CMBB Modelling contest - Official Thread

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diceman,

Your models look fantastic, and I'd like to see more if you have them. One suggestion: use some sort of decal setting solution. I can see the decal section standing out quite clearly. Do you use a matte finish? That would help too. I'd love it if they used your models in CMBB,

ianc

Looking forward to them guys!

Flammenwerfer, your choice there. smile.gif Put them on in both if you like, as its easy for me to work on them from there.

Most Russian vehicles will be in their standard green as they really didnt use camo all that often. In fact, they didnt use it at all after 42. I have a couple of interesting books here just on the subject of Russian camo paint smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Most Russian vehicles will be in their standard green as they really didnt use camo all that often. In fact, they didnt use it at all after 42. I have a couple of interesting books here just on the subject of Russian camo paint smile.gif

Dan

Dan,

According to "The Eastern Front" by Zaloga and Grandsen, most of 5th Guards Tank Corps was pattern-painted with brown swaths before the 1943 fighting around Kursk. Do your sources dispute that? Just curious, because I was already laying out my set of "Kursk" mods. smile.gif

Gordon

Doh...typo, your right Gordon smile.gif

I have it listed here as mid-'43. A very interesting book on Russian camo is Soviet Camoflague from 1931 to 1935. I have a lot of faith in its accuracy as its a Russian publication, though it has an English translation available.

What is very interesting is that it has the origional documents as to how the camoflague was supposed to be applied, which were supposed to be followed to the letter, and when they should be used. Winter camo was far more common that summer as this was left up to the troops, but camo in summer was up to the commander more than the tankers. If you remind me once we finish up CMBB Gordon Ill scan it up for you smile.gif

The bottom line is that it was rarely used, but was used a lot in certain areas (for identification as much as anything) in certain battles. The reason i decided not to use it in CMBB is that it was so rare, as mentioned, but also becuase most vehicles would be used outside of when the camo should be applied to them, if you know what I mean.

That doesnt mean Im looking forward to seeing some mods though, they should look great! smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by ianc:

Diceman,

Your models look fantastic, and I'd like to see more if you have them. One suggestion: use some sort of decal setting solution. I can see the decal section standing out quite clearly. Do you use a matte finish? That would help too. I'd love it if they used your models in CMBB,

ianc

With the exception of the Tiger II (i'm still waiting for Dullcoat to come in the mail) the decals were applied with Micro Set, and dull coated. The problem is the uneven surface caused by zimmeriting the tanks. I couldn't get the decals to lay flat, so I thought I'd see if the dullcoat would do it's work in spite of that. Under ordinary light the decals don't look bad, but under bright light, and camera flash, the reflection of the underlying surface shows off the decals. I really need to get my hands on some stencils and redo them, but I'm afraid they're impossible to remove now. Live and learn.

BTW the Ferdinand is finished. I'm giving up on the idea of borrowing a digital cammera and will be shooting them using slide film today.

Note to self for future model building projects:

gluing hundreds of really small individual track links is really, really boring!! redface.gif Next time, stick with bigger tanks- naturally they will have bigger tracks....

The T-60 is coming along on schedule, and should be ready by February 28th (if not earlier). The body and turret are complete. Now, all I have to do is connect all those tiny little track links, and mount the running gear and tracks. The T-70 will be in the hobby shop early next week.

KwazyDog- given a choice which would you rather have as a model: the T-70 or the T-70M? I think the hobby shop will be getting in both, and I really don't know the structural difference between the two.

Originally posted by Zitadelle:

Note to self for future model building projects:

gluing hundreds of really small individual track links is really, really boring!! redface.gif

I have a love/hate relationship with individual track links. I hate the enormous amount of time they consume, and the tediousness of cleaning and assembling them, but I love the way they look compared to vinyl tracks.

Yes, I definitely agree- individual track links are the way to go! The result is far better and more detailed than the vinyl tracks, and paint sticks to the plastic better than the vinyl (I always had trouble with cracking paint on vinyl). So, I will always use the individual links- or a combination of individual links and strips.

However, let me tell you about T-60/T-70 links (yes they are in the same). These things are tiny- I have never worked with links this small! Ughh! they are a pain, but I will glue all 168 for each vehicle together (over 330!).

:D

Zitadelle, Id actually be interested to see the T-70M, as I had only a very poor blueprint of that one, but please do which ever one you prefer as I can make both models from the one texture smile.gif

Thanks again for all of the input guys!

Dan

[ February 09, 2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Hey, I had to go to page four to find this thing!

Well I started to go about the task of photopraphing these models, not without a bit of complaining, when my wife suddenly caves in to the idea of getting a digital camera. Won it on e-bay Sunday, got it today. Of course, I imediately put it to work.

The following are in the mail:

Panther A late, Tamiya

PZIIIL, Tamiya

JSII Early, DML

Tiger 1 Late, Tamiya

Tiger 2 Late, Tamiya

Ferdinand, DML.

If all is not well, please let me know.

Thanks

Eric

KwazyDog- ask and ye' shall receive....

Last night I purchased the T-70M from the local hobby shop. I also purchased a turned aluminium 45mm gun barrel. (Thanks to Grandad's Hobbies in Springfield, Virginia for getting it in quickly). I will keep KD apprised of the progress with the T-70M (I am thinking that it might not be done by February 28th, but it will be done sometime in March). The T-60 will be done by Feb. 28th, however.

So, I now have even more damnable little tiny ZIS-5 track links to glue together.

O.K. here they are. I created another quick web page to show these inputs. They should show up without monkeying around with links now.

SmallFerdinandl.JPG

SmallJSII.JPG

SmallPantherlJPG.jpg

SmallPZIIIL.JPG

Smalltiger1.JPG

Smalltiger2.JPG

That's it for now. I'll be finishing up my PzKpfw 38T, T34/76, and T34/85 in the next couple of weeks.

How's everyone else coming along? I'd love to see the pics. smile.gif

[ February 14, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Diceman ]

Heya Guys smile.gif

Diceman, all recieved fine as I mentioned in the email. They look great, too! The shots above dont seem to be working at the moment though?

One eye, check out this link below...

http://www.battlefront.com/Model_Contest/Model_contest.html

Zitadelle, Im looking forward to seeing it smile.gif Thanks for all of the great work, it will help out very much!

Thanks guys!

Dan

[ February 13, 2002, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Heya Guys smile.gif

Diceman, all recieved fine as I mentioned in the email. They look great, too! The shots above dont seem to be working at the moment though?...

Thanks guys!

Dan

That should of fixed the problem. smile.gif

Cheers

Eric

[ February 14, 2002, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Diceman ]

Diceman those are some excellent heavies! Good show, chap!

I have now built my:

Sdkfz 10/5

Sdkfz 222

Late Hummel

Pz 35-S

BT-7

And am now entering the painting stage. Hope to have them to you on the 24th Dan. That is when my mother-in-law gets here with her fancy digi-cam.

Hey Dan, anything you want to bring up as a "Last call" or "most wanted" list? Just curious how things are stacking up...

[ February 13, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Diceman those are some excellent heavies! Good show, chap!

Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. I have much more determination and perseverance than talent, but I think I can feel good about these models, and I must confess I enjoy sharing my work. If you look at the photos from an oldest to latest point of view, I think you can see a definite defining, and improvement of style, and technique. In order of creation: PZIII, JSII, Tiger 1, Panther, Tiger II, Ferdinand.

Cheers

Eric