Who Is Combat Mission's Competition?

Um....none that I can think of. Some CMer may enjoy GI Combat when/if it comes out, but it won't really be competition since it caters to a different type of wargamer IMO. Few, if any, current CM owners will forego a purchase of CMBB in order to pick up GIC. All IMO, of course.

Treeburst155 out.

only one I can think of is GI COMBAT.. From the makers of Close Combat.. They are pretty cool guys I got to meet them at E3 and they assured everyone who signed up for the beta would be able to test smile.gif w00t smile.gif (i signed up)

MD wrote:

The question then becomes, who is fatter - CM players or the competition?
LOL. Hey, if you need me I'll weigh in on the CM players' side, cuz I love the game that much. In the meantime I'll be over at the all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet.

Guy Who Doesn't Wanna Skip Dinner (Ever)

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Um....none that I can think of. Some CMer may enjoy GI Combat when/if it comes out, but it won't really be competition since it caters to a different type of wargamer IMO. Few, if any, current CM owners will forego a purchase of CMBB in order to pick up GIC. All IMO, of course.

Treeburst155 out.

Ya, I don't see why anyone would have trouble scrounging up $90 or so for the both of them.

It doesn't look like competition because of slightly larger scale and modern instead of WW2.

But TacOps4 will, at least for me, compete for playing time with CMBB when it comes out.

It has multiplayer per side with FOW between them, which totally rocks.

It avoids some CM annoyances like detailed TacAI. It does two PBEM moves per mail exchange (trusted). It has unit exchange/deletion/addition in-game, no more editor/game cycles for experiments. It runs under vmware under FreeBSD/Linux with no problems modulo slow LOS tool.

With CM it shared many important aspects, like compat gameplay (no dialog box clicking during combat), largely free of bugs/crashes, responsive developer(s), good community.

It doesn't have some CMBO problems which may be fixed in CMBB like weak MGs, screwy artillery model and too few control over tanks.

I should probably describe multiplayer per side a little more, but now I have to place that Jagdpanther Battalion in a Row II opening.

I agree, Redwolf. If it wasn't for CM I would still be playing TacOps 3.0. I enjoyed it that much. I will purchase 4.0 as soon as it comes out. I've been on the mailing list for some time now. It's going to be quite a game. I'm looking forward to making my own TacOps maps with the improved tool.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jeffsmith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

What is CM's chief competition out there?

WWII Re-Enactors !!!

Nothing Else Comes Close</font>

One of the biggest competiters for me has been World War 2 Online:Blitzkgrieg. GI Combat will be a close competiter for me too. They just released the into movie and all the animation from the intro movie are animations from the game. It looks bad ass. But dont worry, my first priority is CMBB. All the way. Nuthin will ever beat it.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

But, but, but I thought ALL SS Majors were 5'7" and weighed 298 pounds (with an obligatory 48" waistline).

So what exactly are you saying?

Steve

Well, that is all true, but I do believe one or two of them in real life DID have a certain degree of mastery of the German language, perhaps, and slightly less than 100 percent of them held the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds.

Mr. Clark,

TacOps has a more than decent AI that will keep you busy in single player for quite awhile. The AI has several different plans for each scenario. You never know which one it will use. Some AI plans are purposely inferior, some are rather outstanding. Once you burn out on the AI, you can play PBEM, which goes much faster than CM PBEM.

TacOps is not for everyone however. I would download the demo, read the excellent manual, and give it a good trial. If you like it, TacOps 4.0 will only cost you $25 plus shipping. Don't expect much in the eye candy department, but the sounds will grow on you.

Treeburst155 out.

For me the competition is Napoleon's Russian Campaign, Tiller's latest. If I play a lot of CM I won't have time to play NRC. What is the similarity? Complex paper-scissors-rock tactics. Everything else is different. But that is what makes for a good strategy game, to me.

[ June 07, 2002, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

If we are talking about monetary competition, you all release that buying CMBB immediately means that it had no competition, or that the competition lost, yes? Everyone in this thread has posted about other games they intend on buying, but we all know you will be buying CMBB as well, so there is no competition.

As for competing for your time,....another story altogether. Will be interesting to see what kind of online community springs up around Strategic Command and Airborne Assault; that is what makes CM so exciting as we all know.

The other two games are pretty closed ended - a finite number of maps to play on and a fairly conventional (to the uninitiated) approach to a standard topic. I don't think CMBB will have to go far in order to compete for the attentions of gameplayers based on what I've seen so far in this thread.

I think there are quite a few similiar war games with a high potential coming in the next 7 months:

1914 The Great War Turn based in 3D environment (~09/02)

WW II Panzer Claws So far a working title, publisher: Eidos, but a RTS (~09/02)

and the most interesting of them all (competition espacially for Strategic Command) Hearts of Iron World wide strategical simulation of WW II

I think they could keep me away playing only CM BtoB - if they keep what they promise!!

Have fun

Originally posted by Wassermann:

I think there are quite a few similiar war games with a high potential coming in the next 7 months:

1914 The Great War Turn based in 3D environment (~09/02)

WW II Panzer Claws So far a working title, publisher: Eidos, but a RTS (~09/02)

ww2_015.jpg

and the most interesting of them all (competition espacially for Strategic Command) Hearts of Iron World wide strategical simulation of WW II

I think they could keep me away playing only CM BtoB - if they keep what they promise!!

Have fun

Never seen Panzer Claw before, but their copy is a bit weird.

So far no other product on the market has been able to offer such advanced cabilities (sic) as WORLD WAR II: Panzer Claw. The game features all the advantages of a modern engine while fulfilling the expectations of a wide range of players and skill levels. As a classic representative of RTS...it offers a three dimensional terrain, with a true scale map.
Combat Mission doesn't?

The landscape appearance changes depending on the rhythm of day and night as well as the changing weather conditions, which also have an effect on the how (sic) units behave.
IF this means weather changes DURING A BATTLE, they are one up on CMBO.

At night their fighting value is lowered and the range of sight is diminished.
Wonder if they have friendly fire at night....

Speed decreases when it rains, as dirt roads turn to muddy quagmires. All terrain objects, vehicles and structures are entirely three-dimensional. Campaigns and single missions take place in different seasons of the year, which is reflected in the changing appearance of the terrain. The advanced editor is extremely easy to use.....
The title is dorky, but the screenshots look promising. Still, they don't offer much that CM hasn't given us - will be interesting to see how different they will approach the subject.

I hate their website too; how many flash introductions and "whizzy bits" do you need? I had to hit "skip" three or four times to get past all their crappy logos. Hopefully that alone is not evidence that their games are more flash than substance.

Very little info on gameplay; this looks like one to watch though.

Eric is right, of course, if this Panzer Claw is also a good game, I would probably buy it as well as CMBB. No real competition if I buy both games.

[ June 07, 2002, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]