The OMG how cool is that thread

Hev

Originally posted by thewood:

Hey, since you're still up and coherent (?), maybe you can answer my BMP question in another thread since Sergie is busy googling dirty words and programming my tivo

Where is it? .pngs are preferable - I find if I save it as a 24-bit bmp first, then as a .png it reduces file size a bit without degrading colour levels.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I really, REALLY love is how the building model affects tactics in greater detail. I had become used to the abstraction of CMx1 when it came to buildings, but all of that changed in CMSF the first time I sent a squad across the alley into a neighboring structure only to realize that... there wasn't a door on this side. Some of my guys bravely rushed around the corner to where the door was, but they got cut down, so others hunkered down in the alley itself instead.

Likewise, zooming in and watching troops take up positions at the windows is a great detail. Question: do windows and doors actually limit the number of firers? I assume so, but would love confirmation.

All the great graphics you guys are mentioning...an absolute thrill...But I really want to give a tip of the hat to the floating unit icons. They grow on them as you use them. But the single most OMG thing is the programmable AI in the editor...That IS the Brave New World

Originally posted by Martin Krejcirik:

It's really cool how deadly a platoon of Abrams can be, shattering dozens of enemy vehicles in few seconds. Not that I didn't expect it smile.gif

LOL I guess I've been getting retards as tankers (Demo, Basic Training). They keep getting wiped out. But then their commander (me) might just be using them all wrong. :rolleyes:

Crassus: be not deceived. If I have veiled my look I turn the trouble of my countenance merely upon myself. For vexed I am at late with passion some difference, conceptions only proper to myself, which gives some soil perhaps to my behavior. But let not therefor my good friends be grieved, among which number Crassus you be one. Nor construe any further my neglect than that poor Brutus, with himself at war, forgets the shows of love to other men.

Julius Caesar/William Shakespeare

I had a Bradley firing through a small tree line and one of the rounds impacted in an individual tree. In RL the round would have cut the tree (didn't happen in the game) but nonetheless it was a "how cool is that" moment.

Honorable mentions: 1) how easy to use is the new in game interface (commands); 2) how well designed is the interface for the scenario editor

3) how easy is to create map elevations

Made a scenario trying to simulate the events in the fictional book "Time to Hunt", albeit with a modern twist. I had sniper teams attempting to stop a batallion of Syrian SF and Syrian Fighters while they moved through a forested valley. The sides of the valley were thick with vegetation, the floor of the valley had only bushes and tall grass.

It was a losing situation for the sniper teams, but one of my last remaining snipers pulled a "Bob the Nailer" move. He managed to take out a good 15 or 20 men, singlehandedly.

It was amazing to see this one guy, surrounded by his downed teammates, dropping Syrians as the closed in on his position. The pops of their AK's ripping up his position, the thumps of his rifle as he killed the enemy.

Really, really, really cool.

And they did kill him, unfortunately.

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

... Oh and that line barrage artillery thing. Used it on that trench in the demo, the poor bastards in the trench never knew what hit them.

Same here smile.gif

1st mission in the campaign, after calling in artillery on the trenches:

a) wow, it works

B) man, it works frightening great

B) dang, I am mean and unfair to them

c) WOOOW, I just called them "them" ... Neo, wake up, it is just math wrapped in a simulation!

How cool is this!

Syrian tank with reactive armour boxes all over it prior to contact with US forces.

RA2.jpg

The same tank some time later, after it has been engaged by a 40mm grenade launcher. Several large secondary explosions were observed as the grenades hit the tank. Now look at the front of the tank. Several reactive armour boxes are missing.

Boss!

RA1.jpg