Are we less then 3 months away from playing ? (the count down thread)

This thread is now more then a month old....

flavour_tn.jpg

this screen shot was released in Mid Nov.

Just wondering if we will be playing this game by maybe March or April next year?

wondering...

(sorry, I know I know, "when its finished", my issue with that concept is the programer's motto: "The last bug isn't fixed until the last user is dead." so.... by definition when is it actually "finished?

Hint: I don't plan to give my life for this game :D )

-tom w

[ March 13, 2007, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dan/california:

I'm sticking with the theory that the forum IS the game until it is on my hard drive. smile.gif

YES

here's a new business model

why don't they just charge us a small fee ($5.00 US Visa paypal payonline or post dated cheques or whatever) per month to view the forum (and and ALL forums) and then just ship the games for free? :D

Lets see.... there are over 20,000 registered members

um that's over $100,000 cash flow in per month, SEE the forum REALLY is the game, then they can just ship their software for free... That would be over $1.2 million per year. (maybe $5.00 month per person is not enough?)

he he he

No? smile.gif

-tom w

Just buy a brand new top of the line computer, send it to me, and I will test it for you. I prefer something like an Alienware rig, but will settle for something lesser. :D

Originally posted by patboy:

I'm planning to buy a new PC for X-mas and I'm wondering which computer specs are required to play with the awaited CM : shock force and the next modules?

Any ideas Battlefront pls ?

Thanks

Pat

Originally posted by patboy:

I'm planning to buy a new PC for X-mas and I'm wondering which computer specs are required to play with the awaited CM : shock force and the next modules?

Any ideas Battlefront pls ?

Thanks

Pat

Any Mid-range to top of the line computer you buy now will likely do JUST fine.

(BUT I am just speculating)

-tom w

Tom's right. I'm playing on a 2GHz system with a crappy ATI card. It works pretty darned well, though I certainly wouldn't mind something faster.

What EVERYBODY should do is stay away from ATI cards. We're doing our best, but trying to work around their flakey shadow technique and a few other things is impossible. We can only do so much :(

I hate bad mouthing hardware, but if someone has a purchase decision to make, going with ATI is a bad idea.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Tom's right. I'm playing on a 2GHz system with a crappy ATI card. It works pretty darned well, though I certainly wouldn't mind something faster.

What EVERYBODY should do is stay away from ATI cards. We're doing our best, but trying to work around their flakey shadow technique and a few other things is impossible. We can only do so much :(

I hate bad mouthing hardware, but if someone has a purchase decision to make, going with ATI is a bad idea.

Steve

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

Tell me it aint so?! I luvs my ATI!

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Steve

OK then,

Thanks Steve

can you check your e-mail for something from me....

-tom w

Ooooh, the first glimmer of system specs for CMSF! I've been afraid to so much as look at a new computer all year for fear of finding out later that my new acquisition won't run the game. Keep listing hardware and software we shouldn't consider if we're going to run the game properly!

Any reason to be concerned about those wacky recent (or near future) Mac/Microsoft OS advances?

IIRC my ATI card is the 9600 type with 128MB of VRAM. But I'd have to double check that. On top of the hardware issues, ATI has a pretty spotty record of releasing drivers that work correctly. Nvidia is certainly the better way to go.

As for the the future, who knows. We should run on VISTA and the 101 versions that were released in the last 3-4 years. I run XP myself.

For the Mac, it's looking like Intel based Macs only. Not entirely sure about that, but it would seem to be a poor investment for us since by the time CMWW2 comes out pretty much non PowerPC based computers will be within specs. Which means we are faced with doing a Mac conversion for CM:SF only, and that doesn't appear to be worth our time. Having said that, we're still keeping options open at this point.

Steve

Don't get me wrong guys, the ATI cards work and the better ones work very well. Caveat here is that shadows and certain visual effects don't work nearly as well as they should nor as well as they do on other cards. If you already have an ATI card, you'll live. But if you are about to go buy something new then you should look into a dfferent card. As others have mentioned, the ATI problems befuddle all developers, not just us.

Wicky, sorry to hear that. Like I said, nothing is final. But it doesn't look good. We don't have to do anything special to get CMx1 to work on the new Intel based Macs. That makes it sooo much harder to justify making a PPC version.

Steve