Initial Impressions of Strategy Guide

Originally posted by Terrapin:

Hey, loser. Have you contributed ANYTHING of substance to this forum, since you got here? Do you even OWN the game (you've never posted about it)? Oh, BTW, I've had plenty of TalonSoft products, and they have plenty of bugs and typos, so do you even own any of THOSE games either?

I thought you were leaving this thread for good. Either way, I don't see you on this forum too much longer.

P.S. Moon, why don't you check this guy's IP address against "XXX Fool" that you banned recently.

Charming attitude...did you accidentally sit down on a cattle prod or something?

[ December 14, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Leutnant Hortlund ]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

No, I dont think so. I know him from another forum, and he never trolled there. At least nothing I ever noticed.

Check again. Or are statements (in this thread ALONE) like

Looks like the suits are trying to get their piece of the Christmas pie.
Your idea of high conversation and cogent argument?

I see that you have nearly the same writing style and argument as SirLoinofBeef, as well. ;)

[ December 14, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Terrapin ]

Mr Beef may just have a beef, and I think I share your opinion, Terrapin, that his accusations, if I may call them that, are trivial and unfounded (in this instance, anyway).

Nevertheless, I also don't believe he's a troll. Even if he was, your type of response is exactly what trolls troll for. I think, for the sake of this forum, which is unusually mature compared to so many others out there, best to be civil to or just ignore those who oviously won't get the point.

Respectfully,

Rich

Excellent book for the price.

CMBB players will enjoy the guide very much.

Delivery time was scary! Like four days. I live in Birmingham, Al.

More typos in the book than I have seen before in other strat guides but manageable.

It is just fun reading the book and putzing around with the units.

All said I am extremely glad to have ordered the book and hope that Mark will do another one of these days when another CM game comes out.

Well... I'm coming late to this discussion, but I thought I would add 2 bits worth of commentary.

First of all, the "this should have been included in the manual because the game is unplayable without it" nonsense is just that... nonsense. CMBO's manual didn't have any of this stuff in it, nor did we release a Strategy Guide. Yet by some fluke of luck, apparently people were able to play it just fine without it. If we had not released a Strategy Guide for CMBB I suspect people would have no problem playing it.

Why wasn't the stuff in the SG in the manual? I think Martin and Mark have done a good job fleshing that out. But I'll add a bit more... because the SG was an effort as great as the manual itself. If it was just a bunch of charts thrown in that we had lying around, yeah... it would be a total ripoff to have to pay for such a thing. But that is not what the SG is and therefore such thinking is fundamentally flawed.

"$15 is a ripoff!". Well, we think it is a really good price. This book is bigger than most strategy guides I have ever seen, and the price is less than some. If we were forced to charge less we wouldn't have done it because it simply wouldn't have been worth the effort.

The amount the SG costs when all is said and done is something we can not control. Shipping, exchange rates, and possible Customs Duties are all completely unrelated to the book. If the average paycheck in Nambia can't cover the expense, should we lower the price? I think not so why should we peg the price to what a Canadian, or anybody else, feels like paying?

Hmmm... let's see... what else...

OH! Yes, our "corporate greed". Well, even though we arguably put out better quality and more innovative products than the big companies do, and support them like none of them do, I suppose our company goal should be to just barely break even. I mean, all that effort and dedication really shouldn't be rewarded now should it? Phooey smile.gif

As for typos etc... well, I have purchased plenty of books, put out by big publishing houses with big name authors on the cover, and have seen typos. I am not excusing whatever mistakes there are in the SG, just pointing out that finding some is not unusual. Even 10 proof readers can not equal thousands of fresh sets of eyes. All mistakes found will be corrected for the next run.

Finally, this is a free world. If you don't think the SG is worth it... don't buy it. Simple as that.

Steve

Originally posted by SirLoinOfBeef:

Don't bring your preconceived notions into this community. In almost 20+ years of buying games and dealing with game companies, Battlefronthas been and always will be the best customer service oriented gaming company I have ever experienced.

:mad: shakes his head, sighs, and walks away :mad:

Leutnant Hortlund ,

But if we are supposed to figure it out for ourselves, and that is the reason they didnt put it in the manual...then why the he** give out a tips and tricks book?
For the same reason you can go and buy a book that tells you EXACTLY how to beat each and every level/scenario of Super Mario Brothers, Quake III, SimCity, etc. Some people either don't want to figure stuff out or, more commonly, want to figure out what they missed after they tried it on their own. This concept has been around for... uhm... something like 20 years or so? I think I even recall Strategy Guides for Infocom games. It is not everybody's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean this is a flawed concept.

Oh... and before anybody says it, if it hasn't been said already...

When we made the manual not a single thought was made in regards to the Strategy Guide. In other words, we did NOT leave out stuff in the manual so we could have something to put in the Strategy Guide. If the CMBB manual had been 500 pages I am sure, given time and unlimited resources, a 1000 page Strategy Guide could still have been made. In other words... there is plenty of info available for a SG no matter what was in the manual, therefore nothing in the manual was deliberately left out.

Terrapin,

P.S. Moon, why don't you check this guy's IP address against "XXX Fool" that you banned recently.
No, SirLoinOfBeef isn't that loser as far as I can tell. Just someone who has a chip on their shoulder. Nothing new to see here smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

the "this should have been included in the manual because the game is unplayable without it" nonsense is just that... nonsense.

Well, the game is certainly not unplayable without that information. However, personally I am of the opinion that basic stuff like how units recover from shaken status should have been included in the game manual.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that it's fun to own STUFF. And it's especially fun to own Combat Mission® Stuff. I like CMBO and CMBB and expect to enjoy owning and perusing a printed Strategy Guide to the game. If they released action figures I'd probably get them too. If they cut a deal with McDonalds I'd probably start buying Happy Meals. I just can't believe people are bitching, moaning and whining because BFC is putting out an extra, bonus product which it's our 100% free choice to reject or cherish. :rolleyes:

"But oh" they whimper, "this or that wasn't in the manual, the cheap, conniving fiends!" Gimme a break. What other game has a manual that even comes close to CMBBs? Show me one, one single one! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

God Da**it! I bought the Combat Mission Coffee Mug, but I can still drink coffee out of my old mug! What's up with that?!?! In fact, my old mug holds more coffee than my shiny new CM mug! Sheesh, I might as well start swilling it right from the pot

Cool, where do you get the mug from I want one. Then I can put it on the new tables I get free with the new CMBB stratergy guide. I think they would look best in the living room. :D

That mug would go very nicely with my B24 Liberator, two Royal Tank Corps, Orkney Battleship Wrecks, and Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry mugs. Where can I get one?

I somehow knew Combat Mission is a mug's game (painful groans in the auditorium)... :D

[ December 15, 2002, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

the "this should have been included in the manual because the game is unplayable without it" nonsense is just that... nonsense.

Well, the game is certainly not unplayable without that information. However, personally I am of the opinion that basic stuff like how units recover from shaken status should have been included in the game manual.</font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

If the average paycheck in Nambia can't cover the expense, should we lower the price? I think not so why should we peg the price to what a Canadian, or anybody else, feels like paying?

Steve

Ok. If I send a copy of my paycheck here in Argentina, may you consider to send me the Strategy Guide for free and deduct it from taxes as charity?

Just an idea :D