Opinions on Air Bursts

Originally posted by Huntarr:

4q8re4l.jpg

New effect 1.03

Just my personal preference, I really liked the "Cone of Death" It immediately reminded me of airbursts the first time I saw them. The only thing that could have made them look more realistic would be the little random dirt puffs that pop in a circular pattern under the airburst from the fragmentation. That may be getting a little too detailed smile.gif

67z53k2.jpg

Ye ole effect 1.02

I also noticed the smoke is gone from 1.03. :( That was very true to life. That's missed. If the speed of the down effect of the cone was faster would that might be a good compromise.

Please share your thoughts. I can live with either I just like the prior version.

[ April 06, 2008, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

Without having seen the new version in action, I expect it to be much better and more immersive than the slowly falling shrapnel dots.

The little random dirt puffs would be the best solution, of course! They could even bring back some of the old shockwave glory, if they spread with the speed of sound!

Best regards,

Thomm

I personally think the 1.03 version is probably a bit more realistic. (I have not seen them myself, just posted SS's.)

Unless a round has some sort of sub-munition that is designed to "rain down" on a target after the container bursts in the air over it, you really should not get that "showering" effect for every round fired on personnel.

When a regular mortar or artillery shell bursts in the air without hitting trees or any other overhead materials, you should just see a regular burst of light and a bit of smoke. The fragments of the shell would fly about in all directions rather than just heading down. The screen shot provided for ver. 1.03, clearly duplicates that IMO.

[ August 31, 2007, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by JonS:

The new ones are far and away better - the old one looked like nothing more than a gentle summer rain shower, slowly drifting down.

The speed of the cone can be sped up.

I don't like the scaling of the burst. It is the same at long range as it is short range. It looks silly at long range. The burst is massive.

Here is an Mil file for those who think airbursts are spherical explosions. They are conical in effect.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2002gun/becker.pdf

[ November 22, 2007, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

The speed of the cone can be sped up.
Arr! Perhaps, but it never was, now was it matey!

But away with ye. The whole thinking that fragments come down in a CMSF-like cone is for the scurvey dogs ... unless the US Army has started using Lt Henry Shrapnel's foul spherical case shot. Yarrr!

[ September 19, 2007, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Red John Vane ]

• 2 months later...

The old "cone of death" didn't look right because the fragments were moving too slowly and also in a pronounced parabola rather than straight down like a bullet. However, the new graphic is just plain wrong as many have pointed out. It looks more like anti-aircraft flak than artillery fire.

I would prefer something that looked rather like a giant sawn-off shotgun blast aimed at the ground, coupled with a pronounced amount of disturbed dust and earth when the blast touches the ground.

You could just forget about the particle fragment effects and just have the puff of smoke at the top and the impact puffs on the ground.

That is what the excellent video posted by huntarr above shows.

Originally posted by Huntarr:

here is a video that should help you see that BFC was closer to the real thing the first time around.

The trick to the visual is the combination of puff of smoke in the air, but what really sells it is the ground effect.