I Think It's Time to Give Up on 22 June

Ten days to go and no "gold" announcement. It would be a major surprise at this point if CMBB made it by then. With no release information whatsoever coming out of the guys at the top, it leaves the true release date completely to conjecture.

But at least they could offer the kindness of indicating when it will NOT be released. Will CMBB be released in the month of June? Any chance at all of that happening?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't recall anyone from Battlefront ever suggesting a particular date. So I'm not sure it's really fair to hold them accountable for dispelling your wishful thinking.

I couldn't help but notice that there are fifteen winners for the modelling contest. If I understand what that means (and there is no guarantee that I do), then those are fifteen vehicles that the graphics gnomes haven't even started to make yet. I don't know what their production cycle is like, but I suspect the results of that contest represent a solid month of work yet to be done. And that doesn't even take into account all the other odds and ends that will have to be attended to.

So next time you see a gnome, buy him a lite beer and send him back to work.

Originally posted by Philippe:

I couldn't help but notice that there are fifteen winners for the modelling contest. If I understand what that means (and there is no guarantee that I do), then those are fifteen vehicles that the graphics gnomes haven't even started to make yet.

Not meaning to give fresh life to false hopes, but the announcement of the winners explicitly stated that not all of those models would be used in the game. On the other hand, many that were not winners will be used.

Michael

I think that's part of my original point; that the guys in charge have not set a date at all, and that seems to indicate that it is a ways off yet.

I am buying other games on the assumption that CMBB won't be released for another 6-8 weeks, if not longer. I would re-arrange my gaming budget if I knew otherwise, but they've made it clear that they're sticking to their no information until gold policy.

They have had the model photos in hand for a long time, Phillipe, so your logic doesn't seem to make sense. They could have been working with those photos for weeks now, could they not have? Saying they "will" be included in the game in no way implies that the artwork is not yet finished.

It'll be ready when its ready....

Originally posted by lcm1947:

I'm thinking that it was already released but they just aren't telling us. I bet we'll be the last to know. That's cause we keep pestering them. :D

People in Limppecker, Idaho have been playing it for weeks. Bob's Barber Shop has a rack with hundreds of CDs on it. You can see the glow from computer monitors emanating from every house in Limppecker late into the night. J.C. Broadly says, "It's the finest East Front tactical game I've ever seen. A wargamer's dream come true. I just wish I had time to sleep...(yawn)."

Michael

I've been watching the release date in the various computer gaming magazines. I've noticed a trend: it's always listed as being in the _next_ quarter.

In January, I saw a release of Q2, '02. As of last month, it's listed as Q3 '02. I suspect as September rolls around it'll change to Q4.

Ken "looking on the bright side"

There are obviously many people concerned with the date of CMBB's release. Frankly, I think BTS is just spoiling your fun. But you don't _need_ BTS to give you a date. I suggest you just pick June 22nd as the day it's supposed to come out.

For the next couple of weeks you can discuss how happy you are that the game's finally going to come out, and how much you're anticipating ordering/getting the game on the 22nd. Then, when the game doesn't come out on the 22nd, you can immedietly start complaining about the game not coming out, laying the blame, argueing about whether they should have relased it on time or keep working on it, etc. etc. See? No need for BTS to be involved at all.

;)

Maybe we should have a "Virtual Release" on 22nd, so for a couple of weeks people could post that they've ordered theirs, and then pretend they've been playing it for a month or so and tell all the people whose virtual copies haven't turned up.

It's been so long since the release of CMBO that I can't remember what the timing was like. Did BTS announce gold dates, or did they just put up a link saying "here's the demo" or what?

Of course, we already know they're doing things differently with CMBB, like not offering a demo until the full product is shipping, etc etc.

DjB

BTS has said there will be no demo before release.

I think they are smart to not have a release date. If they did set a date they would probably miss it and then everyone would be more annoyed than if they had never set one at all. I've seen it happen many times before with other games: publisher announces date, date is missed, fans go nuts about being "lied to" and how the devs are incompetent ect.

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

BTS has said there will be no demo before release.

I think they are smart to not have a release date. If they did set a date they would probably miss it and then everyone would be more annoyed than if they had never set one at all. I've seen it happen many times before with other games: publisher announces date, date is missed, fans go nuts about being "lied to" and how the devs are incompetent ect.

which i think is total BS on the fans part, they are not the ones making the games. But i agree, there should be no release date. And anyways, you know what they say "Better late than never"