CMBB Modelling contest - Official Thread

Uh oh...im my post i dont think i was clear enough..... its the 15cm sIG 33(Sfl) auf PzKpfw Ausf.M ( Sdkfz 138/1) made by Alan Hobbies .with the rear fighting compartment...engine to the front...just like the Marder III in CMBO but with the 150mm sIG 33 artillery piece

Kit wise i am impressed by it..only two minor niggles....an ammo holder has to be sanded/removed to get the gun mount to fit properly...and the tracklinks are poo poo.( also if you try touse the drive sprocket with the supplied links..well test fit first as the sprocket space is wider than the links)

Just as well i had a set of Fruillmodelismo metal tracklinks for the scratch build version i was making...they fit the kit very well.. smile.gif

back to the mines :D

Regards

Måkjager

Regards

Måkjager

[ March 18, 2002, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grille is fully assembled , undergoing final weathering / washes. Track links worked out ok smile.gif

My bud has finished making and painting his Flakpanzer 38(t) M ( Sdkfz 140 ) , finished in a bi green / darkyelow cammo scheme smile.gif

Pix to be taken by the end of the week smile.gif i hope

phew

Regards

Måkjager

KwazyDog-

After all those little track links, I am nearly done with the T-60 and T-70M. I am applying the last coats of paint, washes, and drybrushing. I hope you are still in need of the two views for CMBB. Tomorrow, I expect to take digital photos of both and send them onward.

*.BMP

I am curious about the secret behind these 3D images. Yesterday I sent off a few images in a *.JPG format. Each view ranged from 650K to nearly a meg. Out of curiousity, I re-opened one of the files and saved it in *.BMP format, and the file size was 9Mb! I take it that the developers must have some secret for file compression and the 3D models while maintaining excellent graphics.

[Don't feel that you need to give away any of your technical (and surely patented) secrets....]

Hi Guys!

Zitadelle, my apologies, you questions must have slipped off of the page before I noticed it when you posted it origionally.

Hehe, the worst part of it is that Im not sure what you are asking smile.gif ? CM using BMP files for its textures. I believe that some texture compression does take place, but Im not quite sure of the details behind it to be honest.

Paul, that link doesnt work for me unfortunately, though I did recieve your CD yesterday. Great work! smile.gif

Dan

[ March 29, 2002, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Dan...the pix link is only of a shot of the Grille i had already sent to you. Glad to hear that you got the 1st CD...second is winging its way to you with the Grille and the 38t FlakPanzer.

Glad you were able to see and like the pix Jester...i hadnt made a model in 5 years ( mental block ) then along came the "CALL" and hey presto...3 models in 2 months smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager.

Dan :re the link...i am using Apples iDisk as a host..i have heard there is a problem or two with it sometimes....no matter and no worries.

mb this will work

web page

[ March 29, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

Nice looking model, Måkjager. A bit too clean for some tastes, I suppose, but fine by me! I wonder if your camera lens could be set to provide a bit more depth of field though. That would give a more lifelike image.

I especially liked the rust on the exhaust pipe. The metal track links sag in a much more realistic fashion than plastic ones do, BTW. Good work.

Michael

[ March 29, 2002, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Måkjager:

Dan...the pix link is only of a shot of the Grille i had already sent to you. Glad to hear that you got the 1st CD...second is winging its way to you with the Grille and the 38t FlakPanzer.

Glad you were able to see and like the pix Jester...i hadnt made a model in 5 years ( mental block ) then along came the "CALL" and hey presto...3 models in 2 months smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager.

Dan :re the link...i am using Apples iDisk as a host..i have heard there is a problem or two with it sometimes....no matter and no worries.

mb this will work

web page

Hey!

this is COOL and it really works

sorry Way OFF topic but this Apple iTools web page was REAL easy to build like it took all of ten minutes

to post these shots of Tom's Bulge mod:

http://homepage.mac.com/tcw/PhotoAlbum2.html

TOTALLY cool!

-tom w

web page

I have added some more models to the page.

The yellow / brown Pz II , 251/22 HT and the Flakpanzer are my bud Ritchie Keanes ..the others are mine.

Michael...regarding the "clean-ish" look on the model..i painted it that way so as if the model makes it into CMBB dirt can be added to it...i wanted the detail to be seen ..which can always be mucked up later if so desired smile.gif

regards

Måkjager

[ March 30, 2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

Originally posted by Måkjager:

Michael...regarding the "clean-ish" look on the model..i painted it that way so as if the model makes it into CMBB dirt can be added to it...i wanted the detail to be seen ..which can always be mucked up later if so desired smile.gif

Good plan! smile.gif

Michael

Måkjager those were some beautiful models. Tell your friend that 251/22 model is SWEET!

Also I asked Kwazydog about weathering and he basically said the same as Måkjager, that he prefers them newly minted.

Also, Kwazy if I can get my old non-automatic 35mm to work you will get one last surprise from me today: a Stug IIIf with ostketten in winter white and a Marder II with 7.5cm PAK 40 in winter-white.

I hope you release some type of "photo-album" or something that shows ALL the vehicles submitted, even the ones not chosen. I would love to see something like that.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I hope you release some type of "photo-album" or something that shows ALL the vehicles submitted, even the ones not chosen. I would love to see something like that.

I agree. It'd be nice to see everything that was submitted (so at least I can get some modelling ideas ;) )

Mace

[ March 30, 2002, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Mace ]

Whew, the camera and scanner combo worked! Here is my last bit for CMBB. THe picctures were taken with a manual 35mm with a 30mm lens, indoors with incandescent lights. Photos developed courtesy of Wal-Mart 1 hr photo and scanned in just now at 600 dpi. These photos were optimized for web-viewing, so I hope they are small enough for everyone.

THe first is a StgIIIf w/ ostketten in winter white. It was one of my favorite models to build so far.

THe second was an old Tamiya Marder II that I got for $9 at Hobby Lobby and figured What the Heck! Painted also in white (I was on a roll!)

THe third one is the second model I ever built: a 234/1 painted by hand and knocked around quite a bit by my kids who love anything with wheels that really turn. I have since been using to test paints and new techniques, but I still like the old thing.

StugIIIf-left.jpg

MarderII-Left.jpg

SPW-234-1-Left.jpg

Hope you like them. I will be shooting them off to Kwazy in the next 23 hrs. :eek:

Good show PL with your models...i have to say the 234/1 looks good for a kit that has been knocked around smile.gif

Did you use the Dragon Models Ostketten tracks on the Stug ??

I will pass on your congrats to my bud smile.gif He has won a couple of medals at Euro Militare for his AFVs....scratch build some unusual stuff...has a Soviet Inter war year A/C with tracks in a nice winter scheme.

I think the Album idea is good too...share ideas and grow smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

Well, I guess the contest is officially over! SO, anybody out there got any models they haven't finished yet? Let's hear a tally.

Me, I bought a BT-5 and T26 that I didn't finish (or start). Being a panzer-holic, the BT-7 I did really tapped me out on non-German tanks.

Of course, I've also got a shelf full of other unstarted/unfinished kits, but those are for that "rainy day" that never seems to get here. smile.gif

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Of course, I've also got a shelf full of other unstarted/unfinished kits, but those are for that "rainy day" that never seems to get here. smile.gif

Just finished the BM3 100mm Soviet Field gun (just need to hit it with some pastels for weathering). However, I just started my holidays and haven't got access to a camera until my return to work, so no happy snaps of that one yet.

Also been fiddling with the photoetch for the Tamiya KV2 I'm currently working on.

Never even started the French tank I was supposed to contribute (I can keep that for CM4 ;) )

Mace

PS Saw the instructions for Dragon's new 1/35 Panther Ausf A (early).

Full color instructions - very nice smile.gif

Mace

PzLd.....God be with the days when i "only" had a shelf ful of unmade kits. It is with terror that i try to go asleep at night with the thought of an attic full of said same unmade kits!!!!

So.....this drinks party....anybody suggest a meeting point somewhere in the world that is kind to hangover ;)

:D

ps...i would still say if you have kits still outstanding ..try make em as BTS "might" be still short .....will just have to wait and hear from Dan.

regards

Måkjager