Combat Mission: Shock Force Preview up on IGN

We were excited to hear that IGN just posted a raving two page preview of Combat Mission: Shock Force. Seems IGN regular reporter Steve Butts had a great time with the preview build we sent him!

"All of these elements work together to create a very believable and interesting environment. Still, the action is what matters here and Shock Force delivers it with the authenticity and accuracy that the Combat Mission series is known for. We've had a blast playing through the small bit of content in our current build and are looking forward to the improvements that the designers are sure to make in the coming months."

IGN's Combat Mission: Shock Force Preview

ign_review.jpg

Very nice! Briefings are great. I like the traffic lights, the fighter uniform, never seen these before. The above shot with the Abrams is impressive, it is supposed to be dawn or dusk right? Because it seems so from the lighting and coloration of the ground.It would be great If day/night realt time cycle is in. I've noticed that in some shots dynamic lighting is absent, while in others there is full self shadowing and all. Is it because of the overcast setting? Some softer lighting for cloudy weather would be nice because much of the graphics weight is taken off this way.

Edit. On a second look I did notice they are some pale shadows actually but due to the heavy jpeg compression these were a bit blurred.

[ April 14, 2007, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: panzermartin ]

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Just curious -- how old was the build he was using? The infantry graphics looked much older and more primative than what we have seen in the recent screenshots and vids. I'm hoping those were a lot of placeholder graphics in the preview.

I noticed this too. Perhaps the game will have graphics settings such as "Model Detail" with "Low" for low-spec machines, as in lots of other games?

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Just curious -- how old was the build he was using? The infantry graphics looked much older and more primative than what we have seen in the recent screenshots and vids. I'm hoping those were a lot of placeholder graphics in the preview.

I noticed this too. Perhaps the game will have graphics settings such as "Model Detail" with "Low" for low-spec machines, as in lots of other games? </font>

I keep on seeing concerns about graphics, and I'm wondering if the mil gamer demographic is on the medium to low end in terms of income, or just frugal. I'm running CS Source at about 40fps, and other games as well, including flight simulator, on a mid-level to slightly expensive vid card, 1gb RAM. If this game breaks my vid card, I will be really surprised.

Also, consider that we have been waiting for this engine for many years now. Surely this game itself might justify an upgrade, especially considering the subsequent modules to come out?

PC gaming is pretty much a luxury market. Expect to spend a little to get enjoyment out of this medium. It's the price of being on the cutting edge of gaming. My PC expenses (and I'm not one to constantly chase the framerates with new vid cards all the time) average about 600 bucks a year.

Madmatt,

Veddy interestink! Much to learn from the screenshots. For example, the Islamic fundamentalists aren't strong in one sector. How do I know this? The Assad poster on the lamppost hasn't been defaced. We also have the little known BMP/A (ambulance). Note its prominent red crosses, weirdly positioned on two of the road wheels. Shouldn't they be red crescents, though?

The U.S. must really be running out of troops, but its tech is so high that apparently individual agrav units nevertheless allow it to send double amputees into battle as Stryker dismounts. Doubtless, the jihadists will flee in terror at this disturbing sight!

On a more serious note, I'm thrilled to see such wonderful things as briefing maps, graphic control measures, broken suspensions (thought at first it was a graphical problem), scenarios of types we've never seen before, a look at many of the game screens, even taller buildings than we were promised (8 stories vs. 6). Keeps looking better all the time! Clearly, the IGN reporter's hooked.

As someone who felt crushed when this game was first mooted (wanted WW II or Cold War with the new engine), I must say that the more I see of CMSF, the more excited I get. Also, couldn't help but notice a Bradley was a flaming datum in one of the screens. While I want to see what the Americans can do with all their high tech toys, I'm even more interested to see what the Syrians can do--without a number of things I think they ought to have available.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

congrats on a great early review. I am now allowing myself to proceed to excitment level 2! (actually believing this game will exist in the future) I am hoping for a before christmas 2007 release date??? so good luck and god speed for CMSF.

Originally posted by forseti:

congrats on a great early review. I am now allowing myself to proceed to excitment level 2! (actually believing this game will exist in the future)

New around here, sailor? :D

When these BFC guys say they're designing a game, they aren't just talking about it. Those of us who have been around a while were at "excitement level 10" (waiting for the first patch) over a year ago. :D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe he came over from the CMC forum (in which case, welcome!), and if so, his sketicism is understandable. For quite a while, the forum admins there claimed the product was alive and well, despite much evidence to the contrary. What a shame too, it would have been a great game, and great timing (if it had been here a year ago).

"The control scheme still needs a bit of work, particularly with selecting and commanding large groups of units"

Not a good sign. Considering the past "non improvements" over several iterations with the CMx1 games this concerns me to no end. I will go on record here saying the interface will be less than functional, especially in real time mode. Probably zero or minimal remapping functionality as well (experienced guess).

Sorry, I really do love what they are trying to do around here but if the interface sucks I cant get excited about a game.

glhf,

V