Suomi vai englanti? Vain suomalaisille!

Auta meitä tekemään päätös Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlinin

lokalisoinnista. Ole hyvä ja vastaa kysymykseen VAIN jos olet suomalainen.

(This is a poll for our finnish fans only)

[ April 26, 2002, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, let's start some guessing...

a.) Moon is asking if someone would provide him with pictures of finnish females in exchange for a beta copy of CMBB.

b.) Moon is asking if somebody from Finland knows a guy called "Barbarossa" in Berlin.

c.) they're looking for someone to help them with localization for the finnish market.

:D

Nope! We already have dirty pictures of Finnish ladies (thanks ladies!), Moon has a 2nd cousin named Barbarossa, and we already have people lined up to do the localization into all sorts of strange languages (including French! smile.gif ).

The real nature of the question is to ask how many Finns are "über Finns" and if they, or anybody they know, has ever destroyed a T-34 with nothing more than a toothpick and a stick of bubblegum. We are just trying to seperate fact from fiction before we go coding up stuff :D

Steve

[ April 26, 2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]

Answered the poll, chose the last option. I'd say that finnish market isn't too particular about whether the games are localized or not - usually, only manuals are translated from english. Manual in Finnish, as a PDF file (or something like that) on the game disk shouldn't detract too much from the game itself, and would give no headaches when it comes to updating the game itself.

Personally, I'm happy with english manual, english game - but I know that for some people, manual in Finnish would be helpful.

-Lunael

What is the situation for the other Nordic countries? Is the demand too low for a translated version?

I have been wondering a little about the way Finland seems to mentioned the most in relation to CM sales. Is this a reflection of actual sales or "just" a more active market?

CM, UK version I assume, is now available in all game stores in Stockholm but talking to the sales people they, with some exceptions, have no clue what it's all about. Then again, what's new smile.gif

M.

Mattias,

It is not that other countries are LESS important than Finland to us, but that Finland shows a lot of promise for CMBB. As is sales to Finland are higher than Sweden by about 1/3, 3x higher than Norway, and 2x higher than Denmark (my former countrymen smile.gif ). I have seen other reports that show that Finland is one of the highest per capita purchasers of software, so this is more direct evidence of that. Now, couple this to the fact that Finns are apparently CRAZY about their war with the Soviets (both parts) and a localization into Finnish becomes quite interesting for us from a sales standpoint.

Unfortunately, we can not afford to localize and market CM for all languages in the world. Currently the game is in English, German, and French (developed in that order). We are not localizing CMBB into Spanish, even though a huge percentage of people on this Earth speak it and no other language. Problem is that they don't buy tons of software, so an expensive localization effort would be largely wasted in that direction. Italian is another possibility, but we think Finland holds out better prospects (oddly enough!). So if we are to expand our localized efforts, Finnish appears to be the next logical choice to make.

Steve

Originally posted by Juha Keratar:

Answered the poll, chose the last option. I'd say that finnish market isn't too particular about whether the games are localized or not - usually, only manuals are translated from english. Manual in Finnish, as a PDF file (or something like that) on the game disk shouldn't detract too much from the game itself, and would give no headaches when it comes to updating the game itself.

Personally, I'm happy with english manual, english game - but I know that for some people, manual in Finnish would be helpful.

-Lunael

There was one option missiong: English game, manual both in Finnish and English

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Mattias,

It is not that other countries are LESS important than Finland to us, but that Finland shows a lot of promise for CMBB. As is sales to Finland are higher than Sweden by about 1/3, 3x higher than Norway, and 2x higher than Denmark (my former countrymen smile.gif ). I have seen other reports that show that Finland is one of the highest per capita purchasers of software, so this is more direct evidence of that. Now, couple this to the fact that Finns are apparently CRAZY about their war with the Soviets (both parts) and a localization into Finnish becomes quite interesting for us from a sales standpoint.

Unfortunately, we can not afford to localize and market CM for all languages in the world. Currently the game is in English, German, and French (developed in that order). We are not localizing CMBB into Spanish, even though a huge percentage of people on this Earth speak it and no other language. Problem is that they don't buy tons of software, so an expensive localization effort would be largely wasted in that direction. Italian is another possibility, but we think Finland holds out better prospects (oddly enough!). So if we are to expand our localized efforts, Finnish appears to be the next logical choice to make.

Steve

It would be interesting, purely for interest's sake to see a breakdown of the sales for CMBO, country/region, Steve. Doesn't have to be absolute numbers, percentages or even just a ranking, would be fine. I'd just be interested to see which countries are interested in this sort of game.

I answered honestly to the poll: I'd prefer English language both in the game and in the manual. Also, I'm sure most gamers in Finland are quite fluent in English, because most of them are young (have been taught English) and/or have been playing games in English (because there are practically no good games in Finnish).

So, a Finnish version of the game would primarily target older people who are new to gaming. I myself would assume that this would be a pretty small market. But that's just my hunch.

Hehe, Steve forgot the soon-to-be-released Polish and Czech versions of CMBO smile.gif Conquering the world smile.gif

Tero - that option (english game, english and finnish manual) was not given because it wouldn't make sense from a financial point of view. Manuals are what is mose expensive in production, so offering two printed manuals simply is not possible, unless we raise the price.

Juu kiitos ajatuksesta.

No, I dont think we need localized version of the game, I for one would like to play the english version. The localized versions here in Finland ( so far atleast ) havent been that good anyway. Besides I think its the same thing with the games as movies: in Germany and in many other European country they sub the voices, but in Finland we are used to the subtitles. Taking away the original language is considered more like a minus than addition.

Every CM fan I know ( and people who'd be intrested in this game ) will know their english well enough to play the english version. Usually only 'kiddies games' are given the full localization and that hasnt hurt the sales of the more 'mature' games.

Sorry about the rambling post, have been drinking FREE BEER all day =)

Originally posted by Moon:

Tero - that option (english game, english and finnish manual) was not given because it wouldn't make sense from a financial point of view. Manuals are what is mose expensive in production, so offering two printed manuals simply is not possible, unless we raise the price.

How much would it cost to have either of them (IMO the Finnish) as a PDF on the disk and the other (the English) as printed matter ? smile.gif

Ham,

No, I dont think we need localized version of the game, I for one would like to play the english version. The localized versions here in Finland ( so far atleast ) havent been that good anyway.
But what if the translation was excellent? That is the only kind of translations we do smile.gif

Besides I think its the same thing with the games as movies: in Germany and in many other European country they sub the voices, but in Finland we are used to the subtitles. Taking away the original language is considered more like a minus than addition.
All the voices in the game remain the same no matter what language they are in. What would be different is all printed words. Scenario briefings, game messages, interface, and the manual would be in Finnish. Unlike a dubbed movie there would be no loss to have things translated.

Every CM fan I know ( and people who'd be intrested in this game ) will know their english well enough to play the english version. Usually only 'kiddies games' are given the full localization and that hasnt hurt the sales of the more 'mature' games.
OK, good information

Tero, a PDF is one option. However, there is a substantial cost to translate the manual and game elements. So if no Finn really cares about it we just assume skip the expense of both translation and printing.

Steve

Originally posted by Traject0ry:

"If english was good enough for Jesus it is good enough for me."

Nii 'tana, 'kele...

-T :D

Actually that 'kele' should have some big R's like 'peRRRRRkele', a word that is origininally lithuanian 'Perkunas'.

The only reason why I would like to see finnish localization of CMBB is to have some good time with the obvious translation errors (deserter == comes from the desert (from Gladiator), air cover == umbrella, etc...).

Regards,

Seppo

"Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen"

-- Heinz Guderian.