***Rumblings Of War II: The Boots & Tracks Brawl***

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since after three days I now have some semblance of a working brain, I have begun to work through my military to do list. Spanish Bombs has been sent my

setup for (okay to list scenario title?), but I still have vertiginous obligation to Michael Dorosh

and need to get the ball rolling with Soddball, since ich bin Germanen. That's three games so far, quite a lot by my standards.

But wait. There's more!

Treeburst155 sent me two more sets of game files, bringing the total to five, and I'm still in negotiations with Ari Maenpaa for an Invitational game (a tourney whose completion I'm delaying), making the total six altogether.

Am also on article deadline this month and have a stack of editing to do by the 14th of this month.

There is no way I can do all of the above games at anything like my usual one or several turns a day clip, not to mention the potential disasters if I get my battles confused. I could really use some sage advice on how to handle what seems like an overwhelming load. Personally, I think I'd be better off running, say, three games at once, focusing on them, then doing the next batch, but maybe that's the wrong approach.

Ideas, anyone?

Regards,

John Kettler

If conceding to me will ease your workload, John....

I beleive the time limit is 90 days, so whatever you want to do with ours is fine by me. I am currently playing PBEM with PzKpfw III, aaronb, Seanachai and Terence, waiting on a TCP with Fairbairn Sykes, and also underway with two others from the tourney, hopefully more, not to mention seemingly abandoned PBEM with Steve Jackson and Captain Wacky.

If you want to delay ours, that's fine, or just play a turn every day or so - whatever you want to do.

[ June 08, 2002, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Actually, I've made some progress. Soddball has been sent my German setup, and you, droll kidder Michael Dorosh, have just been sent my Allied setup, leaving only Ugbash and Bertram so far unaddressed. My brain is still trying to grasp the extreme relief which characterizes so much of our map, Michael. I'm totally unaccustomed to such a complex LOS problem.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Actually, I've made some progress. Soddball has been sent my German setup, and you, droll kidder Michael Dorosh, have just been sent my Allied setup, leaving only Ugbash and Bertram so far unaddressed. My brain is still trying to grasp the extreme relief which characterizes so much of our map, Michael. I'm totally unaccustomed to such a complex LOS problem.

Regards,

John Kettler

Basically, your concern will revolve not around complex LOS issues, but in staying the hell out of the way of my Maus. Or Mauses, if you prefer.

It is really a breathtaking map isn't it. I'm almost tempted to load half of Tom's Battle of the Bulge winter mod, so that the upper elevations will have snow on them!

Mikey Treeburst, here is a question - would it be possible to submit just the map for that one to the Scenario Depot for others to be able to see it?

I do realize there is the concern about people using the map to do dry runs on, but really, anyone can do that by using the startup file for that purpose, if they really need to cheat to win that badly.

This map needs to be seen by the community at large!

I thought the Where Eagles Dare map was cool, but this one is a lot more realistic than that one.

[ June 09, 2002, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

LOS scouting should be fairly limited for the players. You can't move units beyond your setup zones unless they are already outside them. Even if they are, you can only move them inside the setup zones. IOW, players cannot do a very thorough LOS checking. Now, if you were to let people download the map they could analyze the hell out of LOS. One might as well give them a point to point LOS tool. smile.gif

I told SuperTed you wanted to post some screenshots, but also that it was problematic. He expressed interest in doing it. I haven't heard from him since however.

John,

You can make the Invitational low priority. Ari's out playing in the sun anyway. When the cold winds blow he will come back inside. That will be a few months yet. You are not the only one holding up the Invitational anyway. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

[ June 09, 2002, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Hi,

FWIIW I say show screen shots if you must but lets keep people in the dark in regards to the map.

I have just done my set up for Head to The Hills. Another great map and I hope a good game.

The "Another Day" is a bit bland but will pose an interesting challenge. Set up done and sent.

Fire on the Mountain is in progress and I wait for the return file. Fire has started and we shall see how well I do climbing hills.

Polish Push is in the wings and I will look at the map during the week. Sorry Red Wolf but I need to give you 110% attention.

;)

St Mere Eglise was sent on Friday and no file back as of yet.

Have a good day and I am off to bed...

Cheers

H

I have to say that Head to the Hills is the most exciting scenario I have played in weeks, but of course I can't say why until after the tourney. I suspect you will find out in due course.

As for screenshots; I wouldn't worry about it. That map needs to be experienced in 3D, either in the game or in the editor. The masses will just have to wait their 90 days!

Originally posted by Holien:

Polish Push is in the wings and I will look at the map during the week. Sorry Red Wolf but I need to give you 110% attention.

Now that I can't attack KiwiJoe at least a fellow THer will have to run a killzone gauntlet :D Take your time, I need some to deploy that Jagdpanther battalion, too.

Nothing heard yet of Cogust, first-side setups sent/received with the four other people.

CPT,

There was an error in the email listings. The correct email is b.balaban@rogers.com and I've been successfully exchanging turns with him for a couple days.

However, to the rest of 3\3, has anybody had any contact with Vader yet? He's the only player I'm still waiting on.

Jon L

[ June 09, 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Staneth ]

No progress to report yet (was gone all day) on Ugbash (Sumerian enthusiast?) and Bertram. Soddball has been sent my first real turn in Another Day, but there seem to be problems with what I got from Michael Dorosh and Spanish Bombs. Both have been notified. No lead's yet in evidence anywhere.

Regards,

John Kettler

Good Morning Chaps...

MD you might not want to say as much as you have as it has now peeked my interest in that game.

This could of course be all bluff and there is a thin line which we must be careful to not cross.

BTW can you give me some advice on Maus handling?

Those mountains are a bit steep and I have yet to reach the road.

Redwolf I am searching for ways to dent the wolf.

The next turn of fire on the Mount was sent this morning and we have yet to really get into it.

H

I have one battle going on in earnest, one with some turns but no action really and three without any game files yet. D'oh.

I find it hard to concentrate on games where I have to pause for days to think about something else and then suddenly get a turn. What was going on? What scenario is this? Isn't Santa real? Hooray?

[edit]It appears that I, infact, suck: lost a battle in the inbox that has been flooded recently. Sorry Gunnersman.[/edit]

[ June 10, 2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Ligur ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

Nothing heard yet of Cogust, first-side setups sent/received with the four other people.

I hope I'm wrong on this but you may have no luck with Cogust. He's been missing from the BoB site for weeks now despite numerous attempts from Jarmo to get in touch with him to complete an ongoing battle that is being posted as an AAR. It might be prudent to get some feelers out to see if Cogust is still prepared to be part of this tournament.

Regards

Jim R.