Russian Equivalent Stryker Capability

I thought this would make for an interesting contrast to the Stryker brigade concept.

For many years now the Soviets and, later, Russians have pioneered the concept of rapidly deployable armored forces. For all intents and purposes, the Russian airborne divisions are light mechanized units about half the size of a US division, operating with equipment that is very quickly deployable by all aviation assets (including most helicopters) of the Russian military.

Some of the modern Russian airborne equipment:

32.jpg

BTR-D APC

35.jpg

BTR-D with Kornet ATGM

39.jpg

2S9 Nona 120mm self propelled mortar/assault gun

2c25_8.jpg

2S25 Sprut Light Tank with 125mm gun

bmd4.jpg

BMD-4 IFV (with 100mm gun/missile launcher and 30mm coax)

Originally posted by Nidan1:

The BTR, BMD type of IFVs were introduced in the mid 70's, is this the most modern equipment the Russians have in their inventory?

The current version of the BMD is pretty modern. The 2S25 is brand new. The BTR-D is kind of like a mini M113, so it's not particularly modern.

IIRC the old Soviet Western Strategic Direction had three desant "divisions" of brigade strength that formed the spearhead of their deep operational forces; that along with the OMGs formed their strategic/operational mobile "extraordinary force" (as opposed to the "ordinary force" of the Fronts' Armies that provided holding and armoured/shock breakthrough forces.

Whilst the first echelon forces such as 2nd GTA and 3rd SA batter the hell out NATO divisions in the North German Plain the idea was to "land" these airborne mechanised brigade forces deep in the rear of our defences.

The "operational worth" of mechanised forces able to manoeuvre and fight a mobile battle/operation in NATO's rear area was viewed by many as a huge force multiplier. So to be able to deploy these forces very rapidly by surprise in deep penetrations/landings by air was seen as an even greater operational multiplier.

Whether these desant units could actually have made a safe passage through an air corridor let alone sustain a mobile battle via air supply is dubious. However if an airborne mech brigade suddenly turns up in Antwerp it makes SHAPE sit up and take note.

I personally think that the ability of these desant brigades to wreak havoc to our C4I, airfields, communications and logistics tail and prevent follow-on "Re-forger" type reinforcements and the collection/marry-up with POMCUS equipment would be wholly dependant on a WARPACT air supremacy that was always doubtful.

Originally posted by cassh:

Whether these desant units could actually have made a safe passage through an air corridor let alone sustain a mobile battle via air supply is dubious....

... wholly dependant on a WARPACT air supremacy that was always doubtful.

Yes, I did a college thesis on the VDV in 1985 that reached much the same conclusion. A division- sized desant complete with BMDs and arty would also have required about 70% of all the Soviet airlift capability (IL-76s and AN-22s) then available, Aeroflot included. An airborne coup de main against Antwerp or Frankfurt was a fantasy. Battalion scale attacks -- maybe.

For purposes of my thesis, far more interesting was the location of the 7 VDV division bases: in a loose ring around Moscow HQ'ed at Tula-Ryazan, and convenient to the major highways into town.

While the VDV divisions made a useful elite rapid deployment force for places like Afghanistan and Czechoslovakia (and they were almost sent to Egypt in 1973), their primary purpose in the late Soviet era was not to execute WWII style airdrops. It was rather to act as a praetorian guard, counterbalancing the KGB and MVD units and the (ceremonial) Taman Guards. That was one thing Suvorov (Rasun) was quite right about -- one of the CPSU's governing principles was to ensure that no one organization had a monopoly on armed force.

And as it turned out, in 1991 guess who showed up at the Kremlin en masse in their BMDs and sailor shirts for the failed anti-Gorbachev coup (and then withdrew equally promptly once it failed)?

And while we're speaking of that, what do you think the US 82nd Airborne Division gets special training for? Remember who integrated the schools in Little Rock in 1956 when the Arkansas National Guard proved unreliable?

The pics are great, with several AFVs I've not seen before, but the designators confuse me.

When I was in the threat business, the BTRs, except for the fairly rare BTR-50, were all wheeled: BTR-152, BTR-60/70/80. BMPs came in the BMP-1 and BMP-2 flavors. The ASUs (57 and 85) were all tracked, and the BMDs were mini BMP-1s. Now, though, we have BMDs with the various BMP turrets,

and something which is basically a stretched BMD called a BTR-D. Wakarimasen. I don't get it!

FWIW, Soviet Airborne Operations was my first exposure to Glantz.

Regards,

John Kettler

Roughly (my Russkie ain't that good):

BTR = Brone TRansporter = armored transporter

BMP = Boyevaya Mashina Pekhota = fighting machine, infantry

BMD = Boyevaya Mashina Desanta = fighting machine, airborne

The BTR-D is an armored personnel carrier not a fighting vehicle, thus the designation.

[ August 23, 2006, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: jjhouston ]

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

The BTR, BMD type of IFVs were introduced in the mid 70's, is this the most modern equipment the Russians have in their inventory?

The current version of the BMD is pretty modern. The 2S25 is brand new. The BTR-D is kind of like a mini M113, so it's not particularly modern. </font>

Here you go:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2006/russia-060713-rianovosti01.htm

Russia set to buy 69 Topol-M missile systems by 2015

RIA Novosti

In-Depth Coverage

13/07/2006 15:18 VOLGOGRAD, July 13 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is planning to purchase 69 silo-based and mobile Topol-M ballistic missile systems in the next decade, the defense minister said Thursday.

"We are planning to buy 69 [Topol-M] systems by 2015," Sergei Ivanov said at a meeting with defense industry officials in the Volgograd Region.

Ivanov, who is also a deputy prime minister, said the defense ministry was also planning to procure 60 Iskander-M tactical ballistic missile systems to equip five missile brigades, 57 Sprut-SD self-propelled guns, 499 Rakushka airborne armored personnel carriers, and several Bereg mobile coastal artillery systems.

The defense minister earlier said that Russia's 2006 defense order would total $9 billion and increase by 20% to 303.7 bln rubles ($11.2 bln) in 2007.

However, Ivanov reiterated that defense industry enterprises should not rely solely on increasing state orders and must rapidly develop production of dual-purpose and civilian goods to stay competitive.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

No, I've only got second hand reports that 50-75 have just been ordered. I'm working on getting the original source of the figures. It sounds like the Russian Marines are getting some to replace their PT-76s with too.

Maybe the Russians are also thinking along the lines of lighter, easily deployable forces, for asymetrical warfare. Or perhaps they just don't have the rubles to spend on lavish military equipment.

[ August 23, 2006, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

IIRC they placed another order earlier this year for something like 40 T-90 tanks. But overall I think you're right - they're investing in intervention forces. Besides, the T-80s they've got now are more than adequate for any conventional threat they may face.

Most of their money seems to be going into nuclear weapons, though - probably because thats the easiest and best deterrent to trouble they can afford now. Russia is actually pretty flush with cash at the moment, but I don't think the Army is at the top of the food chain.

I also understand that Hugo Chavez from Venezuela recently placed an order for military gear from the Russians...to the equivalent tune of Three Billion US Dollars.

Maybe some of that new gear is for him...I think he is afraid that Aruba may invade soon.

"I think he is afraid that Aruba may invade soon."

Actually, I heard that when the Bush administration started discussions about how best to respond to the 9/11 terror attacks some in the cabinet suggested that he should hit the terrorists where they'd least expect ...that's right, you guessed it.

About Russian paratroops. Wouldn't mind seeing them show up in a CMSF module someday. No, wouldn't mind that one little bit. ;)

I think it'd be fun to have the Russian VDV included in a European module just to see how they'd fare with similar forces in similar circumstances.

And FWIW - there has been some paranoia about Venezuela actually taking Aruba and some of those other islands, as there is a belief that the Dutch would be largely incapable of retaking them.