Your Best Screen Shot?

MarkEzra

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead Man Standing

CMSF0017-1.jpg

I spotted this in the course of playing "Red Pepper v1.1". As indicated by the just barely visible death's head symbol at his feet, Mr. Oohrah was dead before he hit the ground. =(

Not my best screenshot; but after not playing for almost a year, this is the first of many. From mission 2 of the Marines campaign. This squad of Marines are badasses. They took 4 casualties storming a trench from a machine gun emplacement *I thought* I had taken out. They continued to advance through the trench, then assaulted the building housing said machine gun, which also housed another infantry squad. They took only 1 more minor casualty, and cleared the building. From there, they began directing CAS fire, resulting in the ability for another platoon to advance and seize an objective. They were later followed by the rest of their platoon, plus another infantry platoon, and continued to work their flank, calling artillery and CAS, and providing accurate rifle fire until the Syrians surrendered.

After 3 tries, Mission #2 completed with 5 WIA; 1 KIA. One of the WIA was because I stupidly left a squad in the open while waiting for a movement command, and another was another squad took a lucky hit while taking an objective.

marines1.jpg

I've double checked the Editor TOE and a dismounted vehicle is provided for the HQ. So this appears to be a decision made by the scen designer (or perhaps an oversight). You might want to start a separate thread to better alert the designer. But bug it is not (thank God!)

dismounted40mm.jpg

This is just something crazy I happened to come upon while playing Mission 2 of the TF Thunder campaign last night. It shows the power of the .50 cal round going right through a pickup truck longways and right through the driver as well.

Beautiful!

I still wonder, though, whether the CM:SF tracers really end at the location where the bullet is stopped completely.

Best regards,

Thomm

Speaking from a position of relative ignorance, I'm wondering if it's possible for a .50 cal round to pass right through all that metal, gristle etc and still keep on travelling? I know those guns are mighty powerful, but . . .

In the specific case above, definitely!

There was not much in its way other than sheet metal and, well, human tissue.

But in the past I asked my self every now and then whether the tracers (not the actual damage modelling) can overshoot or not.

Best regards,

Thomm

From what I understand, the only part of a Toyota-style pickup (such as what the "technical" in CM:SF is modelled after) which would have a real chance of stopping or at least deflecting a 50-cal. round would be the engine block itself.

Assuming that the above screenshots accurately reflect the path of the round into and through the vehicle, it looks to me like the round passed just to one side of the engine block itself.

As a .50 cal gunner for 2 years, we were taught that a .50 cal bullet will definitely hurt an engine block. I don't think it would go straight through it, but I do think it could break it open. The .50 is no joke and has some serious power behind it. In the case of this screenshot, it doesn't look like it would hit the engine block, and therefor I think the round would go through just as shown. Gotta feel sorry for the driver though, one second he's rollin' in his pickup, next second his spine and innerds are all over the steering wheel. :(

The tracers don't stop where the round stops in CM:SF from what I've seen, well they do but the "bullet" isn't at the end of the tracer it's more in the middle. So when it hits something and stops you can see half of the tracer sticking out in front of the hit point. The best way to track shots is to watch the little hit explosions as it goes through something.

In the above shot the bullet appears to have gone through the back tray door, through the gunner, through the drivers head rest area, missing the driver (or maybe about to hit the driver?) and then it'll go out the windscreen.

The tracers don't stop where the round stops in CM:SF from what I've seen, well they do but the "bullet" isn't at the end of the tracer it's more in the middle. So when it hits something and stops you can see half of the tracer sticking out in front of the hit point.

Oh, thanks! Seems that I am not seeing things!

BFC or beta testers, is this an item of interest?

Best regards,

Thomm

I sometimes go trolling through other game sites looking over their screenshots. A lot of the games, even the high-end games, you can see they went 80% there on the art then slacked-off on the last 20%. Close enough was close enough. CMSF usually gets 95% of the way there, on a few items 100%. The only game to match its on vehicles seems to be Theatre of War.

I probably posted this pict earlier:

MTVR_Compare.jpg