WoW!!!

Hello,

I'm completely new to CM and all I can say is WoW!!!!!!

I'm only 24 years old (my understanding is that most WW2 sim adicts are older, older than me =) anyways) and love playing WW2 sims. I just recently found the CM website and after playing the demo ordered it online. I live in Alberta, Canada so a Web/Europe only sold game doesn't get much attention here.

But like I said i'm an avid WW2 game player. You name it i've played it, although only a few games appealed to me. And i'm interested by all facets of the WW2 era ( air, land, Sea). And after playing the demo and reading reviews I had to order it online. This is the kind of game that panzer General 3 wishes it could be(my prev. fav.). And I hate to see how great it is after i'm done leaching the whole Combat Mission FTP site.. and i don't even have the game yet. I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet. me and my 28.8 modem (damn the contry and it's million dollar high speed internet(I live in the country so I can only get dial-up(28.8) for $20 or satelite(40k/s) for $70 plus a $300 setup fee)

However, I'm not very skilled at the arts of war. I blame this on all the RTS games that are out there smile.gif . It's sad when I can only win on the demo when I set my side to have a 200% advantage :( . So any tutorials, kicks in the ass, etc... would realy help. Especially after reading a few AAF's my WW2 Kung-Fu is realy weak. No wonder I keep loosing most WW2 games I play (SH1/2 not incuded .. my sub ninja's rule).

So, I hope I've fully introduced myself smile.gif As the newest member to play CM.. and I hope that I can live up to your examples for when CMBB comes out(can't wait.. wamphyri <--- is an eye candy freak).

Wamphyri

BTW .. Stay Cool

[ July 20, 2002, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: wamphyri ]

Originally posted by wamphyri:

Hello,

I'm only 24 years old (my understanding is that most WW2 sim adicts are older, older than me =) anyways) and love playing WW2 sims. I just recently found the CM website and after playing the demo ordered it online. I live in Alberta, Canada so a Web/Europe only sold game doesn't get much attention here.

But like I said i'm an avid WW2 game player. You name it i've played it, although only a few games appealed to me. And i'm interested by all facets of the WW2 era ( air, land, Sea). And after playing the demo and reading reviews I had to order it online. This is the kind of game that panzer General 3 wishes it could be(my prev. fav.). And I hate to see how great it is after i'm done leaching the whole Combat Mission FTP site.. and i don't even have the game yet. I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet. me and my 28.8 modem (damn the contry and it's million dollar high speed internet(realy only 100 canadian .. but that's a million for 40k/s)

However, I'm not very skilled at the arts of war. I blame this on all the RTS games that are out there smile.gif . It's sad when I can only win on the demo when I set my side to have a 200% advantage :( . So any tutorials, kicks in the ass, etc... would realy help. Especially after reading a few AAF's my WW2 Kung-Fu is realy weak. No wonder I keep loosing most WW2 games I play (SH1/2 not incuded .. my sub ninja's rule).

So, I hope I've fully introduced myself smile.gif As the newest member of the CM team.. and I hope that I can live up to your examples for when CMBB comes out(can't wait.. wamphyri <--- is an eye candy freak).

Wamphyri

BTW .. Stay Cool

Please tell me you are not from Edmonton. ;)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wamphyri:

Hello,

But like I said i'm an avid WW2 game player. You name it i've played it, although only a few games appealed to me. And i'm interested by all facets of the WW2 era ( air, land, Sea). And after playing the demo and reading reviews I had to order it online. This is the kind of game that panzer General 3 wishes it could be(my prev. fav.). And I hate to see how great it is after i'm done leaching the whole Combat Mission FTP site.. and i don't even have the game yet. I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet. me and my 28.8 modem (damn the contry and it's million dollar high speed internet(realy only 100 canadian .. but that's a million for 40k/s)

So, I hope I've fully introduced myself smile.gif As the newest member of the CM team.. and I hope that I can live up to your examples for when CMBB comes out(can't wait.. wamphyri <--- is an eye candy freak).

Wamphyri

BTW .. Stay Cool

Please tell me you are not from Edmonton. ;) </font>

Welcome!

I suggest you find a good used bookstore or a great library and bury your nose in the study of company, platoon, and squad tatics for infantry and tank warfare from the world war two era. Also pick up some good books on world war two battles , campaigns an operations. Most important is read some first persons stories of the war. Then you will be totally immersed.

Then if you are married or heavily involved in a relationship, pick up some self help books on keeping a relationship going. Why? Because when you kiss your significant other goodnight when you get the full version you will deposit it into your CD Rom drive and will not take it out ever again, or at least til CMBB is delivered to your doorstep. You will no longer have free time.

I had to buy new computer for me , and give my wife my old one because I gave strict orders not to remove the CD from MY computer.

I would also suggest you come here to the forum and read postings about AARs, go to dedicated web sites that have AARs and tactics posted for CMBO.

Well I have to cut short, I have TCP/IP game on in ten minutes, still need to Carb up Get my Gallon of IceTea ready, take a shower, so I am ready to play.

Again Welcome and Enjoy, I am sure others will pop in and post more hints and clues on your future enjoyment.

OMG .. I place a post on a forum for a 2 year old game and I have 3 replies within 15 minutes . . thats amazing.

I now feel that I picked the right game to purchase, i know i won't be disappointed if it has this kind of support from it's players.

I hope to play a few of you in MP games even if I know it's a lost cause. What better way to learn then by losing. (maybe that was hitler's reasoning behind the blitzkrieg( he didn't want gas attacks halting his advance), he was in the infantry(in think!) during WW1)(any errors in my info can be blamed on the discovery channel.. smile.gif )

Hope to lose to you soon ..

Wamphyri

[ July 20, 2002, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: wamphyri ]

LOL .. hehe .. i'm not from edmonton.. i'm not an oil worker smile.gif .. I lived in calgary for a few years... but i'm about 10 minutes south of lethbridge.. been almost most places in my province but prefere the small town/ rural life to any big city!

=)

Wamphyri

Gonzo:

Thanks for the post .. if you have any suggestions about what books I should read i'll follow them. I've played soo many wargames/RTS games that I feel ready but we all know that RTS knowledge leads you down a false road .. i'd be beat so fast if I used my kung-fu against any of you guys.. even if I played agianst the computer(as the demo shows).

I don't have any knowledge about proper infantry tactics (cover etc), or about how best to utilize Armor/non-armor units. So anything you guys have to suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Wamphyri!!

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

Over in the 'Tips & Tricks' or whatever Forum there's a Thread called 'Excellent Posts to read for Learning Things about Playing CM, especially for Noobs...' or some such, & it really is. Kept me busy for a while.

Strt

That is a good idea for our new friend wamphyri, here is the link mate

Newbie guide to CM

You will find there are answers to every question you could ever think of to ask archived in this message board.

The link above have as very large collection of previous forum posts set out extremely well. It would be as good a place as any to get "Up to speed" on Combat Mission.

Good luck and welcome to the board, soon you will be aCMillated.

Stix

Welcome to the forum Wamp. Yes it is a special forum - but then it's a special game. I just wanted to say that I agree about the mods. I had played this game for maybe a year and was well- getting a little bored with it until I discovered mods. I've been playing it now for over 2 years and don't get tired of it. To me the mods make the game, but that's me. Anyway, thought I'd mention it. See you around. smile.gif

Originally posted by wamphyri:

OMG .. I place a post on a forum for a 2 year old game and I have 3 replies within 15 minutes . . thats amazing.

I now feel that I picked the right game to purchase, i know i won't be disappointed if it has this kind of support from it's players.

I hope to play a few of you in MP games even if I know it's a lost cause. What better way to learn then by losing. (maybe that was hitler's reasoning behind the blitzkrieg( he didn't want gas attacks halting his advance), he was in the infantry(in think!) during WW1)(any errors in my info can be blamed on the discovery channel.. smile.gif )

Hope to lose to you soon ..

Wamphyri

What you probably don't realize yet is that you actually just bought two games. One is CMBO. The other is "CMBO the Board". You'll find yourself coming here almost daily, if not ten to thirty times daily. Then you'll discover the General Board and the Scenario Board and the Airborne Assault Board and the Strategic Command Board. Then you'll play lots of people in PBEM, probably get sucked into the Peng thread, get in a few glorious flame wars and hang around here discussing many more things than just CMBO.

All other computer games will forever pale in comparison and soon your wife (if you have one) will be happy you purchased CMBO because you no longer buy a new computer game every week. She will not be happy however that you play CMBO constantly and that you have to go check for those PBEM turns every few minutes. It's at that point you'll move the computer into the same room as the television so as not to make the interruptions so obvious.

Welcome aboard. Most of us have been playing the game for over two years! and the game is still "King of the Hill". Only CMBB will most likely knock CMBO down a notch.

yes, welcome aboard my friend to the show that never ends. you thought buying the game was all you had to do? you still have much work ahead of you. as others have stated, you need to get cmmos and all it's mods. then step over to scenario depot and you'll find bazillions of scenarios and ops to download. then play play play and learn how to win vs the puter. then find human opponents. this has an even larger "death" curve to master than vs. the puter. but it will all be fun, even when you lose, cuz it just looks and sounds so cool while you're doing it. anyway, you have chosen wisely grasshopper, and you are qualified to play the greatest wargame of all time(till sep 20th!)...

Welcome,

I too am fairly new to CM, been playing about a year. I am brand new to this forum as an active participant, but you could not have come to a better place. I have been playing war games since my father bought me "Gettysburg" by Avalon Hill, way back in another life time. There is no age requirement to accepted here. My son is your age, and since I turned him on to CM, we play IP games as often as possible.

The issue of women (either girlfriends or spouses) is a little tricky. All women want a man to devote all time possible to their needs. Cheating in any form, whether with another woman or in this case with CM is strictly VERBOTEN. They are not able to make the distinction, they only know that you are not paying attention to THEM. I have learned that CM is a very demanding mistress. There are constantly new and interesting things surrounding this game, if you get hooked here, you may never have the opportunity to MEET a girl. Just know that CM is probably the best tactical PC wargame ever produced, it may just be the best wargame ever. Just remember its not a bad thing to play games like this, wargamers are probably the best people on the planet. Again welcome, if you would like to play an IP game sometime, E-Mail me.

Well welcome aboard there young feller. Arways nice to see fresh mea, er ah, fresh blood come into the fold. Calgary huh. Hmm, I see ya's aready met the Michael Dorosh. Bagpipes, bah! Ain nuffin like a good banjo.

Now seeins how you interduced yerseff real nice an all I'll tell ya its a perty good bunch here see, lil twisted, but hey. Then there's that Peng bunch. They ain't really too bad, not nearly as the James-Younger gang but ya don't wanna mess with em see. Strange things go on in that there thread. You stick with us Grogs on the forum here now see and we'll show ya history, or if ya prefer we'll create it, but one way or the other no stone will be left unturned. Good to see ya here young whipper snapper.