Anyone getting tired of WWII settings?

istari

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading about those Indo-Pakistani battles, I think it'd be pretty cool to fight with them in CMX2.

I'll never get tired of WWII, but I would like to see CM move beyond. I mean honestly, I think they've done such a great job on two of the major fronts of the war (soon to do a brilliant job on a 3rd) that I really can't say that I'd be thrilled to revisit them, even with a new engine. And as mentioned by BFC before, WW2 in the Pacific wasn't all that interesting (outside of Guadalcanal) for this type of wargame. What new ground is left for a WWII CM game? I'd much prefer seeing something new.

If we're going back to central Europe with the new engine, I'd like to do it with M-48s and T-62s on my flanks. Or into the sands of Israel and Southern Asia.

Even though WWII seems to be flogged a bit, I think that with better graphics and locations with real elevation and scenery and hopefully destructible environment any time frame will do.

I would like to see a series like total war but with the same detail and this series. But is the information available for the game makers to put the detail into another time.

I thought I saw somewhere that the reason the game is so good was the designer's knowledge of the time and places they choose for series.

But whatever comes out considering what has been produced I think it will be good.

I will put my plug in for Linux support, I think cross platform support should be pushed for.

Looking forward to the day when the CM engine will let me give verbal commands from my bunker to those field commanders...........like hold and defend those woods on map reference......, and then wait for reports and watch the film.....until then hope the guys keep working on the CM engines for WW2!

Just love this period and this game!

Just a comment on the Pacific war. I think scenarios based on it would be successful. Particularly the New Guinea campaign, Malaysia, Burma, Okinawa and Saipan - where some maneuever took place. The amphib assaults on say Betio, would have limited appeal.

Then of course you also have the massive war between the Chinese and Japanese - a forgotten front of rather large proportions!

With that all said, I'd be happy fighting CM in virtually any arena - except maybe Cold war with tactical nukes. I can see setting up a 5,000 pointer only to have a 2 kiloton yield FROG come whipping in...air burst - retch

Originally posted by Hans:

Sokol

Glad to have your expertise around. Do you have information on the Saudi units that were destroyed by the Israelis in your area of interest? I wanted to make that into a Scenario if possible.

Unfortunately I'm located in the middle east in an, "information well" and I find it nearly impossible to get reliable western based data on 48-49. Some luck with maps and very general OOBs thru Arabic sources however.

Now that the "revisionist" Israelis (the ones who thought that the Israelis somehow secretly controlled the whole war and knew exactly what was happening everywhere at all times) are being refuted and the Israeli intelligence and diplomatic archives are open for the period...there's a lot coming out. Enough to suggest that by say September 1948 all of the Arab armies (except for the Egyptians) were surviving only by bluffing and the UN's various pressures on Israel. This was because only the Israelis and the Egyptians had any real logistical structures (or much ammunition and spares left at all for that matter) and only the Israelis had some sort of arrangements for assembling and training large formations of new regular troops. This kind of reduces the interest in simulating the war as it actually occurred except on the Egyptian front.

Oh....so the Saudi companies. I have the vague impression they ended up on the coastal part of the front and I don't recall their being destroyed, though the final big battles around Rafa were bloody enough to have finished them off. There were several types of semi-regular troops operating under Egyptian command (such as the Moslem Brotherhood) and the Saudis seem to have been the most regular of the semi-regulars.

Hi Sokol

Interestingly enough modern Saudi military I know refuse to believe they had anyone there in Palestine at that time - they also are split on whether they actually intervened in the 1973 war.

Should you come across any details on those 'lost' Saudis I would appreciate the reference or info.

Thanks

Originally posted by Hans:

Hi Sokol

Interestingly enough modern Saudi military I know refuse to believe they had anyone there in Palestine at that time - they also are split on whether they actually intervened in the 1973 war.

Should you come across any details on those 'lost' Saudis I would appreciate the reference or info.

Sokal says:

The Saudis are mentioned by all of the standard Israeli accounts, however the Saudi military may be quite right since these were not regular Saudi troops. In some accounts they are called "tribal"....but for one reason or another they seem to have had more cohesion than other irregular troops....perhaps due to their having operated under Egyptian command.

Thanks

[ October 24, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Sokal ]

Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

I feel the game needs major strides to cover WWII. If anything, the infantry game is way ahead of the simplistic arty game and generic armor game.

I'd agree that the artillery model is simplified, but the armor seems anything but generic. What do you mean?

Cold war has quite a bit in common with late war combat, the only downside really is that it didn't actually happen (from a wargaming point of view, obviously) but to me, the best thing about wargaming (and indeed the reason why it was invented) is that you can play 'what if?' scenarios. The Cold war is great for that, IMHO, and the data is there for a great deal of the equipment, as it was involved in a number of 'small' wars, mainly the Arab-Israeli conflicts, and tests were performed against AFVs from each side.

Originally posted by Aces_and_8's:

I would like to see the engine used to create an Ogre/GEV game. Love it, simple rules, swirling melees, and god help your crunchies if they get caught in the open...Wonder if Steve Jackson would allow it to happen.

Wow, there's a game I hadn't heard of in ages! Forgot all about it, but now you bringing it up, I recall that was a decent little game! I recall playing it in the army back in the mid/late '70s I think. smile.gif

Yea, I second that idea! BvB

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

I feel the game needs major strides to cover WWII. If anything, the infantry game is way ahead of the simplistic arty game and generic armor game.

I unfortunately agree that arty is simplistic, I will also add engineering (obstacles and the clearance of such).

As for armor, I don't think CMPlayer will get an answer as Mr. Tittles was banned a few weeks back IIRC, since he was a reincarnation of a former forum favourite...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

As for armor, I don't think CMPlayer will get an answer as Mr. Tittles was banned a few weeks back IIRC, since he was a reincarnation of a former forum favourite...

And I don't think he is looking for an answer anymore, as this thread is from October 2003... ;)tongue.gif:D

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

And I don't think he is looking for an answer anymore, as this thread is from October 2003... ;)tongue.gif:D </font>