Can anyone identify this flag?

Hey I found some very specific info on the Bf109 above.... It is a Bf109 G-6/Y. Here is some history on it...

"MT-507 arrived in Finland on 26th August 1944, too late for wartime operations. Most of its flights were in peace-time service."

and...

"Finland got first Bf-109G2s in 1943 and a number of Bf-109G6s later. This plane - MT-507- arrived in late August 1944 - too late to take part in the fighting. MT-507 made history by being the last Bf-109 to fly for the Finnish Air Force. The last flight took place 13.3.1954."

So, looks like I will have to go to Finland to see this one.. Heh heh..

Jeff

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jshandorf:

Yeah, like dfgardner, I would also like to know where the 109-G (Looks like a G) is located!

That particular one (MT-507) is here.

Also, any know where any Fw190s are located?

Oh, you haven't heard of the flooded underground factories under Berlin have you? Full of them. Also you should visit the Volksjäger salt mine assembly lines It's right near the Maus regiment training grounds :D

Seriously, there's one I know of 190 at Hendon (London) but it is a super-ugly two-seater trainer version. Snif... the only way I could look at it was from the front so that the engine cowling hid that boxy monstruosity of a cockpit. :(

Originally posted by dfgardner:

MT577%20109G6-2.jpgWhere did the picture of the 109 come from? Is that a wartime pic or current pic of restored/displayed aircraft?

I'm only guessing, but I would bet money on it, that it is a recent photo of a restoration and it's somewhere in Finland.

BTW, as a side note, please observe the birch trees in the background. The subject came up in a recent thread on mods of how European birches look compared to their North American counterparts. If I am correct that this photo was taken in Finland, this is a handy piece of evidence on the subject.

Michael

[ February 26, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

From Lars:

:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you go, shandorf. Get yourself a new one.

FW-190

Only US $525,000 (some assembly required).

Great Find, Lars, this is way cool! God, how I would love to be the first kid at my local airfield to have one! Think of all the heads you would turn! A plane with lots of "show off" factor (i.e. you can really 'show off' in this plane).

Thanks for posting it.

[ February 26, 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: wbs ]

Croda - no luck with my books, even looked at armbands. One thing I can tell you - police insignia were green.

The flag could be representaive of the Wehrkreis that Heidelburg was in. I can't be sure. It's some kind of party flag but at what level I do not know. Sorry Croda. Thought I'd be able to help.

From Croda:

wbs -

Check out this link for the 44th ID TO&E. You may or may not have seen it before.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/documents/eto-ob/44ID-ETO.htm

Hi, Croda, thanks for the post. I did see this page several years ago, but then I forgot about it.

My grandfather was the General William Beiderlinden you see listed there. He was the Asst. Div. Commander (and Commander of the divisional artillery) until after the war, when General Dean (who was a good family friend) was transferred. Granddad was then promoted to command of the 44th until he was transferred to Tokyo to become MacArthur's Asst. Chief of Staff (Later acting Chief of Staff).

Being the oldest grandchild (and a male), I inherited his name, and so am William Beiderlinden Severe (hence the wbs for my board name)

Incidentally--the General Dean listed there is the same General Dean who was captured by the North Koreans in the opening days of that war.

Jeff,

The Imperial War Museum in London has one. The Deutsches Museum in Munich has a ME 262, ME 109, and JU 52 on display. At least they did 10 years ago when I visited there!

P.S. I love you, Steve. Marry me.
Sorry, already spoken for smile.gif However, I have been instructed that if a large AFV appears in our driveway, with paperwork linking it to my ownership, I might be available for the taking once again :D

Iron Chef Sakai:

My "educated" guess has still yet to be proven wrong so whats the big deal?
So is Bruno's

It is the Nazi Cornstarch flag. Must have decorated kitchens throughout the Reich
Your guess is about as valuable as his, even though he clearly made his in jest. If you don't understand this, then you are clearly out of your league and should go away until you have figured out how to conduct yourself propperly. We are trying to have an enlightened, educated discussion amongst people who can actually contribute to this discussion. If you wish to be taken seriously, then do some growing up. If you wish to instead be laughed at, then keep it up.

I would'nt get all up in arms because we did'nt post the same guess too where the flags ture origin is from, this is supposed to be fun,
If you want "fun", play CM. If you want to enjoy an intellectual discussion, which can contain humor (plenty of that in this thread), stay on this BBS. But please, for your own sake, stop trying to come off as an educated, well reasoned person when you clearly just making random guesses based on a smattering of readings. Defending your position is almost as bad as creating it in the first place.

Steve

Incidentally, since this thread has broadened a little bit to include other collectibles--

I have all of my grandfather's papers. In this collection are both personal and official letters to my grandfather that were written and signed by generals Omar Bradley, Douglas MacArthur, Matthew Ridgway, Maxwell Taylor, William Hoge (captured the bridge at Remagen), Jimmy Doolittle, and numerous others.

I am not particularly interested in selling them, but I am interested in finding out how much they might be worth as items of historical interest.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how, or where, I might find out?

Thanks.

garulfo, I see your point about the star / Kornblume thing. However, the background is red not green, which is unusual for a police flag (see Frenchy's post).

personally I find Feldgendarm's suggestion that it might be a firefighter-related thing very interesting. It ispolice related (see his post), yet it would not be green.

Croda,

I wonder if a museum or professional collector might be able to shed some light on your flag. The Smithsonian in DC might be able to answer your question, and probably for free. They have given me free advice on preserving historical newspapers, for example.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jshandorf:

Here you go, shandorf. Get yourself a new one.

FW-190

Only US $525,000 (some assembly required).</font>

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Jeff,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Also, any know where any Fw190s are located?

The Imperial War Museum in London has one. The Deutsches Museum in Munich has a ME 262, ME 109, and JU 52 on display. At least they did 10 years ago when I visited there!

[steve putting ICS into his place has been omitted]

Steve</font>

Yeah, like dfgardner, I would also like to know where the 109-G (Looks like a G) is located! There aren't too many 109s left in the world and I am very curious where this one is!

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I love you, Steve. Marry me.

Try this Link

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

You can put any word in front of guess and you know what? It's still just a guess. My "educated" guess has still yet to be proven wrong so whats the big deal? When he finds out what that flag is all about and if my guess was wrong then i guess you could post an i told you so post but what is the point? I would'nt get all up in arms because we did'nt post the same guess too where the flags ture origin is from, this is supposed to be fun, loosen up....oh by the way, i;ve never played pictionary but i'm assuming it would be funny if you did.

ICS -- Steve is more talking about your methodology than your answer. When you take your first College history course you will see (if your prof is good) that methodology is more important than opinion in history. </font>

What if its a Stormtrooper flag from the early 30s?
Check out the URL's I gave. I checked the early SA flags and banners but none of them seem to even remotely resemble Croda's flag. (Hey, that's it. Hence forth it shall be known as "The Croda Flag").

please observe the birch trees in the background
Nah, thems Finnish birches. Probally of the Lappland variety, you can tell from the crooked trunks, much different from them European birches. :D I hate to be horticulturally incorrect but birches all look alike to me. From the pics in the URL's I had in that thread for Tank's trees, and some I've looked at since the bmp's that Tank did IMO, seem pretty close to my eye, if even one can tell a difference. Maybe some youngin in here can, my eyes ain't what they used to be.

I betcha Martha Stewart could tell us. :D

[ February 26, 2002, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dfgardner:

MT577%20109G6-2.jpgWhere did the picture of the 109 come from? Is that a wartime pic or current pic of restored/displayed aircraft?

I'm only guessing, but I would bet money on it, that it is a recent photo of a restoration and it's somewhere in Finland.

BTW, as a side note, please observe the birch trees in the background. The subject came up in a recent thread on mods of how European birches look compared to their North American counterparts. If I am correct that this photo was taken in Finland, this is a handy piece of evidence on the subject.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

Ok that makes sense except i did'nt realize the pre-requisites for this meessage board were that you had to have a least a minor in History from and Ivy League College. I made the analogy earlier...Steve getting all over my case for making a guess would be like be lambasting him for not having read as many books on me on a random subject.

Thats why i like the grogs, sometimes there posts can be drawn out more then need be, but they don't get all mad and offended if someone tosses something out that they staunchly disagree with. I don't see grogs attacking the way Steve makes his posts. GIving out some hard facts to what a flags is would be good, i'm surious to see what it's all about, but i ended up getting lambasted because Steve disagreed, but did not have the hard facts to prove me wrong. If a grog saw my post, they'd probably laugh to themselves, then post why i was wrong and show what the answer is without throwing a hissy fit about it.

Spelling and Grammar Check