*MOD* Aussie Digger

M1A1TC

Gib, the guy has said from the beginning (his second post in the thread) that he's fully aware his project will be doing nothing more than changing the appearance of the troops - and furthermore, that he regrets that more isn't possible.

You've consistently pretended to acknowledge that fact, and then consistently ignored it, attempting to use his simple request for information as a platform to exercise your well-honed (and yet utterly worthless) righteous indignation.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by gibsonm:

You are welcome to your opinion as am I.

I don’t have an issue with the uniform.

Its the idea that some guy wearing DPCU and carrying an M-4 getting out of a Bradley is somehow an accurate representation of an Australian soldier on operations.

I’m trying to get the ADF to at least look at buying this so that we can use it in training but for that to happen it needs to be an accurate simulation.

If the powers that be see this mod then the “accurate” and “simulation” tests are failed before we go anywhere.

I too use Steel Beasts Pro (I have the ANZAC version and a paid copy) and again make the comment that I’m sure there a skin depicting say a Leo 2A6 in winter cam instead of desert would be welcomed. However a Leo 2A6 “modded” and called a Merkava say wouldn’t.

To answer your final question I can’t “help him get it right” because the game doesn’t have the underlying data for the AUSTEYR (which is different to the original even if it was modelled), the ASLAV, the ASLAV2, the BUSHMASTER, our PPE, our load carrying gear, etc., etc. and without this it wont ever be “right” no matter how pretty it looks.

Hold on, let's get a few things straight here.

Whether or not someone wants to download this is the option of the individual player.

HE will decide whether or not this is an accurate depiction of the ADF. If he does, he's obviously incorrect, but i suspect most people who play such a simulation based and realism savvy program won't make that silly mistake.

Furthermore, M1A1 is making this mod for the purposes of such people who understand this, and wish to simply "pretend", for "game" or other reasonable purposes. He is not making this mod for the ADF, or for BFC, or for any official purposes, he is offering this for anyone out in the CM community.

Understood?

I am not claiming that this mod is the best sumulated representation of Aussie military. I simply offer an option for someone who might want to pretend that they are playing with Aussie forces, and this skin job helps them visually

I hope someday we will get a real Aussie module from BFC (as well as IDF, Russian and NATO modules smile.gif )

Thank you all who are supporting me.

Disclamer: I do not work for BFC. I was not a beta-tester. I am simply a Russian guy in US Army who know a little about graphic design

[ December 27, 2007, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]

Originally posted by 'Card:

Gib, the guy has said from the beginning (his second post in the thread) that he's fully aware his project will be doing nothing more than changing the appearance of the troops - and furthermore, that he regrets that more isn't possible.

Well his seocnd post in its entirety says:

“Thanks a lot, these are great. I got some useful shots

I can also could use high-res photos of the gear like body armor, straight on, front and back, unobstructed. Most of the photos on the web are not optimal for modding purposes.”

So where does it say what you claim?

Enjoy.

Hey GibsonM,

Here is his THIRD post, looks about right to me.

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Yeah, unfortunatly all we can do is make it "pretty" as you put it. I fugured if you are Aussie, you can atleast pretend they are aussies as well with all the pretty colours

I am about half way done with it, Ill post updates when I am close

Cheers

The Canadian Army?! The Canadian Army??!!

You must be joking, right?

Just how are you going to get the BACON right? I mean, even if you make it LOOK like Canadian Bacon, under that pretty skin it will still just be plain-old American bacon, and that would be such a hideous insult to Canadians that I shudder to think of the response.

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

yeah, I didnt realize that my Aussie mod was going to turn into such heated debate smile.gif Can you imagine how pissed Canadians will be? They might invade smile.gif

We'd actually only invade to get the benefits and compensation smile.gif

We just want the war with the US so we can benefit from the reconstruction contracts and get all new infrastructure at the expense of the US :D

It's all in the way its being said.

Gibson, the tone in your replies isn't really friendly. You give the impression that you're actually fed up with people doing a mod on something that you think is rather useless.

Of course that's your opinion, but you're not obligated to download and use the mod. If you don't like it, don't use it, but you don't have to bash the creator for it.

You're, of course, free to express your opinion about something, but don't bring it so rude.

It'll only start flame wars and it respectless to the creator of the mod.

Skinning is a time consuming effort. I come across mods I don't like, or don't really think are adding to my gaming experience, all the time (other games included), but I do understand that a lot of time has been put into every one of them and as such should be respected none the less.

Let's be considerate of that.

I’m not against mods that form as useful purpose.

I have heaps of mods for CMX1 (CMETO, etc.) but all of these are based on the same vehicle of whatever.

e.g. base vehicle is a Panther, modded vehicle is a Panther with winter cam.

I see absolutely no point though in a mod that takes say a Panther and purports to turn it into a Sherman.

But lets not let the facts get in the way, by all means enjoy your fantasy.

So let me make sure I've got this straight, Gib...

M1A1ATC's project won't influence you, impact you, relate to you, affect you, require anything from you, or be associated with you in any way. I'd even go so far as to hypothesize that if you were to stop looking at this thread you could in all likelihood carry on with the rest of your life blissfully unaware of his project's existence.

So the reason for your continued participation in this thread is what exactly? As far as I can tell, your sole objective appears to be impressing all of us with what a stunningly insufferable pretentious jackass you are.

And if that was your goal? Trust me on this one, hero: Mission Accomplished!

Originally posted by Yskonyn:

It's all in the way its being said.

Gibson, the tone in your replies isn't really friendly.

Please. PLEASE. M1A1 alternates between railing against BFC as the devil incarnate and then falling on the ground and begging for a tummy rub while licking their boots, all the while ensuring he has one or two self-congratulatory posts being sure to remind us of his glorious military career which at last count included as a tank loader, the general's driver, the water boy for an artillery regiment, some photo-ops in the turret of a tank, and a National Guard Cop.

Of course that's your opinion, but you're not obligated to download and use the mod. If you don't like it, don't use it, but you don't have to bash the creator for it.
Would that Gibson had a crowbar and an arm long enough.

You're, of course, free to express your opinion about something, but don't bring it so rude.
Like M1a1 wishing for BFC to go broke because they got the switches in the auxiliary driveshaft actuating rod controls wrong? That kind of rude? You reap what you sow.

It'll only start flame wars and it respectless to the creator of the mod.
Respect is earned, not granted.

Skinning is a time consuming effort.
So is running off at the mouth on the internet.

I come across mods I don't like, or don't really think are adding to my gaming experience, all the time (other games included), but I do understand that a lot of time has been put into every one of them and as such should be respected none the less.
Invading Poland took a lot of time and effort but who has respect for that anymore? I haven't seen such specious logic since my cousin's stepmother actually believed there was merit to the argument that making his his bed in the morning was a waste of time since he would just be sleeping in it that night anyway.

Let's be considerate of that.
Because Heaven forbid we should have one less primadonna mod dude on the forum jumping up and down begging for attention with more eyesore screenshots.

I wanted to say something really clever and witty, but:

A) I'm stupid and not good with 'em words n' stuff, like.

B) I lost track of who's being and idiot and who's rightfully offended.

So I'll just settle for a Hi Mom smile.gif

PS: Quite a few posters in this thread better be bloody grateful I'm not the moderator around here...

On one hand, Austrlian DCPU skins is a really nice idea, but on the other, as Gibson has pointed out its pretty useless.

The make pretend factor is far too high.

That said, its not an outrage that someone would consider knocking up an Auscam skin.

What really interests me is why Gibson relates the point back to the ADF considering the use of CMSF as a training aid. I suppose you could give it to officer cadets as a tatical primer on mechanised warfare, but the Australian Army isn't big on that sort of thing.

Well if you did a full Australian version with ASLAV, Bushmaster and ARH as well as Australian Infantry it would be a good tool for MRE (Mission Rehearsal Exercises - not that stuff US soldiers call "food") simulations of Security Ops for both our involvement in Iraq and / or Afghanistan.

I currently use similar tools when teaching Captains who want to become Majors to check on "Post H Hr decision making" (i.e. they devise a plan and we implement it and see what happens - without soldiers dying).

But without TCP/IP WEGO and the resulting ability to replay a turn, its teaching value in a networked environment (i.e. Australian "player" on one computer in a room with the enemy player using another machine in a different location) would be very limited.

[ December 28, 2007, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

There's no doubt that a full mod would make the game have more potential for training aid.

But I do not recall having read anywhere that there are any such ambitions for CMSF.

There's a new thread opened about 'modding and BFC' and plainly it comes to this: BFC isn't big enough to survive to upen up their code to enable full scale mod making. So apart from the BFC created modules all we're going to see -at least for quite some time to come- are skins and sounds.