US VS N.KOREA MOD

Id like to see a mod where the Syrian forces are modded into North Koreans. Shouldn't be very hard to do, right? Dont they use same old Soviet hardware? All you would need to change is Uniforms, markings, faces and language. US forces can stay same, just repaint the vehicles.

Id love to see this work. Anyone else?

You can't get US without body armor. Just about every team has a 40mm grenade launcher guy. US only carries carbines. Syrians carry AKs. The reasons for NOT turning this into a 1950-53 wargame just keep piling up.

Now that I think of it there doesn't seem to be one piece of equipment that would be Koream war appropriate, except for some types of Syrian off-map artillery and a couple old Syrian mgs used by the militia.

If you set it a bit into the future maybe the S. Korean K2's could be included:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2_Black_Panther

It's supposed to have low rider style suspension which is pretty cool. Clearly we're outside the realms of simple modding now...but what the heck, I can dream, can't I?

The module would have to include the S. Korean army since they would do most of the fighting. When I was there I think there were like 50,000 US troops there and now it's a lot less. Maybe you could throw in a few neighboring countries too - China perhaps (how's that for expanding your target market)? Other NATO countries from previous modules could just be recycled.

The dominant terrain feature I remember is hills, lots of steep hills but the new map editor should be ok with that. Just add new foliage, trees, boulders and various styles of tank traps/barriers. Also buildings are obviously different and Itaewon would need special flavour objects. Oh, and it snows in Korea so unless we pretend all the action is spring-fall that'll have to be in too.

I grew up in Korea and would so love to see this. The S. Koreans are pretty keen gamers so there should be plenty of local interest & dev resources. Lots of GIs have been there too so it's not too much of an unknown for Americans.

Realistically though I'm not going to hold my breath. Sadly, the original war is largely forgotten and people still ask me if I lived in North or South Korea.

"He didn't say 50-53."

D'oh! (slaps forehead). NOW I see he meant modern day Korea. Sorry 'bout that. Interesting concept. The game engine does really nice looking hills & ridges. The North Korean Army soldiers in the game would be atypically tall & lanky I suppose :D

While there are certainly graphics issues in term of both the soldier and vegetation appearance it strikes me that the only issue in terms of how it would play would have to do with different TO&E. There are certainly differences in equipment but it old Soviet stuff is old Soviet stuff the world around. If the scenario is within range of DMZ you just have to give the North Koreans a LOT of arty. Not perfect but certainly doable.

I would think the South Korean market would be interesting for Battlefront, but the translation and advertising may be prohibitive. The South Koreans also have a delusional theory that the North is going to curl up and wither away. I remain doubtful about that one myself.

Is it possible in the editor to set morale very high and endurance very low at the same time to reflect being both fanatic and underfed?

The North Korean Army soldiers in the game would be atypically tall & lanky I suppose.
In the long term you know you have a problem when Syrian conscripts look to well fed and healthy to be models for your army. Doesn't mean the endgame won't be a heck of a mess though.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

I didn't think the North would be capable of an offensive other than shelling the hell out of Seoul.

It would probably be the other way around, seeing as U.S. command are usually the instigators.

Debatable, but you would really want to stop them from doing that shelling asap. And hopefully stand the upper echelons of the North's government against the nearest convenient wall when you were done too.

A second Korean war would be off the scale ugly and is worth almost any amount of hassle, diplomatic fudging,and out and out payoffs to avoid, but if it happens for gods sake make sure it is the last Korean war. The South does not want to deal with occupying and rebuilding the North but they won't have any real choice if it comes to it. There is no language barrier at least.

Fortunately the Chinese have rediscovered their considerable leverage with the North Koreans and they are talking sense in the last week or two. Hopefully it is a trend but people who bet on North Korean rationality have a history of being very dissapointed.

[ July 20, 2007, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: dan/california ]

Originally posted by dan/california:

Debatable, but you would really want to stop them from doing that shelling asap.

Agreed. What I mean is Jens mentions some books about a North Korean attack which I assume means an advance into the South. From what I've read the ROK Army could handle the North without U.S. help and such an Northern offensive would be rather unlikely. The fact that the North can hold the city of Seoul hostage with its artillery tubes is the main deterence to either the South or the U.S. starting a war.

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

I wsa stationed on Camp Casey.. I'd love to do a scenario of holding my old barracks against the N. Korea hordes :D

I was in Camp Casey as well, 2000-2001, C Company 1-72 Armor Battalion </font>I was there from 2001-2002, in 2-9. You're lucky you left at that point, afte the protests kicked off life sucked. I didn't leave the camp for six monthes, except for training.

I was there during 9/11 attacks, and few months after that life sucked too. We had barbed wire around our barracks, and posted tanks at the valley entrance. I had a Russian drinky-girl girlfriend, and I couldnt see her pretty much until I left

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

We had barbed wire around our barracks

I could just see the post commander ordering that too.

Another scenario I'd like to see is holding Camp Warrior and the nearby bridges, assuming that it isn't flattened first by arty.

I wonder if the editor would allow a steep steep hill like the one that was next to camp casey? You know the one that had the temple at the base of it. I forget its name. One day our squad got bored and ruckmarched straight up the side of it that was facing camp. That was tough and I could ony imagine trying to attack up something like that.

Originally posted by track:

Yeah an ultra-modern MBT vs. North Korean modded T-55s and Chinese imports. What a fight. Wonder who would lose...

Ironically, South Korea has more modern Russian equipment than the North as well. The Russians gave the South Koreans several T-80Us, BMP-3s, and I think some transport helos (Ka-32, Mi-172). The South decided to take them as part of Russia's repayment of their debt to S.Korea. Apparently they liked them enough to purchase more Russian gear while the North is still stuck with equipment two or three generations behind.

[ July 22, 2007, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Commissar ]