Truly bizarre German AFV...

Now that's a tank in the true sense. I guess you could put water in it. :rolleyes: Are we going to get this tank in CMBB? :D Cool site however. Those Russian tanks look so cool. I can hardly wait to get CMBB.

Recce or FO vehicle is the best guess. There was a motorbike engine (BMW???) including saddle in it. It is just an empty shell today (I peeked through the vision slit). A lot of engineers and grogs have visited the Kubinka museum since the cold war ended and they were all dumbfounded when confronted with the Kugelpanzer apparently ;)

damn what a coincidence. My home town is know for antiques and me and my friend were down there looking around and found a popular science magazine from 1936 with a artist's rendering of that same thing except it had 4 machine guns on it....I'll go buy it and scan the pictures.

Kugel was the commander of one of Germany's first penal battalions. Always searching for a good use for his prisoners, he helped design the KugelPanzer.

Inside it looks like a small hamster wheel, with little foot and hand holds around the inside surface. On flat or very gently sloped terrain, the soldier inside provided locomotion much like a hamster on a wheel. While expensive on a per-man basis, the SS were said to look very favorably on the possible uses of the KugelPanzer, both for observation and for exercise.

The small wheel arrangements visible in the photos are shipping casters for movement without the occupant inside.

Unfortunately, the KugelPanzer was found to be at the mercy of the battlefield terrain. On the eastern front, a first operational platoon of KugelPanzers were acting as forward observers for an artillery battalion emplaced on a reverse slope. The night before the large scale Russian attack, some gamey Russina sappers infiltrated the German lines and caught the KugelPanzers unawares. Some hasty shovel work soon had the KugelPanzers rolling backwards down the hill towards their own troops.

Three KugelPanzers steamrolled the very guns they were meant to observe for, one flattened the battalions field kitchen, and a fifth plowed into the ammunition supply dump for the artillery. The resulting explosion decimated the troops of the German artillery, and launched the ill-fated KugelPanzer high into the air, heading towards the Russian lines.

Still glowing red from its explosive encounter, the incoming projectile created awe on the part of the opposing Russian regiments. Fearing that one of the massive German guns like Dora had been brought into action against them, the soviets fell to the ground.

A sickening thud was both heard and felt by all within 200 yards of the impact, and when the gigantic "shell" failed to explode, the Russian troops nearby began to count their blessings. Were they saved? Had the terrible German weapon failed to detonate?

All of the sudden, cries and howls of pain and suffering began to issue from all the nearby Russian troops. Troops began fleeing the area, retching and coughing. Was it a chemical attack? Had the Germans resorted to those awful weapons of the Great War?

Over the next two hours, as some semblence of order was restored in the Russian positions, it became apparent that the impact point had been the regimental Cesspool...

[ May 06, 2002, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I had heard the name somewhere in passing once upon a time, but never seen the beast. I think it may belong in the same category as that critter the Brits came up with to clear mined beaches.

Michael

The Panjandrum.

Originally posted by Affentitten:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I had heard the name somewhere in passing once upon a time, but never seen the beast. I think it may belong in the same category as that critter the Brits came up with to clear mined beaches.

Michael

The Panjandrum.</font>

Is this definately WW2?

I know the French experimented with armoured shields with which to approach German trenches during WW1.These were very heavy and were pushed towards the enemy by the (brave!) operator for recon reasons.They would be pulled back by attached ropes or chains.Unforunately,whilst bullet proof they were not grenade proof and the Germans had no trouble in repulsing them.