogame would prove him right.

I'd just as soon BF.C continue to take the high road of moral responsiblity and not cash in on moral outrage for the sake of a few bucks.

The game is an intellectual exercise about a hypothetical invasion of Syria by US forces, played out at the tactical level - part of a long line of tactical wargames dating back to 1969, and of computer tactical wargames dating to the 1970s. Nothing more, nothing less, except for those who, as Steve points out, have an agenda. </font>

I don't mind giving the role a go. Sure, I'm a little pasty and I don't have a beard, but that's what CGI's for, right?