Peng quits the weed, and challenges everyone.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Speedy:

After a long hard fight my Grandfather died last night, I hope you can all hoist a few drinks to him - he'd get a kick out of a bunch of people he never knew downing some grog in his honour. Being both an ex RAN man and an Aussie he did so enjoy going on a bender (especially those of the multi day variety).

Damn. Sorry 'bout that mate.

I'll always toast a digger, but I'll make it a special toast for your Granddad.

Well, now wait a minute. I can understand assualts upon my character. That is to be expected in a place such as this. But you dare insult Frank Sinatra? C'mon, the man was only the greatest entertainer of all time! Not only did he reinvent the concept of the pop song while he made his records for Capitol, also managed to achieve populararity while singing "old-fashioned" tunes in an "old-fashioned" style. Furthermore, he went on to produce many very good movies. From "On The Town" and "Anchors Aweigh", both incredible musicals with Gene Kelly, to dramatic roles like "From Here To Eternity" and "The Manchurian Candidate", he proved time and again his depth and breadth of acting. And lastly, he was one of the first celebrities to use his fame for a good cause. During McCarthyism and again during the civil rights movement, he made public service annoucements about how bad racism was and how everyone is good, no matter the color of their skin. In fact, after Sammy Davis Jr. was blackballed for marrying a white woman, it was Frank who convinced producers, club owners, and booking agents to let him work again. He was a great man, and most of those who snidely deride him have merely never experienced his work. So, if you want to insult me, feel free, but I shall brook no more cheap shots at Frank.

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Well, now wait a minute. I can understand assualts upon my character. That is to be expected in a place such as this. But you dare insult Frank Sinatra? C'mon, the man was only the greatest entertainer of all time! Not only did he reinvent the concept of the pop song while he made his records for Capitol, also managed to achieve populararity while singing "old-fashioned" tunes in an "old-fashioned" style. Furthermore, he went on to produce many very good movies. From "On The Town" and "Anchors Aweigh", both incredible musicals with Gene Kelly, to dramatic roles like "From Here To Eternity" and "The Manchurian Candidate", he proved time and again his depth and breadth of acting. And lastly, he was one of the first celebrities to use his fame for a good cause. During McCarthyism and again during the civil rights movement, he made public service annoucements about how bad racism was and how everyone is good, no matter the color of their skin. In fact, after Sammy Davis Jr. was blackballed for marrying a white woman, it was Frank who convinced producers, club owners, and booking agents to let him work again. He was a great man, and most of those who snidely deride him have merely never experienced his work. So, if you want to insult me, feel free, but I shall brook no more cheap shots at Frank.

Lad, PARAGRAPHS ARE YOUR FRIEND! Else no one will read what you post ... no guarantees if you DO use them of course.

Joe

p.s. Frank in one of his "public service" spots protecting the downtrodden ... Frankie and the Boys 1976 - Left to right: Paul Castellano, Gregory DePalma, Sinatra, Tommy Marson, Carlo Gambino, Aladena Fratianno, Salvatore Spatola, Seated: Joseph Gambino, Richard Fusco

Sinatra_and_Mafia.jpg

Whether or not Frank had any concrete ties to the Mafia is still up in the air. It has never been proven or disproven. Yeah, he knew some mobsters, but no one (except for those involved) know whether (as some allege) they helped his rise into show business. And isn't pretty much every Italian in the Mafia?

I recommend that people read "Why Sinatra Matters" by Pete Hamill. Don't worry, it's short, and I'll bet it's in your local public library. It's a fun quick little read.

Joe, I added paragraphs just for you. Ain't I good?

"And now, the end is here And so I face the final curtain My friend, I'll say it clear I'll state my case, of which I'm certain I've lived a life that's full I traveled each and ev'ry highway

And more, much more than this, I did it my way Regrets, I've had a few But then again, too few to mention I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway And more, much more than this, I did it my way Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew When I bit off more than I could chew But through it all, when there was doubt I ate it up and spit it out I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way I've loved, I've laughed and cried I've had my fill, my share of losing And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing To think I did all that And may I say, not in a shy way, "Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way" For what is a man, what has he got? If not himself, then he has naught To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels The record shows I took the blows and did it my way! Yes, it was my way"

*snort* sounds better... feckin' useless claptrap.

Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

I suppose I shall have to think about whether something with concrete ties can be still up in the air... or at the bottom of a lake?

It is all just so very, very... metaphysical.

Never liked legwarmers or Olivier Newton John. Strumpet. Mafia would have been too good, I say.

Good point, not ALL those who ended up at the bottom of the East River were necessarily in concrete overshoes, some may have been "dressed" by the more fashion conscious who used concrete smoking robes with matching ties.

Joe

Ole Blue Eyes

I wanna be loved by you

Just you and nobody else but you

I wanna be loved by you alone

pooh pooh bee doo!

I wanna be kissed by you

I wanna be kissed by you alone....

I couldn't aspire

To anything higher

Than to fill the desire

To make you my own

paah-dum paah-dum doo bee dum, pooooo!

I wanna be loved by you

I wanna be loved by you alone...

I couldn't aspire

To anything higher

Than to fill the desire

To make you my own

paah-dum paah-dum doo bee dum, pooooo!

I wanna be loved by you

I wanna be loved by you alone

paah-deeedle-eedeedle-eedeedle-eedum, poo pooo beee doo

847434.jpg

Speedy ...Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.. I'll raise my next glass of wine to him..