Next CM game-a napoleonic one?

Originally posted by Duke of Earl:

HistWar 1806 - La Grande Armee Series

However, I don't know if it will ever equal the complexity or popularity of CMBO or CMBB... but time will tell... after all.. it's only a very small project for right now...

Très interessant. Still, it looks basically like a Total War Series game. The tactical deepness looks underdeveloped... but you never know. I will have an eye on this.

I would like to see a nice WW I game, but nothing is aroud (1914-18 Great War is crapy). HELP!

Having seen the two current 'mainstream' offering (Waterloo and Austerlitz) I think they offer little advancement over the Talonsoft games of 10 or so years ago. Poor graphics, poor sound, abysmal terrain, crap 'battle rules/formulas', and a dated game engine. In some respects I actually prefer the TS series. You get the impression these two games could be played on a ZX Spectrum!!

Some kind of combination of the Total War series units/terran combined with wego and the more sophisticated rules system of cm would be excellent. Not sure how easy it would be to do mind. I like the TW series but the combat resolution does get a bit repetitive.

[ November 16, 2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Well of course CM doesn't apply to close order drill, though I suspect the more proper term would be linear warfare. If beleive I've made the point that the engine as it stands would either need serious changes or would not be useful at all.

Unit & combat aspects apart, I think the map/terrain system is just about perfect already (apart from needing larger size limits, perhaps).

I don't know much about the Napoleonic period, apart from the fact he tried to invade Russia (big mistake!).

I agree with Da Beginna that a WWI title using the CM engine, or perhaps the next generation of it, would be a welcome arrival.

The unit sizes would have to be adressed along with formation handling and 'linear warfare', as Joe Shaw said, but other than that my novice eye can see nothing that would interrupt the development of such a project if handled by a suitable dedicated team. Maybe BTS, maybe a third party software development company using the bare-bones engine, maybe even our humble selves (though not me, for my knowledge of computer coding and programming is rivalled only by my knowledge of advanced genetic tailoring - that is, it is non-existent).

Don't see any WW1 games coming along anytime soon. Each side's turn would consist of:

Big artillery barrage by Side A against Side B.

Side A's troops go "over the top" and are cut to pieces in No Man's Land by MG fire. Side A survivors run back to their trenches.

Side B does the same thing. Rinse and repeat.

In a word, borringg..

Now, if they did a 1918 only game, with the Ludendorf Offensives, Allied summer offensive, etc that might be doable. Both sides would have to be given the human wave option for it to work at all, though.

I don't know much about the Napoleonic period, apart from the fact he tried to invade Russia (big mistake!).
Sorry Wretch, but you know one thing less about the Napoleonic wars than you thought you did ;)

Contrary to popular belief Napoleon didn't actually intend to invade Russia. He just wanted to meet up with the Russian army, give it a good thrashing, and force Russia to accept the terms of the 'continental system'

Unfortunately the Russian army kept retreating, and Napoleon kept following it.

Sorry, bit off topic but like I said this is my favourite period of military history :D

Originally posted by Holdit:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Well of course CM doesn't apply to close order drill, though I suspect the more proper term would be linear warfare. If beleive I've made the point that the engine as it stands would either need serious changes or would not be useful at all.

Unit & combat aspects apart, I think the map/terrain system is just about perfect already (apart from needing larger size limits, perhaps).</font>

Let me say that the first time I saw CMBOs ability to create terrain I thought about a Napoleonic game. The main problem with the Talonsoft system was the use of the same maps over and over again.

On WWI, a low level tactical game would be of interest, from the trench raids, recon patrols, snipers, etc.

Hopefully someone (who who who) will develop a nappy simulator at the same scale of CM. There are a number of incidents I would love to "scenario" from the Peninsular campaign

Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

Don't see any WW1 games coming along anytime soon. Each side's turn would consist of:

Big artillery barrage by Side A against Side B.

Ah, but then we'd need more than the present rudimentary artillery model. Now that'd be a nice turn of events.

How about a Post-Second-World-War sim, in Western Europe? Before anti-tank missiles came about, that is. Give people a chance to play about with big truly mature tanks, and proper APCs.

And there could be a "tactical nuclear exchange" option: press go, and three turns later the entire map turns into a giant crater. And just imagine the grogs going on about tripods for Honest Johns.

Cheers,

David

Napoleonic (and ACW) WEGO would be very cool. I'd change the scale a bit - maybe the smallest unit would be a company, and possibly there should be some time compression, at least for some battles. Maybe each movie takes a minute to resolve but represents five minutes of gameplay.

Command delay and unit experience would be *really cool*: will your conscripts form square before the charge arrives?

Bonjour everyone,

Well.. if the CMBO/CMBB engine would not be compatible enough for a linear Napoleonic game...

Then I would like to see a BTS adaptation for SF3D... or 'Maschinen Krieger'... Ma.K.B.D.... as it is now known...

Very similar to Starship Troopers... but with a more gritty, apocalyptic 'retro' look...

Yeah.. that would be great... and still tactical too...

AFS's, SAFS's, PkA's, Jerries, Nutrockers... the works...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

[ November 17, 2002, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Duke of Earl ]

I vote for a Napoleonic, but also a Roman one: think about Punic Wars (First, Second and Third, the latest being quite similar to playing in Berlin 1945), Marius germanic war, Marius-Sila civil war, Gallic War, Caesar-Pompeius civil war, Claudius Britain's invasion, dacian wars, and so on. Maybe the CM is not the best for this (nor the napoleonic), but I hope Battlefront could do a great job smile.gif .

These are all interesting ideas, but Battlefront is unlikely to go in that direction. Their next game will be Italy/North Africa/Balkans, followed by early Western Front, i.e. France 1940, etc. And that will probably be followed by revisiting CMBO and CMBB with a new engine.

Unless they someday allow a third party to make games with the engine, I don't see it happening.

But it's nice to dream though...

Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

These are all interesting ideas, but Battlefront is unlikely to go in that direction. Their next game will be Italy/North Africa/Balkans, followed by early Western Front, i.e. France 1940, etc. And that will probably be followed by revisiting CMBO and CMBB with a new engine.

Unless they someday allow a third party to make games with the engine, I don't see it happening.

But it's nice to dream though...

Napoleonics, ACW, Romans, etc....

Why not all of them?

Why not license the engine for a Napoleonic (etc....) game to those that have the time? I cannot see any reason for BTS to not want to make money.

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Let's face it, the Finns would argue that they had the worlds best ski cavalry and therefore the whole thing should be about How The Lappland Was Won.

Well, you surely woulnd't expect Swedish kings to fight and win with Swedish troops? smile.gif

As I saifd above - IMO using eth CM engine for a "linear warfare" (thanks for het term) game would be nonsense.

However with BTS's service, integrity and all-round (over-fed??!! ;) ) niceness I think anything they published after proper development would be good.

So rather than a 3rd rate Nappy game using the wrong engine why not just them to make a Nappy game with an appropriate engine, whatever that may be and wherever they have to get it from?

Originally posted by Ant:

The Napoleonic era is my favourite period for military history and I've given up hope of a good PC simulation of Napoleonic warfare. There are a couple of games out there that almost make it............but not quite. The best ones that I have played were Talonsoft's 'battleground series' but they are looking very dated now, and after a while it gets really boring fighting the same battle over and over and over again.

In case you were unaware, at www.nir-project.com you can download maps for umpteen different Napoleonic battles. I have Austerlitz, Eylau, Auersdtaedt, Marengo and Montebello so far, and I'm just scratching the surface. I play them with the AH Napoleon's Battle tabeltop rules instead of the BGW engine, though.