Initial info on pending v1.02

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

That's just plain awesome. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks guys.

I'm tempted to ask questions, but it's so close to your release date that I'll just see for myself.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank you BFC. Your commitment to excellence is exceeded only by your creative talents.

And while I'm thinking about it: A big thank you to those BFC families who have had to suffer your absence these last months... My wife is only beginning to suffer the same smile.gif

Steve -

Any insight into the problems that some of us are having saving and loading games? I know you had mentioned that someone was sending you some files. I can't play the campaign at all, as any loads or saves are now crashing (see post in tech support forum).

I'm excited about the 'defensive' AI improvements

Steve,

thanks for the information, looking forward to play the patch. Just one question:

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

* New customizable hotkeys with more "direct keys" (these show up in green in the command buttons). Note that it's OK to leave a hotkey blank.

* F5-F8 keys jump directly to command panels

Can we customize these panel keys F5-F8? I would love the option to remove the default behavior of number keys 1-9 and use them for command panels instead. This way I wouldn't need to move my left hand at all when issuing commands. (Example: use 1-4 for panels, QWEASDZXC for commands and then RTFGVB etc. for the "direct keys").

There will be many of these improvements in v1.02, which should be out Wednesday if all goes well with final testing. Other things will take a bit more time. And TacAI improvements will be a long term thing for us to tweak/fix.

Steve

Ok it's Wednesday, is the patch coming out today? :D

PATCH IS OUT PATCH IS OUT !!

Its awesome !

Just kidding ..

Originally posted by JohnE:

* New Option allows user to choose whether CMSF runs at normal priority (better for mouse input for some people) or high priority (can improve frame rate)

That is so much better.. There is no reason why this game shouldn't scream on my rig with everything maxed AA/aniso yet I am still getting only average framerates. I have a feeling its got to do with cpu usage and priority.. Hopefully this will fix the issue. I shouldn't be cpu bound on this game with a 4800+X2 (not the newest processor, but still should be enough)

JohnE,

No, not yet. Charles wants to deal with the multi processor thing on its own.

Steve

Hi Steve,

As a Quad Core owner, I look forward to any multi-core enhancements that you can offer in future patches. Given the performance stress that CMSF puts on the CPU and the fact that multiple cores on processors are the future, it would probably be wise to devote some resources there (Sorry Charles!). Establishing some multi-threaded code in the near future would help with the overall longevity of the CMX2 engine and would provide a nice performance boost to those of us with multiple core systems.

Thank you as well Steve for still being accessable after all these years. I had a great deal of respect for you guys back when CMBO was released and I still do today.

I do look forward to other fixes as well since CMSF came out of the oven just a bit too soon.

Chris

Charles just uploaded (for internal testing) what appears to be the final version of v1.02. There were some tweaks to the TacAI's use of smoke that you're going to be darn glad you didn't have to wait until v1.03 to get. Oh... like popping smoke even when a dead enemy unit is spotted. The environment then became, well, rather like an indoor Greatful Dead or Phish concert. For any of you who have ever been to one of those (I was dragged to GD show as a kid) you'll know what I mean.

Charles also fixed a long standing ATGM accuracy bug that we could never, ever pin down before. Turns out that on some maps with certain wind conditions and direction an ATGM could kick up enough dust from the backblast that it would float in front of the gunner thus causing accuracy reductions. Yes folks, this "RTS" game we made does simulate the effects of dust kicked up by backblasts. Doesn't every RTS do that? ;)

Steve

Charles also fixed a long standing ATGM accuracy bug that we could never, ever pin down before. Turns out that on some maps with certain wind conditions and direction an ATGM could kick up enough dust from the backblast that it would float in front of the gunner thus causing accuracy reductions. Yes folks, this "RTS" game we made does simulate the effects of dust kicked up by backblasts. Doesn't every RTS do that? ;)

Steve

I'm not impressed until every ATGM attack checks for probability of the gunner sneezing with missile inflight. It has to be a factor of dust, wind conditions, allergy conditions, and fruit fly density.

That backblast dust thing gives me the willies. I know now that I will LOVE this game like a crazy hipster love god when all patches are in.

But I will also love it a little bit more in between.

Mmmmmm. Graphically correct backblast dust affects accuracy. That's good.

Originally posted by Phillip Culliton:

Mmmmmm. Graphically correct backblast dust affects accuracy. That's good.

That's unheard of is what it is.

On a related note to smoke, night time, and seeing in the dark, is it assumed that all but the Syrian irregulars have modern night vision gear that can cut not only see at night but through the plasticized smoke?