CMBB: drop the cutsy 'R'

Okay, okay, it's not even released and I'm griping about it.

I saw the link for the Computer Gaming ad for CMBB.

It shows the title spelled out, but every "r" is replace by the

cyrillic backwards "R".

Guys, it looks stupid.

First thing I thought of was "Toys 'R' Us" (with the backwards "R").

Don't do it. If the release is delayed 6 months while you redesign the box

art/ad campaign, it'll be worth it.

So, agree or not, pile on!

Ken

Originally posted by c3k:

cyrillic backwards "R".

Guys, it looks stupid.

Ken

I ... I don't know what to say ... after all the fussin' 'n fightin' about this or that unit being included and this or that tactic being modelled we come down to THIS!

I don't care if the damn thing comes out IN a Toy's 'R Us box ... I just want it! smile.gif

Joe

Hey, I commented on it first! And of the three opinions I have read so far on the matter, it appears unanimous....check out the computer mag ad thread for a description of what the backwards letters acutally mean.

This reminds me of the box top art for Close Combat III - showing a Russian soldier with a British Lee Enfield rifle. The artwork was stunning in its detail and realism; too bad about the rifle.

CC3.jpg

[ June 04, 2002, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by c3k:

cyrillic backwards "R".

Guys, it looks stupid.

Ken

first priority get my hands on CMBB ASAP!

Second Priority get rid of the backwards "R"

or use some elses Moded CD cover art which will immediately appear following the sale and release of CMBB

The backwards "R" is certianly "questionable" :rolleyes: IMHO but what the heck I hope BFC has better things to do than fix questionable cover design issues in their print ad campaign.

Instead of bitching we should all be saluting the fact that they ACTUALLY have a print ad campaign (they are VERY expensive to run) and congradulating them for its timely release in the June issue, (think about it!) I would hope another full page print ad would follow in the July issue.

How about this:

"GREAT work BFC, on the print campaign!

Keep up the solid effort!"

A+ for effort and timing in Advertising! smile.gif

C+ however for Graphic Design work on the Print Ad

-tom w

(P.S. sorry .... What can I say? I teach Graphic and New Media Design Students at the college level)

[ June 04, 2002, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Zitadelle:

And to top it all off, a backwards 'R' is not the 'R' in Russian. The cyrillic letter that appears as a backwards 'R' is actually pronounced "ya;" the cyrillic letter 'R' looks like an English 'P.'

I tried to pronounce it that way when i first saw the ad (i speak Russian) –

BAJABAJAOSSA TO BEJALIN

Sounds like Arabish or somfink.

CMBO was not shipped in a box, nor did it have a jewel case, hence no cover art except on the manual. Is CMBB going to be shipped the same way? If so, who cares what the ad looks like since we are all (most of us) going to order it from BFC.

The Rifle on the Close Combat III box is a Lee-Enfield? I thought it looked just like my Mosin-Nagant (the real star of "Enemy at the Gates"). Now I'm curious as to why the British put a Hammer & Sickle on the receiver of my rifle.

Originally posted by CMsoldier:

I could care less what the cover looks like. Why waste useless time changing it for a few people when you could get the game out that much quicker??

It deosnt even have to say Combat Mission for all i care.

here here! just get us the game. those of you that don't like the reverse 'r' can cut the box and turn the r's around if you like. besides, they've already sold us on the game. if you don't believe me, i'd like a show of hands of members of this board that aren't going to buy it(that's not funny madmatt! put your hand down!). didn't think so! they want to make it look cool for the other folks that haven't bought the original yet... tongue.giftongue.gif

Originally posted by depawel:

The Rifle on the Close Combat III box is a Lee-Enfield? I thought it looked just like my Mosin-Nagant (the real star of "Enemy at the Gates"). Now I'm curious as to why the British put a Hammer & Sickle on the receiver of my rifle.

I own a Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk III (the rifle in the artwork), and also own both a Mosin-Nagant rifle and the M44 carbine version. I assure you, it is a Lee Enfield. Interesting, however, that you claim to have a Russian marked one.

Perhaps they were provided as part of Lend Lease? The Russians used GMC trucks, universal carriers, P39 Airacobras, M3 Lee and M3 Stuart tanks, etc., etc., etc. I just hadn't heard of the SMLE being offered as well. Makes sense, I guess, after the No. 4 Mk I replaced the SMLE.

Originally posted by Eric Young:

If you want to get picky about the CC III box, the belt buckel on the Russian is upside down too.

E

Now I am not so convinced the rifle is incorrect. That artwork is beautifully done; didn't notice the belt buckle (or had forgotten, at any rate). Nice to hear from the horse's mouth (I hope your wife or cousin or something wasn't the artist?? redface.gif )

Can anybody else see that the glacis on the helmet is 38.0023 degrees from the vertical when it is common knowledge that 38.0032 degrees was the norm for russki tin pots?

Close Combat should fix or do sumfink!

I think what we have here is an illustration of what Combat Mission players are. They want detail. They want accuracy. It's what makes Combat Mission their favourite game and they expect even more detail and accuracy from it's next form. Even down to the spelling of it's name.