Combat Mission Modeling Contest!!

Heya Guys,

Okay, a few quick answers... smile.gif

Thomm, lighting is an interesting question. In general, I think that shadowing is probably best done in Photoshop, and generally you want all shadows to look like they are the same depth and that is something hard to do if you have submissions from many different modellers. Generally though, a light source that is from a 45 degree angle from the direction of the camera would probably give the best results, as long as it isnt too strong.

Mattias, fingers crossed it will be a success!

Leeo, currently the contest is on the two most frequented pages...the news page and the General Discussion forum. Missing Links have their own competition on the main page at the moment, so currently we are on the other pages.

Shep, if you get us a texture for every model, you will most probably see them in CMBB, hehe. We do need to keep textures to a certain quality level, but from what Ive seen over at the Missing Links gallery every model would fit into that catagory!

Dalem, generally we are after AFV's but please free to send along any guns you guys have, too. I will double check that this is fine with Steve, but Id say you will get yourself a poster out of it at least smile.gif

Michael, looking forward to the Panther and Id love to see the SdKfz 251!

Thanks for the interest guys! If any of you out there have ties with the modelling community or other forums, etc, please feel free to help us get the word out and let them know about the Missing Links competition. The more folks we get interested, the more models we will get and the more we will be able to fit into CMBB within the time frame we have smile.gif

Dan

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shep:

Hey all, we need to be organized on this! We need to get the word out! We need a constantly updated list of what has been done, and what needs to be done!

In essence, the powers that be have put which vehicles are included right under our control... let's make sure we get them all.<hr></blockquote>

Just a few comments.

Battlefront aren't stupid by arranging the competition with the assistance of Missing-lynx, as that site has quite a large audience of armour modellers.

I think you'll find there would be a good response to the competition because there's a good cool value having one's work incorporated into a game.

As for keeping a list?

Kwazydog already has a list no doubt and there is thus IMHO no need for us to duplicate the effort.

Further, it is a competition with each entry being judged on its merits, we shouldn't be limiting ourselves to who does what.

Mace

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Posted by Mace:

As for keeping a list?

Kwazydog already has a list no doubt and there is thus IMHO no need for us to duplicate the effort. <hr></blockquote>

The list would be for our benefit, not KwazyDog's (since he has his own!), but everyone needs to bear in mind their plea for multiple submissions.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The list would be for our benefit, not KwazyDog's (since he has his own!), but everyone needs to bear in mind their plea for multiple submissions.<hr></blockquote>

I don't want to be difficult but why?

We won't be in a position to know what AFV has and hasn't been entered because not all entrants read this board, hence our own list won't be complete.

Perhaps the best way is for Kwazy just to update here every now and then with a list of what AFVs are still outstanding (perhaps on a weekly basis) - that is if he has the time! ;)

Mace

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> 3) Since all vehicles in the game are rendered in high resolution, your images should be at least 1200x800 pixels, with the vehicle filling most of the screenshot. <hr></blockquote>

Not knowing too much about digital cameras, can this be translated into a "megapixel" rating?

I do not own one yet, but this might be an opportunity to finally get one, otherwise I will try using my 35mm camera and get the "Picture CD" when I get them developed -- however I have a feeling those will not be detailed enough.

Heya guys

Flammenwerfer, Zalgoa has some great models and some that are pretty rare, too. Im not sure if he enters competitions though, hehe. Time will tell I guess.

Panzer Leader, if you are getting yourself a digital camera, make sure you get one with more than 2.1 mega pixels these days. The more the better but 2.1 does give a nice picture. Scans will be fine for the competition though, hehe, so dont go spending money on a digital camera unless you after an excuse to buy one ;)

Dan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Heya guys

Flammenwerfer, Zalgoa has some great models and some that are pretty rare, too. Im not sure if he enters competitions though, hehe. Time will tell I guess.

Scans will be fine for the competition though, hehe, so dont go spending money on a digital camera unless you after an excuse to buy one ;)

Dan<hr></blockquote>

Looks like I'll be doing some photography then. Unfortunately my scanner creates huge files though. We'll see how things go. Hopefully I'll have a Panther A late (hand zimmerited), Tiger 1 late (hand zimmerited), A Tiger II ambush pattern, and a JSII early hull to you within a week.

Nonetheless, I'd love to see Steve Zaloga and other Missing Links contributers provide immages of their models for CMBB. Those guys put a lot of time, money and talent into their models. Haveing put 60 or more hours into models that I created out of the box, I imagine many of the models at Missing Links represent 120 or more hours of research and work.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

....the more submission we get the more we will be able to flesh out the vehicle varients.

Dan<hr></blockquote>

Does this mean there will be more than one set of skins available for each vehicle?