Initial Impressions of Strategy Guide

5 Days shipping, not too bad.

Here's some quick impressions:

1. The Unit Data tables are excellent. Has infantry, guns, and AFVs. Laid out very well, and is worth the $15 alone.

2. I love the nice, descriptive, bibliography in the back for those of us who want some more background. Even has little clips or descriptions of interesting things in each book. Well done.

3. The book has some nice use of data. I.e., tables of actual HQ ranges for different types. Response times. The effect that hot weather has on fatigue recovery time (in percentages - Panzer Leader will love it! ;) )

4. The "Scenario Tips" is well done, and very handy, with input from Andreas.

5. Has an impressive list (so far from just minor reading) of little tidbits in the game (like why infanty never really runs out of ammo -- some of you already know), or what happens to the ammo when you move a mortar. Things like that are nice, and would be tough to find in the forum.

Overall, I'm impressed. If you're a true grog who has played CMBO for two years, you probably could care less about the tactics stuff, but the unit tables are worth it for their handy format.

For everyone else, it's worth it, if you're not in Canada and paying evidently $200 and three weeks for customs charges! ;)

P.S. -- I think anyone who has the book should refrain from posting "spoilers" concerning actual data from it (unless it's available anywise, like unit data), since they went through a lot of time and effort on it, and deserve something for that effort.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much my take on it. There's nothing new in there that experienced players who follow the forums aren't aware of, but the unit data tables are realllllllly nice.

There are also some bits of information in there that are either incorrect, or not stated in a complete manner so as to leave an inaccurate impression of game mechanics. Nothing big though that a quick forum search wouldn't correct.

For a new player, I'd highly reccommend it. It provides nice, detailed walk-through tutorials based on several of the CD Missions. In fact, I may well purchase a couple copies for some friends who recently bought CMBB.

They could have done some more proof-reading on the book. I mean, there's a typo on the BACK COVER, and the space formatting on bullet-points is, er, never the same twice! :D

There's also one Panzergrenadier platoon that shows a firepower rating of 410 at 500 meters. They must be using the very rare Plasma Rifle available late war. ;)

Maybe they can clean this up for the second run.

One interesting thing is that Andreas and I are both in the Energy industry, according to his bio in the book. What are the odds? :D

[ December 13, 2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Terrapin ]

Originally posted by Terrapin:

One interesting thing is that Andreas and I are both in the Energy industry, according to his bio in the book. What are the odds? :D

High - I am sure we are both sad people with no life.

What are you doing, and do you have any jobs for a frustrated Policy Analyst?

Hear what others have to say about him: Oh, Andreas?!

</font>

• does not play well with others </font>
  • runs with scissors </font>
  • eats paste </font>
  • doesn't suffer fools gladly </font>
  • a bit awkward </font>

:D

Thanks for the comments on the book, guys. Glad you like it! As said before, it's hard to please everyone and a focus has to be set, but I think Mark did a great job of providing interesting information for new players as well as seasoned players.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is - if you spot inaccuracies or typos in the Guide, please email me at martin@battlefront.com if and when you can. Include the page number and a SHORT description of what's wrong.

Chances are we will be going into a 2nd Edition sooner or later (ahem, sooner if you guys keep ordering at the current pace), so it would be great to be able to correct as much as possible, and my two tired eyes won't catch as much as the "collective"...

Thanks!

Martin

Originally posted by Andreas:

High - I am sure we are both sad people with no life.

True dat.

What are you doing, and do you have any jobs for a frustrated Policy Analyst?
Do you have any jobs for a frustrated Power Market Analyst, in a U.S. market that has been brewed up worse than a PzKw II facing off against a KV-1? :D

But of course, you're in the U.K., so we're in the same boat. ;)

:D:D:D

Just got my copy. A well constructed book with text that us old farts with bifocals can read quite easily.

Part4-From the Horse's Mouth is a great question and answer section I will definitely be reading in depth :D

They should have called this book "CMB2B for Dummies" This book is on the same great quality level as the "For Dummies" books that I purchase-only it is 10 to 15 bucks cheaper.If you dont get this book you are going to kick yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

;)

5 Days shipping, not too bad.

Here's some quick impressions:

1. The Unit Data tables are excellent. Has infantry, guns, and AFVs. Laid out very well, and is worth the $15 alone.

2. I love the nice, descriptive, bibliography in the back for those of us who want some more background. Even has little clips or descriptions of interesting things in each book. Well done.

3. The book has some nice use of data. I.e., tables of actual HQ ranges for different types. Response times. The effect that hot weather has on fatigue recovery time (in percentages - Panzer Leader will love it! ;) )

4. The "Scenario Tips" is well done, and very handy, with input from Andreas.

5. Has an impressive list (so far from just minor reading) of little tidbits in the game (like why infanty never really runs out of ammo -- some of you already know), or what happens to the ammo when you move a mortar. Things like that are nice, and would be tough to find in the forum.

Overall, I'm impressed. If you're a true grog who has played CMBO for two years, you probably could care less about the tactics stuff, but the unit tables are worth it for their handy format.

For everyone else, it's worth it, if you're not in Canada and paying evidently $200 and three weeks for customs charges! ;)

P.S. -- I think anyone who has the book should refrain from posting "spoilers" concerning actual data from it (unless it's available anywise, like unit data), since they went through a lot of time and effort on it, and deserve something for that effort.

[ December 13, 2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Mykol ]

Originally posted by Mykol:

Terrapin, regarding your shippings costs to Canada. Could you tell me what they docked you at customs and how long it took.

I live in Boston, MA. But people have mentioned the cost of the book in Canada (it's $40 canadian) and the slow customs orders (up to 3 weeks), so I was referencing that.

I’ve just finished the 1st chapter.

The 1st chapter should be very familiar to the vets of CM with ideas such as keeping your units in command range of HQ’s.

The tips can be informative. One such, for me anyway, was that “Shaken” units rally faster if you give them the hide command.

It also seems to be a good insight into how units will react / respond given different stimuli.

I would highly recommend it. I think anyone at any skill level who reads it will become a better player for it.

Terrapin, you weren’t selling any electricity to California recently have you?

Originally posted by Ted:

The tips can be informative. One such, for me anyway, was that “Shaken” units rally faster if you give them the hide command.

Interesting! I had begun to wonder about that. In a QB I am currently playing I had some of my guys freak out after getting shot at while crossing some open terrain (no casualties). So after canceling their self-imposed Sneak order, I gave them a Hide order. When I came back to check them next turn, they had got their act together and perked right up. This happened a couple of times.

Michael

Yes, Chapter 14: The Art of Scenario Design, including an interview/hints section with/from the Grand Master of Scenario Design Himveryself -
Oh goody. We can exhaustively analyse it in an attempt to gain insight on what "cards" our opponents might be holding in each future Rune scenario.

Hopefully the chapter is at least 300 pages in length and contains at an outline of his medical history, in addition to a report from a competent mental health professional.

[ December 13, 2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Originally posted by Ted:

WTF...

So can someone give me a good reason as to why information like that was left out of the users manual that comes with the game?

[ December 13, 2002, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Leutnant Hortlund ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mykol:

Terrapin, regarding your shippings costs to Canada. Could you tell me what they docked you at customs and how long it took.

I live in Boston, MA. But people have mentioned the cost of the book in Canada (it's $40 canadian) and the slow customs orders (up to 3 weeks), so I was referencing that.</font>

Originally posted by Mykol:

By the way, what is the bogging ratio for a cross-border mail transport (from US to Canada) in heavy forrest? Maybe that explains the high cost, especially when the crew is conscripted.

Just my 2 (Euro) Cents.

[ December 13, 2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Da Beginna ]