No CD

I am playing CMBO only for PBEM's. I have so many cd's now that its a pain putting them away and digging them up. Anyone know of a NoCD patch/crack that works?

And for those that think this is only done by pirates, you would be wrong. Many people do it for exactly my reason, and TONS of people do it because their CD-ROM is incompatible with the game (Don't ask me how that happens in this day and age).

Anyhow any help would be great.

Originally posted by OG_Gleep:

I am playing CMBO only for PBEM's. I have so many cd's now that its a pain putting them away and digging them up. Anyone know of a NoCD patch/crack that works?

And for those that think this is only done by pirates, you would be wrong. Many people do it for exactly my reason, and TONS of people do it because their CD-ROM is incompatible with the game (Don't ask me how that happens in this day and age).

Anyhow any help would be great.

This'll be fun.....And I got front row tickets!

Oh, and Hi, mom!

This is a legitimate question, and I used to be a advocate of free downloadable software that creates a "phantom CD-Drive" on your hard drive to which you can mount a CD image.

However, due to the horror stories I've heard lately about piratz and crackz and warez, I am no longer a advocate of such things.

Originally posted by OG_Gleep:

To quote Hamlet (Act III, Scene II): "The lady protests too much, methinks."

Countdown to the visit of the Great Bald One and his dreaded padlock.... Anyone want to start a pool? Better yet, can we do it (citizen's lockdown) so that he is not bothered with this little stuff and he can continue coding.

[ August 01, 2002, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Zitadelle ]

We've had this discussion (locked down) before. Removing the CD Check from CMBO is a simple matter. I also wish there was a legitimate way to post the removal instructions, patch, or fixed binary... but there's not. Until Battlefront removes it, the only way to work around it is the CD-ROM emulator stuff. I'll never understand why companies think they have the right to render my CDROM unusable for any length of time, given the fact thatCDs are so easily copied. Does locking the CD in my drive actually accomplish anythything other than frustrate CMBO owners?

I understand Battlefront's need to protect their property from various types of piracy, but it would seem like an unlock code would work just as well for casual piracy and be less demanding to its customers. But we've had this discussion before.

You only need the CD in the drive to start CM. Once you start the program you can remove the CD until you need to restart CM. It really isn't that unreasonable for a software company to verify that you actually possess the software before using it. It's not like CM constantly needs to access the CD during gameplay requiring you to leave the CD in the drive at all times. Many people have more than one optical drive these days and CM stays in one of them at all times.

Okay, I know this has been discussed at great length, but the search engine returns a myriad results for a search on "copy," "protection," and other related terms, so I guess we have to go through it again, or until this one gets locked too.

Aren't legitimate CM purchasers legally entitled to make one backup copy of their CD? I get the impression you're a technologically savvy chap who has access to a CDR/RW drive, and could make a copy for safekeeping. That'd be what I'd do if I had a CD burner.

Of course, in all my time of playing CM (and moving my CD collection from here to there to somewhere else) I've never had even one CD get scratched so badly it couldn't be read.

DjB

It really isn't that unreasonable for a software company to verify that you actually possess the software before using it.
I didn't say it was. It is the matter in which they verify my owenership that disturbs me, the casual assumption that software companies can do whatever they like with my pc. I like to play CMBO on a touch screen pc that used to be a point of sale unit and as such it does not feature a cd-rom, nor is it easy to get one on it. Installing the software wasn't a problem, as it has a network card and I could map a CD-ROM from

another pc and install the software. However, a mapped drive does not report itself as a CD-ROM drive to inquiring software.

There is no way to legitimatly get CMBO to run on this pc. In the illegitmate category I could A.) remove the cd check or B.) Expend extra hd space and purchase ($$$) software that will allow me mount an image of the CMBO CD.

Either way, both Battlefront and I lose. They no longer have the opportunity to verify authenticity, and I've wasted time (or money vis-a-vis plan B) by removing it. There are other ways to combat casual piracy.

[ August 01, 2002, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: f1shlips ]

There are other ways to combat casual piracy.
I'm sure we would all love to hear how you have a system that costs the same or less and will do as much to deter casual game piracy. If this method is so much better, which other publishers/developers use it and does it cost them more than the scheme that BTS/BFC currently uses (remember that BFC/BTS's sales are comparitively small compared to other multimillion copy selling programs and therefore may not be able to justify very expensive encryption programs).

The simple fact of the matter is that 'CD copy protection' schemes are an industry standard. Perhaps you prefer a 'dongle' and all the issues that stem from that method of copy protection ? You and others may be disappointed at the requirements, but it does cut down on casual piracy. Almost any other method involves more money and/or more effort (and won't necessarily achieve the same results). Admittedly it would be nice to have another method to ensure that people playing the full version have actually paid for it. But almost any other method is even more easily compromised or more expensive.

Also you're not obliged to play CM. The software on your computer is not owned by you per say, but licensed with restrictions. BFC/BTS doesn't force you to do anything to your computer and it's proably one of the least invasive programs you can install. If the CD isn't in the computer, then you can't play CM. Outside of simply trusting everyone in the world that they won't get an illegal copy, this is one of the simpler ways to deter those who would copy a CD and pay nothing.

Copy protection is a necessity nowadays. Publishers/developers are having to resort to more and more esoteric methods of writing data to CDs to keep most (potential) casual customers honest. While hacks to the code to break copy protection schemes have become commonplace all they do in the end is make developers spend more money finding ways to make sure that their product isn't stolen. This in turn drives up costs to those who would actually pay. It also probably causes some sort of 'development stagnation' in the game development industry where no one would be willing to take the time and effort to develop games that won't be '1-million sellers' just because that's what it takes to cover the costs of development (copy protection schemes and encryption cost money).

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if your boss told you that you actually make 50% more money than you actually take home; "It just disappears somewhere in accounting so you only get 2/3's of it... too bad, we pay you too much already". Now imagine that would be the same response you get from every employer or buyer.

[ August 01, 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I don't think CM appeals to the crowd that likes to dowload warez and hacked software, but BTS aka BF.C has to stand their ground as does every other software company. Except for the CDV version, there is no real software protection on CMBO. It would be so easy to simply copy CM onto a machine and pass it on to a friend. It is also easy enough to make a copy of the CD. If someone has a situation where they have a legitimate copy of CM and have to go through otherwise "illegal" methods to get CM to run on their machine, then that is their business. However, BF.C doesn't have to allow those "illegal" methods to be discussed on this forum. I have read message boards for other games where people openly admit that they have a downloaded version of the game and then complain they got ripped off because they didn't think the game gave them the value they were expecting. There was a parody posted recently describing that sort of situation, but it really does happen. Give BF.C a break and let them have their minimal form of copy protection.

So does anyone have concrete comparable numbers of smilar games with and without "hard" copy protection and how many illegal copies are around of both of them?

The CMBO copy protection is very weak and doesn't really prevent anyone from burning a downloaded image. Following that, I find it irritating to require the presense of a CD which isn't really copy-protected in the first place.

As I said, since CMBO finds itself in secondary drives I can live with that. Except of course that the drive costs as much as a copy of CMBO, i.e. I could have given that money to BTS right away.

[ August 01, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

allo all,

I'd thought i'd give my 2cents on this issue. Im from the camp that believes that using a no-cd crack/patch, for personal use, is OK. Now I know many of you completely dissagree with this, and I don't blame you, but I have a few reason for my view. First, almost all cd burners you can buy these days are capable of doing an exact copy of any game, these copies have all the info on the cd intact that makes the game think it's an original cd, thus ruling out the need for even a no-cd crack for piracy purposes. Second, I HATE CD's =). I get annoyed realy easily when I wana play a game and I gota remove a cd .. find a place for it .. put the new cd in. Then in .5 hour i'm all done playing and wana play something else .. I gota rinse and repeat. kind of a pet peeve for me. I have no-cd cracks for every game I own (all 40+ of them).

Now, I fully understand that the copy protections are on there to help protect a companies product from potential piracy, and I am in no way condoning(sp?) the use of cracks for piracy purposes. However, for a power computer user like me swaping cd's in and out all the time is a real thorn in my side.

Anyhoo .. that's my 2cents on the subject. And from someone who got CMBO 2 days ago .. this game rocks.

Wamphyri

>I'm sure we would all love to hear how you have a system that costs the same or less and will do as much to deter casual game piracy

As I'm sure your aware, Microsoft tends to use some sort magick key for most of their end-user purchased software and of course there's the online stuff for registering WinXP (non bulk licenses of course, powerfull consumers like Dell wouldn't put up with it). I've got a bulk license for WinXP with Dell, who is the reseller, that states specifically in the contract that I must obtain ("fufillment" is the term they use in the contract) the media from somewhere else, they just give me the licenses. My ownership isn't verified by the CD, its done through another entity.

>Perhaps you prefer a 'dongle' and all the issues that stem from that method of copy protection ?

USB dongles aren't too bad for my needs, but they can be used to limit the software from running under emulation/binary replacement on other platforms. Also, I would assume that due to the cost they're obviously not realistic for a game like CMBO.

>Admittedly it would be nice to have another method to ensure that people playing the full version have actually paid for it. But almost any other method is even more easily compromised or more expensive.

It is trivial to copy a CD. It takes 5 minutes on my pc. 5 minutes to break something seems like something that could be categorized as 'easily compromised'.

>Also you're not obliged to play CM.

And their not obliged to sell it. In fact if no one sold their software, no one could steal it. It's the same argument on either side, the consumer and the content owner. I feel there are certain rights both sides are entitled to, unfortunatly those rights aren't codified into law yet, hence my vocal advocacy.

>The software on your computer is not owned by you per say,

Yes it is, if my computer gets stolen and the CMBO CD goes with it, I will be the one calling the police. It is my property, now I don't have an absolute right to do whatever I want with this property. Just like I can't build the brothel I've always wanted on the land I own, there's laws and regulations against it.

I think there should be laws and regulations against software companies doing whatever they can to limit my ability to run their software how I see fit. Other groups people agree with me, www.digitalconsumer.org is one such group of people.

>Copy protection is a necessity nowadays.

If you say so. Copy protection was apparently a necessity in the 80's and 90's too, I spent many times running through specific pages in manuals looking for code words or peering through red lenses at uncopyable peices of dark paper with slightly darker ink. I haven't seen that type of copy protection system in a while, I'd like to see the CD-ROM check disappear the same way.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if your boss told you that you actually make 50% more money than you actually take home; "It just disappears somewhere in accounting so you only get 2/3's of it... too bad, we pay you too much already". Now imagine that would be the same response you get from every employer or buyer.

That already happens to me -- they call it "taxes" and "FICA" and such. Blechh!

I think the guys whining about the necessity of the CD being in the drive to play the game must all be music majors.

Music majors, you see, are the sorts of people who, if given a car, would complain about the color.

Deal with it guys. Are there ways around the copy protection? Yes. Does BTS have to make it easier for people to evade the CD presence? No.

Oh -- and one more thing -- CMBO is not your property. The CD-ROM is simply given to you as part of your license to run the program. If it is stolen, you are technically reporting to the police that someone stole the 'container' of software you have licensed from BTS.

This is technical, but is an important distinction. If it were truly your property, you would have the right, say, to go in and change the code to make German Tigers unkillable (or Finnish Troops 30' high bullet resistant monsters). You don't have that privilege because it is not your property.

Steve

Originally posted by f1shlips:

Yes it is, if my computer gets stolen and the CMBO CD goes with it, I will be the one calling the police.

See my previous post.

I think there should be laws and regulations against software companies doing whatever they can to limit my ability to run their software how I see fit. Other groups people agree with me, www.digitalconsumer.org is one such group of people.
I'll be the first to defend your right to espouse this opinion, but also the first to tell you that you are simply shortsighted and wrong. Think about this. There is a reason that software programmers (an idealistic, and often anarchic, bunch) have, for the most part, not taken this approach -- it is generally not profitable. Sure, some people have written freeware -- but they do not expect to make a living off of it.

You are offered the opportunity to run the software as designed. If you do not wish to so run the software, you are not forced to so do -- but you can't legally run it in a manner not allowed by the licensor.

Steve

[ August 01, 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Well they could use the SafeDisc method that they're programming for CDV themselves (you may have to pay a little more for CMBB however). Admittedly the copy protection for CM is nowhere near what most other major publishers use. However all but one of those copy protection schemes can be overcome with a good CDRW and certain burning progams.

One of the more effective copy protection schemes is Microsoft's registration process used for Windows & Office XP. I'm sure a lot of people like it ( :mad: ). But it must cost a bit of money for Microsoft to maintain and develop. Nevertheless it probably does save them from a lot of losses that they would otherwise take due to piracy (which is obviously very pervasive for MS products). I consider CM's copy protection scheme very ameniable compared to MS's current scheme.

'Concrete and comparable numbers' don't really exist for individual programs, but here are some generalized numbers from KPMG done for SPA/SIIA regarding Internet piracy of any software and another article referring to gaming piracy from GameSpy. Anything that offers numbers is going to be a statistical extrapolation that will take various assumptions into account (which will obviously skew your view of the data's accuracy).

Unfortunately your willingness to pay more to BTS to forego copy protection doesn't translate to every purchaser of CM. BFC/BTS can just charge double the price and leave out copy protection and hope that sales don't suffer. While the current copy protection scheme is lack luster in actually preventing casual piracy now, the next alternative may be to go with SafeDisc - which some people have problems with.

>I'm sure a lot of people like it ( [Mad] ).

Well, I've said my piece, pimped out www.digitalconsumer.org. I could discuss this issue forever, and MrSpkrs erronious interpretation of the word property as it applies to this discussion really had me roused up.

But, we've had this discussion before and it really doesn't belong here.

In close and off topic, but I'd like to mention the Nevada Freedom Riders, a state lobbyist group I started with some friends. We're now 15 people strong (woohoo), but now we can cover ever day of the legislative session in person, unlike last session in which we missed 15 days of the 120.

You don't have to accept the things you don't like about this country, there are avenues to change them.

What a lot of tsjip tsjp over nothing.

1. Making a backup of your beloved CMBO is your RIGHT to do as a consumer as you make a copy of the container to preserve it.

2. Whats all the fuzz about? Make a disc image (as I did) and safely put away your CD

3.If someone asks you to copy the CMBO cd tell him to grow grass on a location where his moms spine ends up at the exit for used consumption.`

4. If you are asking how to avoid the protection to make an illegal copy, then you r a slut of the worst kind and I hope a lightning bolt will struck your testikels.

The only patches that are permitted to be discussed here are ones that WE release and talking about software cracks isn't going to win you any friends either.

CD's get worn out and sometimes die. There is nothing wrong with making an archival backup for your own personal use and there is also nothing to stop you from doing so.

Anyone that has legally purchased the game and has the CD go bad can also obtain a new copy of the media via our very accomodating replacement policy.

No CD cracks, while on the surface seeming to be harmless, are in fact just another way to make pirating our games and hardwork that much easier. And we will never permit that.

Madmatt