New video released?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Great animation on the Stryker movement. Noticed some pathfinding problem for the infantry moving up the street. Not too bad, though. Not sure if that kind of thing can ever be corrected in an RTS environment. Likely to be frustrating for players, though not to the extent sit and spin CC tanks were.

Oh, and the soldiers look like they're retaining water in their lower extremities. tongue.gif

Looks great! When can we play?

BTW, isn't this one of those things that Battlefront toolbar was supposed to tell us about? ;) I didn't see anything on my RSS feed reader either.

The visuals are amazing, this game is just going to be so great. I just hope the campaign missions aren't all impossible like the TOW ones.

It just gets better and better!

The simulated but abstracted stairwells shown in the video are a VERY cool feature IMHO. I was wondering how BFC would handle stairs and I think they've done it beautifully. If fire between floors is handled in the same way, i.e. using LOS up and down virtual stairwells, it will be a big improvement over CMx1.

I can see this game being a big success on a par with games like "Battlefield 2 Modern Combat". Get the Brits in as well in a follow-on module and it will be a massive success over here in the UK. We Brits love our military and are a bit fed up of always having to play the Yanks. :D

Excellent!!!

The infantry part looks ready and playable, graphics wise. T

The shadow algo seems to have been corrected (no see-saw patterns any more). There is a "bug" at 00:49, where the right side of the bunker entrance wall does not throw a shadow.

Best regards,

Thomm

Hi guys,

I have just put in the RSS feeds and updated the news this morning. It was too late yesterday. There are actually two videos that have been released, the action one, and another one showing the artillery panel. Look at the blog for some more details about the second.

Martin

I'm extremely impressed.

Although without any story background and although i'm a German-only player, there's already a feeling of being involved.

The TacAI seems to be the best BY FAR, that was ever made. How each pixel soldier tries to use cover when moving is very impressive.

Extremely impressive, how groups seem to act as groups and not as individual objects.

The Stryker animation with the suspension is very nice, too.

If the game-interface/gameplay holds, what graphics and TacAI seem to offer, this should become a huge success.

The funny thing is that I found the news about that video again on Gamestar.de, the website of Germany's biggest gaming mag. This is now the 3rd or 4th news item those guys released about CM:SF in quite a short time. That's some rather unusual attention of a mainstream mag for such a niche product. I can only suspect the BFC guys emailed them a pic of Madmatt in his Saturday Night outfit, telling them to start writing about their game pronto or be on the recieving end of a personal presentation by the consiglieri... talk about an offer they couldn't resist.

:D

Looks like a nice simple quick arty interface - I am most impressed. Getting all the details in while not making it a bind to use has to be a bit of a challenge. A couple of questions;

Did you draw a region on the map as the target area - it was a bit hard to tell what was happening there.

Are the collapsed building graphics final or is there going to be more in the way of wreckage remaining. I can understand why you would just collapse the building all in one go - PCs have their limitations but the lack of rubble doesn't look too good.

Originally posted by Caesar:

Did you draw a region on the map as the target area - it was a bit hard to tell what was happening there.

From the blog entry:

"3. Now the player is guided through the selection of several parameters for the support mission he's requesting. The first option is "Target", where he can select the type of target he wishes to call. Options include Point Target, Area Target and Line Target, in accordance with the most common military options.

4. We select Line and draw the line on the map, intending to target the first row of buildings in the background."

The arty video is very interesting, I really like the much more refined system. But I also thought the buildings totally collapsing after a hit looked a bit weird.

BTW Did you guys notice the trees? ;)

[ April 26, 2007, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Buildings can also partially collaps, you can have just the roof and/or top floor gone, or some blown out walls etc. There is a physics engine at work although of course it's very much simplified and should not be used for any real engineering projects ;)

Those are some big gunz used in that video which is probably why they collaps on one hit. However, this is an area also which is being tweaked still. I know that building damage was toned down in a later build.

Martin

As for setting targets - what I did in the video was to draw a line target. You click twice on the map to set the start and end points. For point targets you click once, and for area targets you set the center of the target circle, and then click again to set the radius.

The different colored lines you see in the video around the middile show different types of suppport called - green for arty, blue for air I think. Air support is using the same panel and procedures but has different options.

Martin

Originally posted by RMC:

... Great animation on the Stryker movement. ...

I was just going to say that.

I was wondering how the AI decided when the troopers should pass left or right of the Stryker. Is that done at random or is for example a danger factor included as well?

Mies