Can anyone identify this flag?

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I know nothing about flags. BUT I though the Nazi's inverted the swastika when they "adopted" it.

any acient use of thaat symbol like that which Iron Chef Sakai is refering to (do not beleive that is from the 2nd world war. The swastika before the nazi's got a hold of it was a universal good luck symbol in many cultures. You can find swastikas in ancient jewish temples) would show an inverted or backwards swastika to the one shown in the photo.

No?

Tom - you are right. A clockwise rotating swastika is an ancient symbol of life and harmony, used by several cultures throughout history.

The Nazis took this symbol and then reversed it to reflect their ideology, so you may be assured Mr Sakai that if you see an anti-clockwise swastika it is a Nazi symbol every time.</font>

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Eric Young:

It has seven points, like an funny little flower the mountain troops wore on their hats.

Nice song too.

These are hints.

E

Eric, you are thinking of the Edelweiss, I believe, symbol of the Mountain Troops. As to the flag it is incorrect.

[ February 26, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

From WWB:

There is, or was, one stateside. It is at the Air and Space Museum's warehouse in suburban MD. The facility is open one weekend a year in the spring. I saw it when I was but a pup, 10 years ago or so. Very nicely done restoration, I have had a thing for the 190A ever since.

WWB, IIRC, the National Air and Space Museum's Silver Hill facility (I think its called) now has public tours on a regular basis. I think it's every saturday and sunday but I'm not sure. If anyone is interested you may call the NASM or find the NASM website and see if the info is there.

I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out thus far. It probably has nothing to do with anything, but the background and placement of the flag in question looks a LOT like the German Cross in Silver and Gold (aka "order of the scrambled eggs"). This was ordered created in September 1941.

While not exactly the same, for sure, it is very similar. Differences are that there is no circular, bordered background behind the Swastika, nor is the "sunburst" pattern exactly the same. Other German awards for various things (army service, motherhood, etc.) used a similar "sunburst" pattern. It could be possible that this flag might have been inspired by the award from a design standpoint.

Steve

Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

You can put any word in front of guess and you know what? It's still just a guess. My "educated" guess has still yet to be proven wrong so whats the big deal?

As the generally accepted educated guess that you are knowledge challenged hasn't been proven wrong

I was thinking that Steve. No really I was, (I should get points for benefit of doubt and for having survived the seniority downsizing Matt did with the database wipeout). As Ken Lay said, "It's awite it's awite, everthing gonna be awite"! :D

Now that line of thought takes me towards some sort of honor society or league flag. One involved maybe with honoring the wounded or honoring veterans families. Wild guess ofcourse. I really think Croda should write to several flag sources and maybe a few online collector sites. Might even get some offers and from that be able to establish a worth.

I've sent the picture off to Flagspot. I'll post when (if) I hear from them. Perhaps I'll track down a Smithsonian contact if I can. On top of those, I'm open to suggestions for people to contact. There have been many sites posted here that I need to sort through. Many of them are redundant (though I appreciate the help anyway), and lead to what appear to be mirrors of the Flagspot site.

To be truthful, I am kind of surprised to have something so obscure that no one has been able to label it with any defgree of certainty. Isn't Andreas around here somewhere? I figured he'd eat this up! ;)

Thanks, Berli.

I was thinking about the number of points on the background device, and was wondering if they correspond to the points of the compass. You've got your major 8 points plus some. 50 total if I counted correctly. Does that ring true to anyone?

Yeah, not sure what else I could suggest other than what your doing. Maybe try a couple of those collector sales sites. Some of them ole guys know a lot about (aboot in Canada), Third Reich memorabilia. I think we've run the gauntlet of guesses here. As you say, surprising nothing solid has come up with everyone looking in books and online. You definately gotta let us know what the devil it is when/if you find out for sure.

Uh, there's 48. Unless you doctored the picture! Standard compass points are the 4 main ones (north south, etc.) plus the "in-betweens" of north-east, north-west, etc. Some would also include the further division of north-north-east, et. al. That's a total of 16. I don't know of anything that breaks it down past that, except by degrees. I remembering all this from my Boy Scout days, so I may be a little foggy.

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Everyone has an opinion, often of little worth

Who me?

Hehe, wouldn't a mattered if Croda had posted a picture of a teapot there'd been a fight break out.

I Love this place. Just keeps reminding me of Kelly's Hero's. "Sarge, I think I got the crabs." :D </font>

Originally posted by wbs:

From WWB:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />There is, or was, one stateside. It is at the Air and Space Museum's warehouse in suburban MD. The facility is open one weekend a year in the spring. I saw it when I was but a pup, 10 years ago or so. Very nicely done restoration, I have had a thing for the 190A ever since.

WWB, IIRC, the National Air and Space Museum's Silver Hill facility (I think its called) now has public tours on a regular basis. I think it's every saturday and sunday but I'm not sure. If anyone is interested you may call the NASM or find the NASM website and see if the info is there.</font>

Originally posted by Croda:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

Ok that makes sense except i did'nt realize the pre-requisites for this meessage board were that you had to have a least a minor in History from and Ivy League College. I made the analogy earlier...Steve getting all over my case for making a guess would be like be lambasting him for not having read as many books on me on a random subject.

Thats why i like the grogs, sometimes there posts can be drawn out more then need be, but they don't get all mad and offended if someone tosses something out that they staunchly disagree with. I don't see grogs attacking the way Steve makes his posts. GIving out some hard facts to what a flags is would be good, i'm surious to see what it's all about, but i ended up getting lambasted because Steve disagreed, but did not have the hard facts to prove me wrong. If a grog saw my post, they'd probably laugh to themselves, then post why i was wrong and show what the answer is without throwing a hissy fit about it.

Spelling and Grammar Check</font>

Croda,

To be truthful, I am kind of surprised to have something so obscure that no one has been able to label it with any defgree of certainty.
Obscure Nazi era stuff is probably more common than you think. They had a symbol, award, flag, uniform, etc. for practically everything, no matter how "big" or "small". There was a slew of stuff for falconry, motherhood, and just about anything else you can think of.

Consider that the Nazi government was in absolute power for nearly 12 years with a degree of control and influence which (thankfully) has rarely been seen on Earth. Not only that, but the Nazis were an industrialized nation more fond of symbology than probably any other state in the 20th century (rivaled by China and the SU). Put it all together and you can then begin to fathom how much crap these people churned out before the regime was broken up.

Steve

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

You can put any word in front of guess and you know what? It's still just a guess. My "educated" guess has still yet to be proven wrong so whats the big deal?

As the generally accepted educated guess that you are knowledge challenged hasn't been proven wrong</font>

The background burst looks quite similar to the "Tapferkeits - und Verdienst - Auszeichnung fur Angehorige der Ostvokan" A decoration for bravery and merit of the "Eastern People". Which was also awarded to some Germans. Unfortunately, the ribbons usually associated with these were also green. However the Klasse in gold ribbon was green and red. Could be a family/town/organization towting its award. BTW insert an umlaut over the fur and Angehorige-still haven't figured out how to get this keyboard to type an umlaut (I think it's user error!)

P.S. Can't you see we got the game on. Booker, bring me my uniform!

Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

[QBThats why i like the grogs, sometimes there posts can be drawn out more then need be, but they don't get all mad and offended if someone tosses something out that they staunchly disagree with. I don't see grogs attacking the way Steve makes his posts. GIving out some hard facts to what a flags is would be good, i'm surious to see what it's all about, but i ended up getting lambasted because Steve disagreed, but did not have the hard facts to prove me wrong. If a grog saw my post, they'd probably laugh to themselves, then post why i was wrong and show what the answer is without throwing a hissy fit about it.[/qb]

Spelling and Grammar Check[/qb]