When should we start refreshing for 1.04

thewood

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Charlie901:

I'd really like to see waypoint ends/points become somewhat movable like in CMx1.

I hate laying a WP and not being able to adjust it without deleting it entirely. :rolleyes:

It's on my "want to add if possible list"

[ September 28, 2007, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

Originally posted by Manx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

SlapHappy,

LOS is determined by the Action Spot (8m x 8m spot) a Team occupies. A Team will always occupy only one Action Spot, so therefore for LOS it doesn't matter where the individuals are, they all have LOS to the target. LOF, on the other hand, is traced individually. Soldiers do try to position themselves so they have clear LOF, but when they don't the game mechanics are a little liberal with LOF.

Think of it as a much less abstracted CMx1 system, but with some abstraction remaining. Not every bump and piece of cover is simulated in 1:1 detail, though a lot more of it than in CMx1 (of course). So we still have to be a little understanding of this fact to keep things balanced.

In short.. do not worry about individual positions as much as you currently feel you need to be. Also keep in mind that there are some bugs in v1.03 that might be making things look worse than they should be (firing through walls, through berms, etc. should be far less likely in v1.04).

Steve

Hi Steve,

I opened a thread in the Stategy & Tactics forum about this called "Laying down fire and squad formations". So, if only 2 out of say 9 guys are actually engaging in combat (i.e firing back) what are the others doing? Is their inactivity abstracted and not what we actually seeing? </font>

Originally posted by Huntarr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Charlie901:

I'd really like to see waypoint ends/points become somewhat movable like in CMx1.

I hate laying a WP and not being able to adjust it without deleting it entirely. :rolleyes:

It's on the "want to add if possible list" </font>

If tests are still running on 1.04, perhaps someone could take a look at the ability of tree crowns to block LOS.

Spotting from the left hill in 'Paradise Road' I got the impression that I could draw a LOS through the treetops of several trees to the ground beneath.

Did not seem to be right, or, at least, not WYSIWYG!

Best regards,

Thomm

How often does Charles post in the forum?

(not so much right?)

When he does post:

posted September 28, 2007 01:56 PM

Two quick points, guys:

1. I can't say for certain, but I think that much of what is being attributed to LOS/LOF problems (e.g. he can see me but I can't see him) was really due to some bugs in the TacAI where your soldiers could shoot back but chose not to. For example I recently fixed a bug where soldiers would try too hard to conserve ammo when they really shouldn't. That sort of thing. You'll see an improvement in v1.04.

2. v1.04 is coming very soon.

--------------------

Charles

That might give you a hint that he is not coding and has ?maybe? handed ?something? ;) off to some other party to test or prepare to be released into the wild?

maybe?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

SlapHappy,

LOS is determined by the Action Spot (8m x 8m spot) a Team occupies. A Team will always occupy only one Action Spot, so therefore for LOS it doesn't matter where the individuals are, they all have LOS to the target. LOF, on the other hand, is traced individually. Soldiers do try to position themselves so they have clear LOF, but when they don't the game mechanics are a little liberal with LOF.

Steve,

This LOS abstraction may cause some significant problems when taking a squad around a corner. If I understand correctly, when the center of the squad switches from the hidden action spot behind the corner to the visible action spot around the corner, 4-5 guys will suddenly be exposed in LOS of the enemy without warning. Will some sort of work-around for this be possible?

Another question:

Will the Paradox version and the BF version ever be reconciled? I am assuming that it is related to disk security but could the paradox version get a one time patch to bring it in line with BF's version?

It would be nice for all copies to be on the same page when a patch is released.