CMBB Modelling contest - Official Thread

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KwazyDog,

I hope for all our sakes that you long since put the word out about the contest to all the I.P.M.S. chapters. If not, it seems to me that you're missing out on who knows how many potentially usable for skin models.

I just sent another message about the contest to the webmistress@thewarroom.com, since no one acknowledged the first one I sent. The War Room is a huge game and model shop and hosts the local model club. I also did a bit of digging and found this site covering one of the model contests the Northmen (my Atlanta, Georgia model club) hosted.

Just hit the Armor button, find the category you want, and enjoy the feast! Link follows.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4762/2events.html

If you have any questions, E-mail Paul Cotcher. His particulars are at the bottom of the page. He took the pictures and knows me.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 27, 2002, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Hi Guys smile.gif

John, just so you know we actually sent out about 150 emails to various groups letting them know about the comp. smile.gif The response from non CM modellers has been slow, but steady. We are looking to extend the competition in the hope to capture a little more of the modelling crowd, so keep your fingers crossed!

Dan

[ February 26, 2002, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

KwazyDog,

Good to know! Had no idea whom you'd notified, given your doubtless immense workload. Will personally post deadline extension on AFV NEWS site

and E-mail new deadline to Brookhurst Hobbies and the War Room for you.

For an amazing paint scheme, check out the one on the Hornisse in Kubinka. There should be a link from Valera Potapov's Russian Battlefield.

Regards,

John Kettler

Heya Guys,

Hehe, we as youve seen the comp was extended! This was mainly due to popular demand as our comp clashed with some others, so lets how we get some more great entries. So far the response has been huge, though we are still hoping for some textures for the more rare vehicles out there.

Just so you know guys, the extension to the comp hasnt changed our 'internal' expected release date at all, it should just hopefully net us some more great textures smile.gif

John, thanks for all of the hard work! Hehe, George has already helped us out a lot, so Im sure he will be happy post up the info smile.gif

Dan

KwazyDog,

You're welcome! George replied to me and was evidently concerned I might be some sort of corporate security breach, hence didn't want to post it himself. I assured him I wasn't a tech spy

and was proceeeding with your blessings.

I finally got the site to load properly and just posted the contest extension at AFV News myself, being sure to point out I worked neither for Missing-Lynx.com nor Battlefront.com. I specifically emphasized the need for the rarer vehicles.

Does the contest apply to things like softskins and artillery (AA,AT, field), especially if the latter has camouflage paint? I'd think you could use some help there as well.

Regards,

John Kettler

PS

Did you like the Atlanta Model Exhibition photos?

KwazyDog,

One of the basic vehicle appearance option defaults ought to be mud, as shown in the appropriate Squadron/Signal Panzer Colors. This is what the Germans first did to tone down the standard Panzer Grey paint schemes. As I recall, application was by

coarse brush or broom, much like many of the winter whitewash jobs.

Regards,

John Kettler

Heya Guys!

Fytinghellfish, I think we've got the bulk of vehicles covered now, but we could really do with some more Russian vehicles like the T-26 for variety. Anyone you can talk into entering the como though would be very much appreciated smile.gif

John, thanks for passing the info on! Yes, we will basically accept anything into the comp that may be of use, inclusing soft skinned vehicles and guns. It all helps!

We probably will do a couple of mud covered vehicles. Im not sure how common it was off of the top of my head, but I can certainally imagine it was reasonably common (anything would be better than dark grey!). If we dont have the time though, Im sure the modders out there will love to give it a go smile.gif

Thanks guys!

Dan

KwazyDog,

The expanded coverage in the model contest seems to be generating a fair amount of interest on the AFV NEWS site. The last time I checked, nearly 40 people had looked at the announcement. May interest be transformed into model submittals!

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi John

Thanks for all of the trouble, it sounds like we may start getting some fresh entries through! smile.gif

The soft skinned vehicles are actually listed on the competition page, and we have actually been recieving some models for them, which is great. We havnt listed guns though, as its a little hard to judge them against the vehicles (due to the amount of extra work that usually goes into vehicles). If people would like to enter them though, we certainally will take them into consideration.

Thanks again John!

Dan

Status update re: me models et al

My vehicles have been photographed by a friend and i amwaiting to get the prints and photo cd made........so you may have some mail in the post Dan ;) .

He took shots of my Pz Grey Pz II F , Dark Yellow SdKfz 140/1 , Dark Yellow / Green Grille "H" 150mm SPG , and ones of his Dark Yellow/ red Brown Pz II F , tri colour sdKfz 251/22.

The SdKfz FLAK 140 is being painted ( dark Yelow ) at this moment..hope to have it by the end of the month

Today arrived my models of the 1/35 sclae Alan Hobbies Sdkfz 138 M - "Grille" ..similar to the vehicle above except it has a rear fighting compartment.

So i got to get cracking with glue and paint smile.gif :eek:

Regards

MÃ¥kjager

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you all know about this, posted in our news section smile.gif

The Quarter-Kit Model Shop (www.quarter-kit.com), offering a complete range of miniatures: kits and pre-built and painted models made with resin, white metal or die-cast, is now sponsoring the Missing Links & Battlefront.com WWII Vehicle Modeling Contest by submitting 30 exclusive model shots for Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin! Thanks to Quarter-Kit for their support! Be sure to check out their webpage to see some of their great kits and minatures.

They are being a good help to us guys, so please check out their site to see if they have anything you are interested in smile.gif

Dan

PS : Looking forward to them MÃ¥kjager! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, then back to mid term preparations: my supplier could not locate the ZIS-30 model. I just got notification in the mail yesterday. I may finish my T34s over spring break, but that'll be the only additional inputs I'll be adding to the contest.

Cheers

Eric

Originally posted by MÃ¥kjager:

One dunkelgelb SdKzf 138/1 M "Grille" near complete.

regards

MÃ¥kjager

Hey, MÃ¥kjager, are you making the Dragon or the Kirin version? If it's Kirin, I'd be interested in knowing the skinny on the kit. I have the Dragon (not for the contest though) and it looks pretty good. I think the Dragon kit is based off the Kirin kit but I wanted to know the differences. Thanks!

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I think the Dragon kit is based off the Kirin kit but I wanted to know the differences. Thanks!

And you'd be right.

The Kirin and Dragon kit are the same thing (Kirin actually is a Dragon offshoot). The only difference b/w kits is that the Dragon kit includes crew figures.

Mace