Tankfest, Bovington Tank Museum, 23 May

Yes, I'm pleased to report that Tank fest was a total success. I guess I had never seen a moving tank before in person before Sunday, but I got to see a bunch. All tanks did fine. Only the PzIII broke down at the very end of the day, but that hardly counts. I saw them all going round the track but the T-34, which I'm sorry I missed. Those of us that were there saw the first moving Tiger tank in some 60 years. Like seeing a living dinosaur, in a way. Worth the trip, I think.

Simon, you wouldn't want a sound mod of that Tiger. I'm afraid to say it misfired, and sounded a bit sick.

Worth nothing that the German tanks, which are petrol based, don't make a great rumbling noise. The maybach on the Tiger was more of a whining noise really, not a diesel rumble. Also, the German tanks are pretty quiet at idle. The PzIII parked some 50 meters away from us at one point, and was very difficult to hear with the engine idling.

Finally, I noticed that none of the WW2 era tanks made much creaky tread noise as they moved around. Nearly all of the sound was from the engine, and the treads were silent. It was only the modern tanks which made loud tread noises. Modders take note.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the Tank Fest was an awesome spectacle - the pics posted were great too (thanks, FK!). Was the Mk III missing some armor from around the gun mantle? And did the muffler covers on the rear of the Tiger have hole damage in them? Made me wonder if the current Tiger driver had backed into something ;)

One day a few years ago, I drove along the edge of the Ft. Sill artillery firing range in southwestern Oklahoma, USA, on a quiet two-lane road when I was stopped by flag-waving MP's who had parked a pair of Humvees across both lanes, some 50 yards apart. They were looking to one side of the road, but I couldn't see what they were looking at because of a low ridge blocking my LOS. Suddenly, there was a cloud of dust rising from behind the ridge, and a platoon of four Abrams MBTs came into view, traveling in column. They crossed the road going about 25-30 mph, crashed down on the other side, and disappeared down a shallow ravine. After a minute, the MP's mounted up and drove their Humvees, albeit more slowly, after the tanks, and I continued on my way. No idea why the tanks were at an artillery school / firing range - perhaps for a joint exercise - but it was a great sight!

Any damage on the tiger is original battle damage. It has been restored to immediately post-captured state. Yes there are holes in the exhaust covers, but AIUI, the exhausts themselves are undamaged.

Joe Ekins was also present. (Firefly gunner credited with 3 Tigers, including Wittman's)

On the way down the previous day, there was actually about 6 Saxon APCs travelling down the motorway in the opposite direction.

The gates to Bovington opened at 10:00 and I got there at 10:20 and found the car parks half full then with all the best spots around the arena already taken! :( To rub salt into the wound, I had forgotten my camera :rolleyes: BUT, luckily I did have my digital video camera and managed to capture most of the armour on that :D

Thanks to Flamingknifes I now have some pics of the event.

Did get the Tiger on film but it wasn't easy holding the camera above peoples heads.

Like the others, I was surprised that the Tiger didn't have a deep roar coming from the engine.I think it is quieter than a Sherman and even the PZ III was quiet on the move!

Didn't get chance to meet up with anyone as I had my future son-in-law tagging along with me and it was his first trip to Bovington and he wanted to look around the museum.

Will be going again next year.....but this time by myself! ;)

Originally posted by British Tommy:

I was surprised that the Tiger didn't have a deep roar coming from the engine.I think it is quieter than a Sherman and even the PZ III was quiet on the move!

BT,

One of the things we were talking about at the track was how quiet the MK III was. It Stopped maybe 25 metres away from us on the track and when it was sat there with the engine idle you had to really struggle to hear the engine. You can imagine that if it were behind a hedgerow and you drove passed with your sherman roaring away you would definitely not hear it.

Mark

Did you find out what the “big black tank“ was (is there a plaque or something)?

I’d guess it was a Vickers export vehicle that the Indians built as the “Vijayanta”. That would explain the Soviet style ERA. But all the “Vijayanta” I’ve seen have only had 6 roadwheels.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I don't know where one would get the impression that I'd be suicidal enough to take a female friend to Bovington.

Good Call.

However, the attitude does seem to change if they are allowed to drive one rather than passively watch.

My wife went berserk when I managed to get her an hours “stick time” moving cross country. We almost had to disassemble the vehicle around her because there was no way she was going to get out voluntarily.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I don't know where one would get the impression that I'd be suicidal enough to take a female friend to Bovington. [/QB]

I don't see why not. My wife really enjoyed Bovington, except for the part where I decided for both of us to skip lunch. And I'm not sure about the suicidal part, but you are definitely a couple of sips short of a full pint!

I could post some photo's of the weekend but they would be sherds of Slipware and 1800 clay pipes dug up from the back yard.

;)

Looks like I missed a good weekend down there and wished the blody Tiger had been fixed on my previous visit.

Good photo's flamingknives and Andreas sort your life out!

smile.gif

I wish I could sort mine out I have not played a CM game since you guys came over. Too many other things keep intruding.

:(

H

Broken pots, Broken bones mainly Cow & Budgie, Broken Glass, Broken clay smoking pipes, Broken plaster.

Very Old Rubbish...

Some of the nice finds were

1. A small (and I mean small, finger nail size) tea spoon.

2. A small shoe buckle.

3. A small bronze pin.

4. Small wood button & chalk button.

5. Small coin which we can not date as it has lost facial features due to corrosion.

We also found the remains of a 19th C path which was hidden under the turf.

Also a very old wall and cobble stones which will be explored further later this summer. I will let you know the date as it is bloody hard work and if you want to get involved you are more than welcome.

Free Food and Beer in return for labour.

;)

H

P.s. Still wish I had been able to clone myself and get down to see the Tiger move.