Kill Tracking

One of the features I truly loved about CMX1 was that you could see (at the end of the game) all of the individual kills that each individual unit had.

Especially in RT battle such as you have in CMSF.....it is hard to see who shot what. The end of game kill tally really helps tell the story of the battle.

Guys like to brag about that infantry squad that killed 40 enemy and captured 10. The Panther than killed 12 T-34s and 3 armored cars, etc..

Any chance this will come back?

Originally posted by Flanker15:

Hit text and detailed stats are apparently on the list for being added.

Is this true? I hope so. These are things I've missed just playing the demo. I used to love zipping around the map after the battle and examining the spots that had lots of action (which the 1:1 casualties adds to a lot) and checking unit kills on both sides.

Mord.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget about kills for artillery and air support. In CMx1 spotter had artillery kills, but in CMSF support assets are separated. I always liked to check after battle if that shelling hit anyone.

I would also like more detailed statistics at the end of the combat. Not only how many infantry, vehicles, etc. killed but also how many infantry killed by infantry, by tanks, by artillery, etc. I always liked statistics.

Hi All,

I also miss kill statistics. It was one of those items that created interest for me while doing a post mortem of a game. Especially with a human opponent. The old question of "what got my AT gun on the hill" or " what the hell killed all my infantry in the village" could usually be answered.

Regards John

The elevation editor in CMSF is quite an improvement over CMx1. But it works a little differently as the old one: instead of having to select every single squares's height, now you just draw the contour lines and the editor assigns the appropriate elevation changes between the selected areas. This makes things alot easier and much faster. smile.gif

And while you cannot change individual soldiers' names, you can change the names and status of units in the editor.

You get my voice too... it was nice to see which unit killed, destroyed, captured the most.. for example.. once in cmbb one of my finnish AT-rifle team got hit and one of the two men died/wounded. and a T-34 came right next to that unit and that one guy surrended to the tank :D but the tank annihilated that poor at-rifle guy :( after the battle I checked that if that tank really captured it and it did :D

I agree, kill tracking very useful in post-game analysis.

There are 6 other things that I would like to see and I thought I read that some were in a patch but cannot find the thread.

1. Turn all movement orders on for all units at once so we can see where everyone is going.

2. Lines to show who is under an HQ. Even though the units highlight when you click the HQ icon, it would be very useful to have a line (black/red) to indicate whether a unit is in/not in contact and what units are under that HQ.

3. LOS indicator - It would be great to see if a unit has LOS to a point. Now I have to wait until a unit is visible and then check.

4. How many men in a unit are OK and how many have been incapacitated. Yes, I can see that 3 men are OK (maybe 1 wounded) but how many men were there in the unit to begin with. I liked the CMx1 icons of 1/7 where 1 unit is still active and 7 are incapacitated. It told me how much of a beating I was taking. Now I have to search the screen for minutes looking for red bases. It is a waste of time.

5. Detailed hit information. Yes I can see the explosion and the fire and the red base but a bit more information on the hit would be useful.

6. The right mouse button actions. I liked the ability to just right click with all actions and then go from there to the board. Hunting and pecking the bottom info bar is not intuitive or not as intuitive as a right mouse click.

This would be a start. This is a good game and it is in version 1.0x so there is room for improvement. Some ideas in User Interface use for CMx1 were the apex of design (some would say brilliantly inspired) and I do not think you should throw the baby out with the bath water. Bringing back a few of these would improve the ability to play the game but would not change the new game itself. The CMx2 game engine is good (and getting better). I like the direction it is going and it is superior to CMx1 from the looks of it. I just liked some of the egonomics of CMx1 better so why not combine both?