Advance Copies of CMBB to Webmasters?

I will join the chorus of greedy whiny people begging for bones, etc., with what I think is perhaps an idea of benefit to us all. Is there any chance that webmasters of sites that have shown themselves consistent supporters of CMBO, and now of CMBB, might be given the opportunity to purchase copies of CMBB in advance of the release date, so as to be able to produce specific content that will enhance the game for new purchasers? Not just mods and scenarios, but I am thinking also perhaps of being able to research stuff like bitmap and sound file listings for modders to use, etc. and being able to have this info on hand for the modding public once main sales are underway.

I am thinking obviously of der Kessel, Tom's, and all the usual suspects. Might be nice to have a bit of content out there on the sites ready to go for when players have the stuff in their hot little hands. I am trying to get historical content onto my GD site in anticipation of that, including info on all the satellite armies.

Just an idea...I presume you will be sending advance copies to game reviewers; this might be a way of also sending it to people you KNOW will review it highly and generate stuff for the entire community to enjoy.

What about lawyers that also run remotely CM-related websites? Do they get a double bonus?

I mean, if a regular webmaster *or* lawyer gets their copy 10 days before official release, shouldn't people that fill both tickets get their copy 20 days before release?

hmm...still pondering if Mr Dorosh was serious with this thread...or if he was being peng-thread-ish.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

So now that all the people with no discernible talent have responded, perhaps some serious discussion can take place? ;)

Dorosh, just to let you know, you were the one who started this topic so that would include you as well. ;) Anyway, if they did every person in the board would start a website. :D

[ April 27, 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Well, for us to send out advance copies to certain people, it would mean that we have to hold up shipment to the rest of you guys for a couple of weeks or so, else they wont be 'advanced'. Im not sure too many people would be too keen on that idea smile.gif

Dan

KR was trying to figure out how CM crams all those tanks into one tiny computer case.

Dude, you must've been dropped on your head shortly after birth. See, when you start playing CM, BTS sends all those tanks n stuff into your computer over the "Internet" (I hope you've heard the term before, because I don't have time to explain it in monosyllabic words). Then, when you stop playing, whatever units are left go back to BTS, where Steve and Charles play division-sized operations on a Cray supercomputer.

That's one of the reasons why CMBB is being delayed: Steve has to replace all the vehicles that get destroyed in CMBO battles, and the great success of CMBO is forcing him to work overtime. And it's only going to get worse in CMBB, because of the huge battles, and attrition, on the East Front. CMII (the rewrite) is going to be 2 years in coming for this reason.

DjB

Doug, very good explanation. Simple and to the point, few large sillybles. I would just like to add that for the rewrite, CMDeux, CM plans to overcome this hurdle by having the game actually "Build" both a barracks and a tank factory IN your computer's case, so you can spawn your own troops all day long! The only two drawbacks I know of are that 1) for larger battles, you need at least a week of preparation, during which point you computer cannot be distrubed, and 2) Fighter bombers must still be 'hand-flow' from an undisclosed airfield in Maine to your location. All in all, pretty good...

Originally posted by Panzerman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

So now that all the people with no discernible talent have responded, perhaps some serious discussion can take place? ;)

Dorosh, just to let you know, you were the one who started this topic so that would include you as well. ;) Anyway, if they did every person in the board would start a website. :D </font>

We are not worried about the initial success of CMBB and as such providing such support is not really worth the investment in time it would take. In the days following the release of CMBB there will be plenty of new material being posted. We have no doubt of that.

Now Michael, had you spent the last 2 years telling me how great I am, like Andreas and Mace, then you could have been a beta tester and you would have already seen how cool CMBB is. tongue.gif

Madmatt

p.s. It's too late now, but you can still praise me.

[ April 28, 2002, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

We are not worried about the initial success of CMBB and as such providing such support is not really worth the investment in time it would take. In the days following the release of CMBB there will be plenty of new material being posted. We have no doubt of that.

Now Michael, had you spent the last 2 years telling me how great I am, like Andreas and Mace, then you could have been a beta tester and you would have already seen how cool CMBB is. tongue.gif

Madmatt

Madmatt, for someone with as much obvious talent and business moxie as you, its beyond me why you feel the need to continue to troll the forum for praise. :rolleyes: No one likes a needy moderator!

Thanks for the reply, your logic does indeed make sense, just thought I would throw it out...everyone is understandably eager to get a jump on the fun. I am sure the premade scenarios alone will be enough to keep everyone hopping for the first month or so of the release.

Besides, we all know about your pro-Euro and anti-Canadian bias when it comes to selecting beta testers....

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Madmatt

madmatt is the greatest, he is the best

none compare, he is above the rest!

hmmm, two more years of that and 50 more verses and maybe i can be beta testing for cm iv: the one with cm II...

Now Michael, had you spent the last 2 years telling me how great I am, like Andreas and Mace, then you could have been a beta tester and you would have already seen how cool CMBB is.
Hey, cheeze man, I been a member-in-good-standing for almost 3 years now. I've never been in trouble, and am constantly on the ready to defend your good name against those who would besmirch your honor. I send an occasional email checking up on you, making sure you're all still sane. A couple years ago I offered my services in procuring new hardware; nothing came of it because I couldn't find what you were looking for. And what thanks do I get? Hmpf.

The kicker is, MadMatt, I know your (or at least BTS') phone #. But have I called and left erratic, threatening-in-a-vague-and-erratic way messages? No! I've been quiet and kindly, and I got bupkus.

DjB