32 megs vs 64 megs vs 128 megs

Vox,

If you don't need the bleeding edge, I might suggest a Ti4200-128 meg. These (as of about 6 weeks ago & they are probably cheaper now) were $160 plus shipping from FTI, New Egg, or TWCO.

4200-128s are good bang for the buck. :D

Cheers, Richard tongue.gif

Because there are a lot of laptops out there that have less than 32Mb of VRAM. Don't worry that somehow your 64Mb or 128Mb video card will have its VRAM underutilized... it will definitely be busy.

If you feel that the default textures still don't tax your video card enough, then just wait a little while and there'll be plenty of mods...

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Because there are a lot of laptops out there that have less than 32Mb of VRAM.

Hello,

Not buying it!

My statement was backward compatibility of 8 mgs.

I think BTS under estimated the technology jump. CMBB has not been released yet and it is already outdated :confused:

Originally posted by Voxman:

I think BTS under estimated the technology jump. CMBB has not been released yet and it is already outdated

Why? It looks good and more importantly plays well. So how does that add up to outdated?

One thing I think you need to understand is that BTS has a long standing policy of trying to produce games that will run on machines that are more than two years old. Not everybody interested in buying and playing good wargames buys a new machine every year. BFC intends to have something to offer that audience.

Michael

Not buying it ? So what.

Perhaps you would like to lead a crusade and convince everyone here that they shouldn't buy CMBB because it doesn't meet your asthetic standards.

Do you think everyone out there is buying 128Mb video cards right now ?! Perhaps BTS/BFC can just come out with the minimum specs of a P4 2.53GHz or a Mac G4 Dual 800MHz and be done with it. That way they can develop the game as they think it should be and not cater to some whiney person who is too poor to afford the latest hardware ! Believe me, 8Mb is definitely the minimum and most people will want a video card with more video memory. 32Mb of VRAM was the 'target' when CMBB was created. They pushed the limits of 32Mb with CMBB and anything lower is going to downsample the textures (grass and backgrounds predominately, buildings and vehicles after that).

Developing a game and catering it only to the latest hardware is not a good idea. Perhaps this Half Life Gamer's Survey will give you an idea of what is actually a common system. While this info may not be 100% accurate since things change, it does give you some sobering info as to how much market share slower computers actually have.

CMBB doesn't necessarily cater to gamers who are typically 14-30 year old males who have the cash and time to always upgrade their computers. The next issue beyond this is that CMBB is still based on the CMBO engine and while a lot of graphical improvements have been put it, a number of other graphical improvements (32 bit color, etc.) are not possible with the current engine.

[ August 15, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I agree. I would have been sorely disappointed with BTS had they required bleeding edge technology.

I'm playing CMBO on an outdated system ( by today's standards ) with an NVidia 32MB video card. It runs beautifully.

I've been as excited as anyone about CMBB and I must say I was very happy to hear that CMBB sounds like it will continue to run just fine on my current system. Eastern front theater, improved graphics, added features, etc., were all things that made me very excited to get my hands on the upcoming release; but nothing made me happier than hearing that I wouldn't be forced to upgrade my hardware before buying the game.

Good job guys. smile.gif

I'm sure I'll get crucified for this by some of the Modders (to whom we all owe so much), but it's all about the mechanics.

The majority of the people who play CM play it because it is the most realistic simulation available. Until this week, I played the game essentially with factory graphics. I'd pay $45, in fact quite a bit more, for CMBB if its graphics were no better than CMBO out of the shrink wrap for the extra commands, features, units and realism.

To me, realism is measured in amount of things that work in reality working in the game (and things that don't work not working), not frame rates and pixels per square inch.

Originally posted by Slappy:

I'd pay $45, in fact quite a bit more, for CMBB if its graphics were no better than CMBO out of the shrink wrap for the extra commands, features, units and realism.

I'm witchoo, Slappy!

As for the modding thing: had CMBO been a 'beautiful' game to look at right from the start I don't think we'd have a community like we've had for the last two years.

Not everybody interested in buying and playing good wargames buys a new machine every year. BFC intends to have something to offer that audience.

Michael[/QB]

Are you trying to say that BFC _didn't_ continue adding lens flare effects untill the game required a 128 meg card? Is that in the FAQ?

I think BTS under estimated the technology jump. CMBB has not been released yet and it is already outdated :confused:

Are you a beta tester?? Have you played CMBB yet at one of the preview parties??

I would humbly suggest that whether or not CMBB is 'outdated' has more to do with what you actually see and experience while playing the game, and not whether it is capable of using every last bit of processing power in the latest graphics card.

Me and my 64MB setup (until quite recently, cutting edge) will evaluate CMBB based on how much I enjoy playing it when it shows up.

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Not everybody interested in buying and playing good wargames buys a new machine every year. BFC intends to have something to offer that audience.

Michael

Are you trying to say that BFC _didn't_ continue adding lens flare effects untill the game required a 128 meg card? Is that in the FAQ?</font>

]I'm afraid I don't understand your question or see how it relates to my statement.
That's because you aren't "thinking sarcastic". Which is, of course, to your credit.

I sense that you are dissatisfied about something and I don't want you to go away from the discussion feeling that way if I can be of help.

Michael[/QB]

...unless maybe _that_ was (gentle) sarcasm.

That's the trouble with being sarcastic, isn't it? After you do it you can never be certain that any replies are even more saracstic. Well, we all have our crosses to bear.

(Just to be clear, for once, the sarcasm was directed in the general direction of the "CMBB must challenge my graphics card" concept, not you.)

[ August 16, 2002, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Not buying it ? So what.

Perhaps you would like to lead a crusade and convince everyone here that they shouldn't buy CMBB because it doesn't meet your asthetic standards.

Do you think everyone out there is buying 128Mb video cards right now ?! Perhaps BTS/BFC can just come out with the minimum specs of a P4 2.53GHz or a Mac G4 Dual 800MHz and be done with it. That way they can develop the game as they think it should be and not cater to some whiney person who is too poor to afford the latest hardware ! Believe me, 8Mb is definitely the minimum and most people will want a video card with more video memory. 32Mb of VRAM was the 'target' when CMBB was created. They pushed the limits of 32Mb with CMBB and anything lower is going to downsample the textures (grass and backgrounds predominately, buildings and vehicles after that).

Developing a game and catering it only to the latest hardware is not a good idea. Perhaps this Half Life Gamer's Survey will give you an idea of what is actually a common system. While this info may not be 100% accurate since things change, it does give you some sobering info as to how much market share slower computers actually have.

CMBB doesn't necessarily cater to gamers who are typically 14-30 year old males who have the cash and time to always upgrade their computers. The next issue beyond this is that CMBB is still based on the CMBO engine and while a lot of graphical improvements have been put it, a number of other graphical improvements (32 bit color, etc.) are not possible with the current engine

Voxman is entitled to his opinion. Why jump to the defense of the game - if it is as good as you suggest, it will defend itself in due course.

[ August 16, 2002, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: krm ]

I am considering upgrading my video card and I notice the standard is now 64 megs soon to be replaced by 128 megs.

Why did not BTS use 64 megs with backward compatibility to 8 megs.

Seems like they blew it on this one !!

Voxman

Sorry, but what do you mean with 'is not using 64 megs'?

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

...unless maybe _that_ was (gentle) sarcasm.

That's the trouble with being sarcastic, isn't it? After you do it you can never be certain that any replies are even more saracstic. Well, we all have our crosses to bear.

(Just to be clear, for once, the sarcasm was directed in the general direction of the "CMBB must challenge my graphics card" concept, not you.)

Oh, okay. That's cool. I just thought maybe you were having a little trouble with your English.

;)

Michael

When the CMBO beta came out I changed my 486 for a P3. I have upgraded the original 16meg sound card to a Vodoo 5500. That was done to load all the mods. But that's just me. 3D graphics are a big thing, sure. But it really is the level of weapon accuracy and "realism" found under the hood that makes the game "The Game" to play. That BTS understand it's niche well is commendable. That they aren't crawling out on the bleeding edge is a relief!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion...even an un-informed one. But when one places that opinion on a public forum it is perfectly natural to find a desenter or two. For the record: I've seen the game and it is a beauty to behold a sensation to play, and will prove to be the most accurate wargame yet developed.