Next CM game-a napoleonic one?

Originally posted by energy76:

LOL!

I can just hear the sound files:

Load muskets! Discharge muskets!

Fix bayonets! Charge!

(a new use for the human wave!)

I admit that while at first I thought it a bit absurd, it actually might be kinda cool--slow rates of fire, short ranges, massed musketry, bayonet charges, defensive squares, calvary running amuck. I wonder if we'd get Napolean thru the Civil War? Nifty, bright colored uniforms with plenty of room for the modders, too.

Oh I wish!............ It's not going to happen though.

The Napoleonic era is my favourite period for military history and I've given up hope of a good PC simulation of Napoleonic warfare. There are a couple of games out there that almost make it............but not quite. The best ones that I have played were Talonsoft's 'battleground series' but they are looking very dated now, and after a while it gets really boring fighting the same battle over and over and over again.

Napoleonic warfare is very popular and it's about time some talented individuals got together (rules me out :D ) and did the same thing for napoleonics on the PC that BFC did for WW2.

Unfortunately being a bit of a pessimist I'm not holding my breath.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by energy76:

LOL!

I can just hear the sound files:

Load muskets! Discharge muskets!

Fix bayonets! Charge!

(a new use for the human wave!)

I admit that while at first I thought it a bit absurd, it actually might be kinda cool--slow rates of fire, short ranges, massed musketry, bayonet charges, defensive squares, calvary running amuck. I wonder if we'd get Napolean thru the Civil War? Nifty, bright colored uniforms with plenty of room for the modders, too.</font>

hohohoho....Great idea!To fight one of that bloody battles which eat thousands of men,to fire a 80 guns battery upon some infantry squares charged by cavalry,cuirassiers breaking infantry lines,light cavalry in pursuit.Nice also to have the reserve columns falling on the enemy rear,the mass column hitting the center of his line etc.

A napoleonic tactical game with a full editor...much awayted by the comunity.

Must admit I think it would be brilliant. Like you say the other offerings in the Napoleonic arena are absolute crap of the highest order (IMHO), despite the so-called advances.

If BTS would do it I'm sure they'd make a bloody fine job of it. The combinations of the complex calculations for battle resolution, wego system and terrain, enough to make tou drool. As for the units, talk about a modders paradise. We can dream I suppose. Still I know a developer in this field had a game that sold 250,000 units plus (and it's crap). So, there might be hope, in the distant future perhaps. The Napolenic freaks would go ballistic for it. I know a few that drool over what we have in the WWII arena now, courtesy of BTS.

You're joking right?

teh CMBB engine would be utterly useless for any game whre teh primary formations are well defined and close order - line, column, square, etc.

Have a look at the Total War games - Medieval and Shogun. they have the engine for Napoleonic (but the execution would need to be a lot better than it has been so far IMO).

Intersting to note that some idjits at the TW boards want WW2 to be the next TW title - ignoring the limitatoins of hte TW system which cannot cope with small groups of widely dispersed fighters!! lol

Originally posted by Mike:

You're joking right?

teh CMBB engine would be utterly useless for any game whre teh primary formations are well defined and close order - line, column, square, etc.

Have a look at the Total War games - Medieval and Shogun. they have the engine for Napoleonic (but the execution would need to be a lot better than it has been so far IMO).

Intersting to note that some idjits at the TW boards want WW2 to be the next TW title - ignoring the limitatoins of hte TW system which cannot cope with small groups of widely dispersed fighters!! lol

The engine, as it stands, would need substantial changes as I mentioned earlier, but I think the consensus is that a form of the WEGO system would be the key and the Total War system is more of an RTS system.

Joe

[QB]You're joking right?

Hmm, I think they when they say CM3, that there would be some changes to the engine smile.gif

So, rather than clicking on this squad of 12 men (represented by 3 figures), you would select this group of say 200 men, which may or may not be represented by a smaller number, and would tell them 'advance to contact' and whatever.

Formation changes, moving in formation etc, would all be new stuff.

The whole principle of 'buying' your men, placement during setup, and the 'order and see what happens' is the style that is so enjoyable, and I wouldnt think anyone was joking wishing BTS made a game in other wars as well smile.gif

cheers

total War IS RTS in it's tactical system - there's nothing "a bit" about it!

Sure a WeGo system might be useful, but I doubt it would have any great advantages over a pausible RTS.

For me Sid Meier's Gettysburg is still a giant in the close-order drill + firearms era and I can't see the CM engine coming anywhere close to it.

WeGo or RTS is, IMO, a trivial consideration compared to how the engine handles the close order drill and formations required for the era, and I don't see the CM engine as having any sort of capability in that regard - I'd bet Navy Rum to jumping beans that handling close order drill wasn't one of parameters in the spec for it!! lol

total War IS RTS in it's tactical system - there's nothing "a bit" about it!

Sure a WeGo system might be useful, but I doubt it would have any great advantages over a pausible RTS.

For me Sid Meier's Gettysburg is still a giant in the close-order drill + firearms era and I can't see the CM engine coming anywhere close to it.

WeGo or RTS is, IMO, a trivial consideration compared to how the engine handles the close order drill and formations required for the era, and I don't see the CM engine as having any sort of capability in that regard - I'd bet Navy Rum to jumping beans that handling close order drill wasn't one of parameters in the spec for it!! lol

Well of course CM doesn't apply to close order drill, though I suspect the more proper term would be linear warfare. If beleive I've made the point that the engine as it stands would either need serious changes or would not be useful at all.

The point I was making was that I'D prefer to see a Napoleonic or ACW game using a WEGO system rather than a RTS system. It's a matter of preference. I played SMG for a long time, and it was a great game, but I prefer WEGO and I think it would be great to see that for Napoleonics ... YMMV.

Joe

Originally posted by Duke of Earl:

Bonjour fellas,

There are some very interesting Napoleonic projects afoot...

HistWar 1806 - La Grande Armee Series

However, I don't know if it will ever equal the complexity or popularity of CMBO or CMBB... but time will tell... after all.. it's only a very small project for right now...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

But, but, but ... it's in FRENCH! How am I supposed to take it seriously if it ain't in ENGLISH! Dadgummed ferriners! :D

Seriously, that LOOKS really good, I'm going to take some time and try to decypher the salient points. Thanks for the link.

Joe

Ahem... If you could coordinate and fine-tune all your units' actions the way you can do it in CM, it wouldn't be much of a Napoleonic game. And I'm not sure if I'd like those 30-minutes turns you'd need to simulate command execution time in the 19th century.

If the sound of smoothbore guns and bright uniforms is what you want, why not go and rent a movie?

Originally posted by Zarquon:

Ahem... If you could coordinate and fine-tune all your units' actions the way you can do it in CM, it wouldn't be much of a Napoleonic game. And I'm not sure if I'd like those 30-minutes turns you'd need to simulate command execution time in the 19th century.

If the sound of smoothbore guns and bright uniforms is what you want, why not go and rent a movie?

If the sound of 150mm artillery and big, ugly tanks are what you want, why not go and rent a movie?

It's all a matter of preference and perspective.

Command delays of 30 minutes would be accurate if you were commanding a division, at the level I'D prefer, in which you might command a regiment that was composed of companies, it would be more reasonable and doable. But as I say, it's a matter of preference and perspective and it's all quite academic at this point.

Joe