Initial Impressions of Strategy Guide

I've read a couple of chapters of the strat guide and it is very informative. However, I came across a number of typos. This is my biggest gripe with the book. So far the proofreading is lacking but the information in the book is very helpful.

Originally posted by Terrapin:

[QB]They could have done some more proof-reading on the book. I mean, there's a typo on the BACK COVER, and the space formatting on bullet-points is, er, never the same twice! :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ted:

The tips can be informative. One such, for me anyway, was that “Shaken” units rally faster if you give them the hide command.

WTF...

So can someone give me a good reason as to why information like that was left out of the users manual that comes with the game?</font>

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Terrapin:

If they put it in the manual you wouldn't have to buy the book. smile.gif

AKA the "Morrowind Principle". BTS will have to go a LONG way to beat Bethesda Soft in this regard. :mad: </font>

For example.The manual should state things like the IS2's rate of fire(very important)...So I can compare it to say a t34/85 so I can make the right choice when purchasing units...Looks like the suits are trying to get their piece of the Christmas pie.

[ December 13, 2002, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: SirLoinOfBeef ]

Originally posted by SirLoinOfBeef:

For example.The manual should state things like the IS2's rate of fire...So I can compare it to say a t34/85 so I can make the right choice when purchasing units.

Or do what I do and explore the game a bit by making your own scenario that faces off multiple tanks against each other and see the result. My conclusion: The IS-2 gets outshot 4-1 by a T34, but can kill it at 1500 meters, so don't get close to the T34. And it was a DAMN fune experiment (just WATCHING a T34 bounce shell after shell off the impervious IS-2 at 1200 meters was worth it) :D

I do this with infantry squads too, to see, at a particular range with no cover, what group can outshoot what other group.

Must everyone have everything handed to them on a platter nowadays?

Looks like the suits are trying to get their piece of the Christmas pie.

Give me an F'ing break! What an asinine statement!

Yeah, the "Suits" (read: Steve, Charles and Marty), are so interested in lining their pockets, that they spend all of their time listening to idiots like us complain about the proper paint-job on the August 42 Kubelwagen, and try to make a fantastic game that gives a compatively **very small** amount of hard-core gamers woodies. Why don't you think any major studio makes real strategy games anymore?

They could use their programming, research and game design skills to make a pure RTS "strategy" game with Orcs and Undead and sell 10 times as many copies. You don't think that with a little effort they couldn't "mass marketize" this game? It already has better graphics, sound, and gameplay than 95% of the games sold at Best Buy.

This is going nowhere..I resign from this thread.

Good decision. A conscript routed by IS-2 MG fire should only be so clever.

Give our best to the Field Kitchen for us!

[ December 13, 2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Terrapin ]

The tips can be informative. One such, for me anyway, was that “Shaken” units rally faster if you give them the hide command.

WTF...

So can someone give me a good reason as to why information like that was left out of the users manual that comes with the game?</font>

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Its an "Easter Egg" kind of thing

the Designers have a warped sense of humour about these things and actually like you (the player) to have to struggle, get your ass kicked a few times ;) and figure this stuff out for your self.

more later

-tom w

But if we are supposed to figure it out for ourselves, and that is the reason they didnt put it in the manual...then why the he** give out a tips and tricks book?

But if we are supposed to figure it out for ourselves, and that is the reason they didnt put it in the manual...then why the he** give out a tips and tricks book?

Why do you assume that everyone is a clone of everyone else and thinks the same exact way? Some people want extra help and tips, and some people want to be left alone. If you put it in the manual, everyone gets every tip. If you allow other people the option of buying extra help, those people will be happy and everyone will be happy.

Are you going to buy a book or not? ;)

Originally posted by Terrapin:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Why do you assume that everyone is a clone of everyone else and thinks the same exact way? Some people want extra help and tips, and some people want to be left alone. If you put it in the manual, everyone gets every tip. If you allow other people the option of buying extra help, those people will be happy and everyone will be happy.

Are you going to buy a book or not? ;) </font>