Realistic Sturmtigers???

Homer

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Foreigner:

OK, we have one report of an immobilized and abandoned Sturmtiger, but has anyone succeeded in KO-ing one yet? I mean, through penetration or perforation or sending them IRS audit notices smile.gif ?

I can report that the 380mm shell will KO a Sturmtiger. I played a QB with 3 of the monsters and when I finished blowing up buildings and factories, I had them do some test firing at each other. Testing shows that:

1. The shell only needs to land nearby.

2. Buttoning up doesn't help. smile.gif </font>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of overkill against partisans, isn't it? IIRC the two that went to Poland went there to help put down the insurection of the Polish Home Army by turning Warsaw into a parking lot. That is what they were built for: Urban renewell.
It appears to me that the Germans loved overkill against partisans. Sturmtigers, flammpanzers, Goliaths... you name it, if it was excessive, they used it on the partisans.

Maybe the idea was to make resistance appear futile. I don't know.

Let us follow a single shot of the 380mm L/5 gun.

fire.jpg

whistle.jpg

ivan.jpg

boom.jpg

after.jpg

That was the first round fired with any weapon during the... Battle. 380 casualties. The eliminated units spread over the picture to the right...

[ October 22, 2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Ligur ]

That does seem kind of high as far as damage goes...to the uninitiated. I'm sure 380mm must be nasty...but it's rough to think that the shrapnel and shock waves really reach that far.

Your pic reminds me of the guy who was doing some heavy arty tests using the scenario editor...he "surrendered" after firing some 14" battleship arty once he saw every enemy unit on the map running for the 1 non-"open ground" brush tile!!!

Originally posted by Commander:

What I would like to know is how the hell did they load the gun? You would need a crane or something! What was worse, getting sent to the Russian front or being a loader on the SturmTiger? :eek:

Originally posted by Lindan:

Reload time for an experienced crew was ~12minutes. It was loaded from the front using a crane.

(yes, that would be 12 turns to reload)

IIRC, it carried two cranes, one external and one internal. The external crane was used for bringing the rockets onboard. The internal crane was mounted on the ceiling and used a trolly for moving the rounds to the breach. It was NOT loaded from the front. It typically took 8-10 minutes to load. In CMBB it takes only 3-4 turns and this should be corrected for balance.

Originally posted by Foreigner

OK, we have one report of an immobilized and abandoned Sturmtiger, but has anyone succeeded in KO-ing one yet?
Still not quite the phase where I buy as many different types of armor units see what works against what. But I can say that the following have all KO'd Sturmtigers; Captured Panthers, Stuarts and Valentine(sic). The last one was the newer version. The Stuart and Valentines had 3-4 tanks plicking away on the flanks, <150 meters, and the Panthers got side shots, 400-600 meters, when the AI turned to move to a flag.