Refresh Monkies take notice!

OK, now... there have been many rumors and much speculation about when the CMBB demo is to be released. Those of you who remember the Gold CMBO demo will also recall that a certain wild bunch of Refresh Monkies actually made it impossible for us to move the demo into the FTP directory. Ah... the memories smile.gif

Now I can't tell you exactly when the demo is going to be posted, but there will be a message posted on this forum, followed by new links and a news blurb on the homepage, somewhere around 12 am Sunday September 1st EST. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that's the best I can do :D

So how are we going to avoid the same problem we experienced before with all the refreshing? Well, we have a Plan. Namely, we are going to take the Forum offline for about 5 minutes while we get everything set up. That plus vastly improved UBB scripts should allow us to do what needs to be done (refreshing the "Sorry the Forum is Closed" screen shouldn't cause a problem).

Any questions? No? Good, then I am off to go cut some firewood and will see you all later on smile.gif

Steve

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

OK, now... there have been many rumors and much speculation about when the CMBB demo is to be released. Those of you who remember the Gold CMBO demo will also recall that a certain wild bunch of Refresh Monkies actually made it impossible for us to move the demo into the FTP directory. Ah... the memories smile.gif

Now I can't tell you exactly when the demo is going to be posted, but there will be a message posted on this forum, followed by new links and a news blurb on the homepage, somewhere around 12 am Sunday September 1st EST. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that's the best I can do :D

So how are we going to avoid the same problem we experienced before with all the refreshing? Well, we have a Plan. Namely, we are going to take the Forum offline for about 5 minutes while we get everything set up. That plus vastly improved UBB scripts should allow us to do what needs to be done (refreshing the "Sorry the Forum is Closed" screen shouldn't cause a problem).

Any questions? No? Good, then I am off to go cut some firewood and will see you all later on smile.gif

Steve

Makes me glad I am MST and not GMT....

...Now I can't tell you exactly when the demo is going to be posted , but there will be a message posted on this forum, followed by new links and a news blurb on the homepage, somewhere around 12 am Sunday September 1st EST. ...

Steve[/QB]

Great, now all monkeys will refresh feversly from now on .... :rolleyes:

BTW, I sure hope 'tha plan' works. I need to get my CMBB fix tongue.gif

Heck, if we are worried about load on the server, I'm willing to mirror the download on my server. I'll download it first smile.gif and then pass on a ssh login for people (perhaps 5 at a time or so) to either scp or sftp the download off. I'm on broadband so it shouldn't be too bad. I don't know, if we can get 10 or so of the techie guys on the forum to do the same, it would certanly help releave the pressure on the system.

thoughts?

-r

Originally posted by ryddle:

Heck, if we are worried about load on the server, I'm willing to mirror the download on my server. I'll download it first smile.gif and then pass on a ssh login for people (perhaps 5 at a time or so) to either scp or sftp the download off. I'm on broadband so it shouldn't be too bad. I don't know, if we can get 10 or so of the techie guys on the forum to do the same, it would certanly help releave the pressure on the system.

thoughts?

-r

I was wondering if some people wouldn't volunteer to host ICQ file transfers....

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ryddle:

thoughts?

-r

I was wondering if some people wouldn't volunteer to host ICQ file transfers....</font>

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ryddle:

thoughts?

-r

I was wondering if some people wouldn't volunteer to host ICQ file transfers....</font>

Since my server is also used for business, I'll only allow secure access and to those who are active memebers of this list. Yea, I know it doesn't really make you more trustworty smile.gif , but I have to be somewhat prudent. If you have no problem loading up winscp (shareware, check downloads.com), and you are on broadband, I'll set up a queue. I'll allow 5 users (who are also on broadband) concurrent access, they e-mail me when they are through, and I'll pass out the username/password to the next bunch. Since I'm at work anyways... i might as well do something interesting.

btw, this doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it sooner than from the battlefront download site, but it will releave the pressure for everyone else.

-r

Now I'm getting really confused!

Is 12 AM at midnight or at lunchtime?

If the people on the US west coast get it at 9 PM, the demo would have to be released at midnight, right? And they would get it at 9 PM tonight (August 31) If it is released at noon, they would get it at 9 AM (in the morning) and the time in central Europe would be 6 PM (18:00). But if it is released at midnight (in 9 hrs 40 min) I would be able to download it tomorrow morning.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Do I make sense? probably not....