Realistic Sturmtigers???

Homer

I played a self made scenario yesterday where an elite sturmtiger engaged about 1000 enemy soldiers in an open field. After the very first shot this monster killed over 500 of them, even units that where standing more than 200 Meters away from the explosion :eek: .

That's not realistic- is it???

PS: The rest of the soldiers surrendered after the first round...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's firing a bleedin' depth charge!

The blast value is an order of magnitude greater that a 150mm gun.

Now I might be wrong with the next bit, but the blast value represents lethality a certain distance from the impact point. Since the blast affects an area the killing power is actually proportional to the square of the blast value. Nasty.

Yeah, that muther is HUGE! Takes 2-3 minutes to load and what a BOOM! 330 (?) mm ain't nutin' ta sneeze at. Rare or not, fun to watch..until it bogs or breaks down :rolleyes:;)

Hehe, shock wave from one round from one in a scenario I made up sent a King Tiger to cautious status....just a wee bit too close for comfort ;)

[ September 26, 2002, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: pathfinder ]

I didn't see Charles's original post, but that's a good one. One step further: I bet there have been more armor engagements in the CM world than in all of WW2. This is why so many wierd things happen that seem like they shouldn't from a statistical perspective. Kind of like throwing 1000 monkeys in a room with a 1000 typewriters...

Originally posted by PawBroon:

As said by Charles:

The Sturmtiger has already seen more action in CMBB than it did in all of actual WW2.

Those things were designed to blow up entire houses in one shot:

225.jpg

The soldier's finger indicates the "line" between propellant and explosive warhead.

205.jpg

Just how wide is 380mm? :D

Caliber: 380mm

Weight (entire shell): 345 kgs

Warhead "payload" (TNT): 125 kgs

I guess the effect on soft targets in an open environment in the game is pretty realistic, especially if you fire into a huge crowd of infantry.

Sturmtigers were an absolute rarity for sure, but they did see combat in WW2, so I think it was a good idea to include them in the game.

More info (in german) on: www.tigerpanzer.de

Sascha

Originally posted by Homer:

I played a self made scenario yesterday where an elite sturmtiger engaged about 1000 enemy soldiers in an open field. After the very first shot this monster killed over 500 of them, even units that where standing more than 200 Meters away from the explosion :eek: .

That's not realistic- is it???

PS: The rest of the soldiers surrendered after the first round...

Fellas, unless things changed at the last moment, CM still doesn't model frag. 200m is in a lethal radius of a plain old 155mm round let alone some uber 380mm explosive luggy.

Units 500m away from this thing can expect cas..

It's worth noting that fragment density decreases with the square of radius, (it is after all, and ignoring the ends, an expanding distorted hollow shell of fragments), and that initial fragment velocity is dependent on the charge to wall mass ratio. the warhead is either a hollow charge projectile or HE, and approximates a very high capacity light case bomb or shell. BRL405 gives an approximate initial fragment velocity of perhaps 7000 fps depending on the actaual thickness of wall material (There is not enough data on my copy of the rocket schematic to tell). There would be 10 of thousands of middle body fragments, some small % of them capable of penetrating light (1") thicknesses of armour at considerable distances!

Keep it away from me!

I just tried the SturmTiger last night while playing the Germans. I have to say, it's awfully fun to use. I just laughed the first time I saw it target and hit a T-34. The explosion was immense. I can imagine the turret just flying off after getting hit by that round. Lucky for the Allies that there were very few of these around.

[ September 26, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

You have to love the Sturmtiger. I caused 131 infantry casualties with one in a QB (and not one where all the enemy infantry was conveniently bunched in an open field ;) ) and obliterated six buildings with one shot in another QB.

Word to the wise: keep your men and vehicles way the heck away when you fire. Two guys in one of my HQ units got wounded from standing around and chatting near the front of the Sturmtiger when it fired instead of rushing for the nearest concrete bunker. Another time, I fired at a platoon of Russians in the woods, killing about three squads in one shot but also inadvertently blowing up a nearby wood building with one of my squads in it. Guess they weren't beyond the mandatory 10km safe distance smile.gif

Originally posted by second amendment:

Speakin of turrets flying off....I have seen a catastrophic tank kill (one of mine of course) explosion in the demo and thought it looked pretty impressive. Does this game model turrets being blown off of tanks?

Seeing a turret spinning in the air would be an impressive graphic !

unfortunately, no. Maybe in the engine rewrite and CM3++

Oooohhh, SturmTiger. My new personal favorite gamey tank bit.

3 Qb's with 'em so far. QB #1 caused 162 out 282 casualties, QB #2 2 KV-2's and 2 T-34s plinked away at one for 2 turns, immobbilzed the tank and the crew bailed the next turn and all that Sturm did was get a T-34 to button up for 1/2 turn. There goes a whole bunch of wasted points. :(

QB #3 caused 180 out 282 causalities but this time held it back 'til I wiped out the 4 captured Panthers lurking around. Yes these things are lethal, heavily armored beasts but you can't park them in open ground with tanks roaming the battlefield and expect them to last very long. IMHO, BFC has tweaked the realism of tank crews bailing out rather nicely. GAWD I LOVE THIS GAME!!! :D

Originally posted by Sabrewolf:

I would imagine the shockwave of that kind of blast should be catastrophic for the human body

My thoughts exactly! Even if you weren't killed outright you were probably a gibberishing (and deaf!) idiot for quite some time. Nasty gun...

One thing that I saw playing around with the Sturmtiger was this: I had Panther nearby. When the Sturmtiger's gun went off, the Panther was "shocked" and the crew bailed out.

This was way back in my setup area and far out of range of any enemy units, so unless I missed something the shock had to be caused by the Sturmtiger's colossal blast.

Originally posted by Foreigner:

OK, we have one report of an immobilized and abandoned Sturmtiger, but has anyone succeeded in KO-ing one yet? I mean, through penetration or perforation or sending them IRS audit notices smile.gif ?

I can report that the 380mm shell will KO a Sturmtiger. I played a QB with 3 of the monsters and when I finished blowing up buildings and factories, I had them do some test firing at each other. Testing shows that:

1. The shell only needs to land nearby.

2. Buttoning up doesn't help. smile.gif

Originally posted by Ace Pilot: (excerpts)

I can report that the 380mm shell will KO a Sturmtiger. ... I had them do some test firing at each other.

Hmm, I can see it now - "Reservoir Tigers"... Didn't a Quentin-what-was-his-name-again make a scenario like that and where can I DL it? :D Was it CMBO-compatible? :confused:

I was looking more for reports on Allied countermeasures (apart from forcing BTS to make captured STs available to the Allies smile.gif ), but this is good too. Thanks, Ace Pilot!